BUCK 371 aka the Wal-Mart Special model or China Buck

This knife looks for all the world like a Rough Rider peach seed jigged bone stockman. Check the SMKW catalogue compare and see what you think. Made in the same factory, maybe?

This knife looks for all the world like a Rough Rider peach seed jigged bone stockman. Check the SMKW catalogue compare and see what you think. Made in the same factory, maybe?

Maybe but none of my RR knifes got soft walk n talk.

Sounds like it's a good working blade that may be something you give to a friend new to the knife world. Assuming you haven't fallen in love with it by now.

Zieg

I am going to get it out and carry it daily for several months and see what happens. Thanks for the idea 💡

I've got a 373 size in the rotation now. Just wanted to post my disappointment in it tonight. I cut open the plastic salad dressing bottles to use them to dip my veggies in while at work. Picture starting at one side of the neck, down the side, around the bottom, and back up the other side. It opens much like the lid of a trunk, LOL. The small blade of my SAK does this chore with aplomb, and the hollow grind of the Buck just wanted to hang-up at that beveled transition before the spine.

I've got a 373 size in the rotation now. Just wanted to post my disappointment in it tonight. I cut open the plastic salad dressing bottles to use them to dip my veggies in while at work. Picture starting at one side of the neck, down the side, around the bottom, and back up the other side. It opens much like the lid of a trunk, LOL. The small blade of my SAK does this chore with aplomb, and the hollow grind of the Buck just wanted to hang-up at that beveled transition before the spine.

Mine was touched up when I sent it back to Buck for the proud scale pins . Yours might need to be touched up. Plus Sak's generally cut better that most due to their thin blade profile.

Cutting plastic straps and such and it just fine. I gave it a a quick touch up on the Leather.

Man i just want to commend you for doing this. It is a great to have someone actually try it out and report back periodically. So thank you

I bought the Walmart China buck 373/379 combo about 4 years ago. I gifted the 379 to my sister last year because she wanted a small single blade.

In my opinion they are decent knives. I found the buck 420j2 steel held an edge better than my case stainless.

The walk and talk on mine were around a 9 when new, and softened down to a 3-4 after a few months and have stayed there. No need to help it back as the talk is fine, but it's a nicely light pull.

Like victorlouis, I stopped carrying the 373 as an edc (now just occasional carry) because I also did not prefer the hollow grind. In fact, I reground the clip blade to a near flat grind because I use that blade for food. The sheepfoot and Spey are fine as hollow ground because I use those more for utility.

Over time, the backsprings became barely non-flush with each other, not sure why - it's noticeable, but does not affect function nor is it bad enough to be an annoyance issue.

The dyed bone has slightly faded.

Currently, I probably use the 373 twice a month. I last used it to trim hard plastic - cutting down a shower door splash guard down to size. It's a fine knife, turns out I have a personal preference for flat ground knives. I'll have to ask sis what she thinks of the 379.

Have no regrets purchasing it 4 years ago.

Last edited:
Back