Buck Date Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pack Rat

Gold Member
xlarge.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read the following from other sources and was thinking this would be a good place to either have it confirmed or corrected.

early Buck knives made up to 1968 were marked on the reverse side only with the name (Buck)
1968-1972 knives were marked (Buck, USA) two lines.
1973-1981 knives were marked (Buck, the knifes model #,USA) three lines.
1982 to present marks were added to the knife to indicate the specific year of manufacture as per this thread.

I've heard all kinds of different stories on when Buck knives where marked with what. The above seems to be the most consistant story but it would be nice to be sure.

The 1980 info on the diagram to the right is incorrect in that it says the Three-Dotter has only two dots to the right of the 110 stamp......does not mention the dot to the left.

Thanks for the welcome Pack Rat,
That PDF is a nice resource for those Buck folders. My inquiry was more towards the tang marks we’ve seen over the years on the Buck fixed blade knives. If I posted in the wrong thread I’m sorry but what are you going to do with an FNG?

Hey guys,
Okiedriller here. I am a new member and this is my first viewing into the BladeForums.com.
I have previously had acquired the dating symbols which you posted, but I have been trying to find info on how to date the Custom Buck Kalinga knives. Some have the "anvil" some do not. There are no dots or other symbols on any of the knives I have.
Can anyone enlighten me with additional info?

Peace. More later,
Okiedriller

I don't know of any way to date them if they have no paperwork with them that dates them.

Sad, but that's the way it is.

Some folks with intimate knowledge of when certain options were offered and withdrawn can date certain knives fairly accurately.

Just a note.... These codes are not mine...They came from Buck.

I just stuck them here for everyone to have quick access to.

You may want to start your own thread if you have a question about some specific knife.

The thread is unlocked...

Buckcodes.jpg
buckdatingcodes.png

Moderators, someone please make this a sticky!!!

I've read the following from other sources and was thinking this would be a good place to either have it confirmed or corrected.

early Buck knives made up to 1968 were marked on the reverse side only with the name (Buck)
1968-1972 knives were marked (Buck, USA) two lines.
1973-1981 knives were marked (Buck, the knifes model #,USA) three lines.
1982 to present marks were added to the knife to indicate the specific year of manufacture as per this thread.

I've heard all kinds of different stories on when Buck knives where marked with what. The above seems to be the most consistant story but it would be nice to be sure.

Much obliged for this information! Very informative.

Anthony

Attention, Attention, Attention
The dot information at the top of the chart applies to 110/111/112 family of knives only.
Other Buck knives are seldom dated using a dot system.

They are dated by how they and with what they were made and by the code system after 1985......

300Bucks

That is good too point out 300Bucks, as it is overlooked by many.
Recall the "script BUCK" used in the mid-70's into the early 80's.
It appeared only on non-110/111/112 families such as the 700 series.
Are there any 300's with script?? If memory serves me, the earliest
300's are Schrade built and then Camillus took over in the 70's....do I have that right??

Well, I went back and looked at my 110 / 112 from the years, and low-n-behold, here
we have some Buck Custom shop pieces with "script-BUCK" on the blades. That shoots my earlier comment down as they are 88's thru 92's (when purchased new).

Buff, The old English script stamping you refer to was also used on the 500 series from late 1970's thru 84 . DM

Buff, The old English script stamping you refer to was also used on the 500 series from late 1970's thru 84 . DM

Yes it was. These two # 503 's were purchased new in either 1977 or 1978 as I recall..

256hijc.jpg

Great thread, btw.

Anthony

PS {Second Buck #503 had broken its tip in the late 1990's}

Hey guys,
Okiedriller here. I am a new member and this is my first viewing into the BladeForums.com.
I have previously had acquired the dating symbols which you posted, but I have been trying to find info on how to date the Custom Buck Kalinga knives. Some have the "anvil" some do not. There are no dots or other symbols on any of the knives I have.
Can anyone enlighten me with additional info?

Peace. More later,
Okiedriller
Okie, I didn't read this until now but welcome . Buck began using the Anvil stamp on knives in 2003 perhaps some one year before but to show it as a LE or custom this stamp was adopted and continues in use today . DM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back