Britain Planning To Outlaw All Knives

http://www.captainsjournal.com/2017/07/18/britain-planning-to-outlaw-all-knives/

"Home Secretary Amber Rudd will today propose to make possessing them illegal everywhere, whether in public or at home.

A long list of dangerous weapons that glamorise violence will also be included in the total ban, putting them on the same legal footing as unlicensed firearms.

They include sword sticks, butterfly knives and blowpipes, as well as a range of martial arts weapons such as deathstars and handclaws.

Only people having the weapons for bonified ceremonial or religious reasons will be exempt from the ban."

The link is not very informative but outlawing "all knives" and "make possessing them illegal everywhere, whether in public or at home" is simply not practical. How would people cook? All restaurants would have to close. Something about the posting is incomplete or misleading...

That said, even if the banning is with regard to certain knives and instruments (most likely based on "looks"), then clearly the British lawmakers are not thinking this through. In the comments of the article link: "Can't fix stupid." On the other hand, the UK does have a number of "silly" laws like this, so this could go through... These guys need to learn how to think in terms of "economic/societal" incentives to nudge behavior in certain ways instead of outright banning/prohibiting things.

"citizens there are subjects of the queen, and have no rights"

I have a friend who works as a carpenter there and he left his carpenters knife on the dash of his car (full tool box was in the trunk) when coming home from work last year. Police saw it and arrested him. That was over a year ago and it he is still going through hell with the courst. It appears that the English courts don't have a rule of law like we do here in the U.S. as every single court can make individual decisions and interpret anything as they please.

Why we ever defended them in every war I don't know why. They are retarded and if you go there leave your folding knife at home... OR

Just don't go there.

It looks like it's more aimed at online sales. To be honest it'll probably come to nothing, we get stuff like this all the time and it just blows over. Hopefully ...

I can't seem to find another source detailing Britain's magical plan to completely ban all knives everywhere..(?)
I did find a number of recent articles* describing a push to ban online knife sales to private property--ostensibly to prevent minors from buying age-prohibited knives (blades over 3"), by forcing buyers to have them shipped to shops where they will be required to show ID.
*Like this one: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40640810

Contained in the above-linked article is the quote:
"Ministers also want to give police in England and Wales powers to seize banned knives.
By banning the possession of outlawed weapons - such as "zombie knives" and knuckledusters - on private property, officers would be able to seize them and make arrests."
>Make sense of that however you want to from a procedural standpoint; (no point in debating the rationality since we're all pretty much on the same page.)

Here's a link to the U.K. Government's basic knife laws, if anyone's curious:
https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

Illegal kusari-gama - a sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire

Well there goes the neighborhood. Feels like I'd chop myself in half swinging something like that. Off to google to see how this item was banned.

They are going to have to ban kitchen knives because most knife crimes are committed with them.

I don't know if you guys have seen the no point Chefs knife they have in the UK. Specifically made so it won't stab. Those will be the only legal knives.

The UK never ceases to amaze with its BS knife laws. Their policies make my local Canada look downright open to weapons and firearms.

http://www.captainsjournal.com/2017/07/18/britain-planning-to-outlaw-all-knives/

"Home Secretary Amber Rudd will today propose to make possessing them illegal everywhere, whether in public or at home.

A long list of dangerous weapons that glamorise violence will also be included in the total ban, putting them on the same legal footing as unlicensed firearms.

They include sword sticks, butterfly knives and blowpipes, as well as a range of martial arts weapons such as deathstars and handclaws.

Only people having the weapons for bonified ceremonial or religious reasons will be exempt from the ban."

All I can say is going to be hard to be a Beefeater without a knife.
Oh . . . and that is the most preposterous thing I have heard of since the days of Prohibition and we all know how well that worked out. (and I don't even drink much and I think it was silly).
(throwing star not "death star")

Sure are going to be a lot of new religions being dreamed up.
Wasn't that part of the recent problems where all this BS started.
Great . . . they've unintentionally invented a BS factory.

The legislation will only affect online sales, but the repercussions are huge.
There are only 5 decent places that sell a good range of knives in the UK & these laws will bankrupt every single one of them.
This will mean that it will be impossible to buy any decent knives in the UK except Moras & SAK's which most outdoor shops sell.
20 years ago, knives were a lot more accessible, but now, I don't know anywhere within a hundred miles of my location that sells a good range of knives?
But the criminals tend to just use kitchen knives instead of more expensive options.
If this comes in, then I'm off. I don't know where? But anywhere's better than here!

Can you imagine if people were forced to line up with all their knives to have the sharp ends ground off to make them legal.

John.

Those two Isis who attacked the houses of parliament and stabbed that policeman(rip) to death were using 12" ceramic kitchen knives bought from a Lidl store.

They got so close to all those A-hole MP`s no wonder this is there knee jerk reaction to being in danger for once in there lives.

John.

The legislation will only affect online sales, but the repercussions are huge.
There are only 5 decent places that sell a good range of knives in the UK & these laws will bankrupt every single one of them.
This will mean that it will be impossible to buy any decent knives in the UK except Moras & SAK's which most outdoor shops sell.
20 years ago, knives were a lot more accessible, but now, I don't know anywhere within a hundred miles of my location that sells a good range of knives?
But the criminals tend to just use kitchen knives instead of more expensive options.
If this comes in, then I'm off. I don't know where? But anywhere's better than here!

I don't blame you.

Now what about hammers? What if you carry one in your backpack?

The stuff people think up because they don't want to admit that it's people themselves who're the problem...

I'm wondering what Britain is going to do if there's a drastic uptick in knife-related crimes being committed with shivs. What legislative approach are they going to take when the weaponry is constructed from what can be easily obtained from any hardware store or steel foundry plant? I've made a ton of these things, I know how easy it is and how cheap they are to make, it's definitely not rocket science. What're they gonna do when they start encountering knives made out of plain, everyday bar stock steel?

I'm wondering what the heck is going to happen when people start cracking each other in the noggins with cricket bats.

Back