Review Brommeland Gunleather Prototype BK7 Sheath - Outstanding !

87Burban

Gold Member
br1.jpg

br2.jpg

Gary at Brommeland Gunleather made a prototype BK7 sheath for me, and I thought I would share some pics.

Gary made the original sheaths for Ethan back in the Cincinnati days.

It has a couple of unique features that I have not seen before:

• The main body of the sheath has a built in friction retention system. Knife is removed with thumb pressure in a manner similar to kydex sheaths. Simply grasp the handle and push, and the knife will pop free and slide up smoothly.
View attachment 702477

• The Retainer Strap is paracord and will fall free to the side when unsnapped. The strap serves only to pull the butt end of the knife against your body so it does not snag on brush. In the unlikely event that the paracord is accidently cut, it is easily replaced.

• There is "hinge point" where the sheath can flex at the mouth right where the front of the scales meet the blade (approx. to where your index finger would rest when gripping the knife). This allows some movement when the retainer is not in use, so when you are around camp it is easier to sheath/unsheath the knife and more comfortable.
View attachment 702476

For normal belt carry in camp, the friction retention is sufficient to keep the knife secure. Having both systems employed, the combination has been sucessfully jump-tested by airborne personnel with no issues.

Tough, functional, and a thing of beauty. This is the best sheath I have ever been privelege to handle and own.

I have seen my share of sheaths - some good, some not so much.

No dissapointments here.

I have included current contact information, and recommend you get in touch with him if you want an heirloom quality sheath.

http://www.bladeforums.com/members/brommeland.128450/

View attachment 702478

Last edited:
Very nice man, congrats.

i am kind of hankering for one of these sheaths...

i managed to score a few old ones on ebay (extras) for machaxen... good stuff. sometimes you can still find old Eagle sheaths too :D best stuff.

Gary is one of the finest leather craftsmen around...... He is really, really good and he has been around long enough that he knows what works......and what does not work.....

E

Thank you, Ethan. I truly appreciate your kind remarks.

I would also like to thank 87Burban for taking the time to post this review.

Thanks again guys!

Thank you, Ethan. I truly appreciate your kind remarks.

I would also like to thank 87Burban for taking the time to post this review.

Thanks again guys!

IMG_5736-4K.jpg

IMG_5735-4K.jpg

Thanks for sharing the pic of the Machax sheath. Some History there .....

Hi Bladite,

That is a very rare sheath. I made only a few of them in brown - I don't remember the exact number but it was around a hundred units IIRC. What really sets yours apart is that it is sterile - my regular production sheaths had my maker's stamp on the back. I only made a few sterile models for some "spooks" that I knew at the time......

ETA: I guard my clients' privacy and identities with absolute secrecy . I only mention this now because all of the guys that I remember making sterile sheaths for are all dead. Otherwise, I would not share such information.

Last edited:
Nice work B Brommeland ! I'm going to need a new sheath for my bk12 coming tomorrow! Is your lead time pretty long right now?

Sir,

Thank you for your interest in my work. In answer to your question, my backlog for production items (holsters, mag pouches, etc) is running around 8 weeks. For knife sheaths (and other one-off custom jobs) we're looking at something in the neighborhood of 12 weeks. Thanks again.

Sir,

Thank you for your interest in my work. In answer to your question, my backlog for production items (holsters, mag pouches, etc) is running around 8 weeks. For knife sheaths (and other one-off custom jobs) we're looking at something in the neighborhood of 12 weeks. Thanks again.

Ok, thanks for the reply!

Hi Bladite,

That is a very rare sheath. I made only a few of them in brown - I don't remember the exact number but it was around a hundred units IIRC. What really sets yours apart is that it is sterile - my regular production sheaths had my maker's stamp on the back. I only made a few sterile models for some "spooks" that I knew at the time......

ETA: I guard my clients' privacy and identities with absolute secrecy . I only mention this now because all of the guys that I remember making sterile sheaths for are all dead. Otherwise, I would not share such information.

well, yah :D

i think i have three of those. then again, i'm the guardian of the old Becker Machaxen :D

well, yah :D

i think i have three of those. then again, i'm the guardian of the old Becker Machaxen :D

Bladite i need some winning lotto numbers could you hook me up.;) You seem to be the man to see for EVERYthing rare lol

Back