Buck knives in movies.

pinnah, it could very well be a Schrade. It does have the same grind line and front bolster that is flat on the bottom.

EnjfHHg.jpg

TAH, yes. But then, the Schrade Bolster was picked up by Bear and Sons. I think they purchased a bunch of the Schrade tooling.

bc597.jpg

There is also a Texas based maker of work knives, the name of which escapes me, and they have a knife like the Bucklite, only with LB7 shaped handle.

Holy blade loss, Longmire!

Maybe he figured he wore the old knife out and replaced it with a newer 110!

The scene when he rolls the Bronco and cuts the seatbelt has been discussed before.
Haebbie suggested it looked like a Schrade "Uncle Henry LB7".

Longmireknifes1e1_zps5bf396bb.jpg

2Longmireknifes1e1_zps7a53cc32.jpg

Here you are: The actual Schade LB7 from the Schrade homepage with other pins. May be they used a LB7 counterfeit and dropped it when they found it out and used a 110 instead? Just a guess.

Haebbie

LB7_large.jpg

Last edited:
I was watching on MeTV Emergency a show from the late 60's and early 70's about an ambulance crew in LA. For three episodes the main character uses a 110 to split a paint leg, cut a kid free and to make a cut to suck poison out of a snake bite.

Here you are: The actual Schade LB7 from the Schrade homepage with other pins. May be they used a LB7 counterfeit and dropped it when they found it out and used a 110 instead? Just a guess.

Haebbie

LB7_large.jpg

Haebbie, notice how Longmire's knife has 2 pins near the front bolster? That's not consistent with the 4 pin LB7.

John_B: I remember that show!!!

TAH, yes. But then, the Schrade Bolster was picked up by Bear and Sons.

There is also a Texas based maker of work knives, the name of which escapes me, and they have a knife like the Bucklite, only with LB7 shaped handle.

Pinnah, are you thinking of Moore Maker? There is nothing in the Bear & Sons or Moore Maker line that resembles a 110.

TAH,

Here is a current Bear and Sons 5" lockback with the Schrade style front bolster. In fact, all of the lines, including the distinctive blade shape, are the same as the LB7, LB8, and 6OT.
bc597.jpg

Here is a shot of their LB7 knock...er... homage.
21O7NkE422L.jpg

Yes, I was thinking of Moore Maker. Thanks for the help!! They used to make a "Working Knife" in a lockback hunter style that looked like this.
P1020340.JPG

Notice the same squared off front "bolster" area and the distinctive Schrade lines of the blade. Folks on the Traditional forum suggested that Bear and Sons made these for Moore Maker, but that's conjecture.

Getting this back to Walt's mystery knife, perhaps the take-away is that just as the LB7 was a rip-off of the 110, there are also rip-offs of the LB7. I wonder if we're seeing an LB7 rip-off in that scene?

Getting closer. Kabar 1189. 5 pins, but the front bolster isn't right and it has a thumb rest. :mad:

DSCN5049.jpg

Buck 119 Cocobola Dymondwood in Into the Grizzly Maze. 119 did a great job. The rest of the movie, not so much.

into-the-grizzly-maze-poster.jpg

I seen a good one Monday night on what I guess you could call a reality cable TV show one of my favorite shows "Bizarre Foods America". In this one that I haven't seen before Andrew goes to some place in Alaska and stays with an Eskimo family. They were processing all kinds of wild game and the family at least for the game part didn't use anything that I could see but Bucks! They were starting out dressing a moose with a 119 and then when they got the initial part over with went to a 102 for the rest! They looked to be older 100 series since they had the red rings It made me want to get a 102 to go with my new 119!

I just saw an season 1 episode 20 of X-Files, "Darkness Falls", in which Scully uses a Buck 110 to cut a man out of a webbed cocoon.

Kurt Russell movie "The Thing". Character Clark, the dog handler, used a 110 multiple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kurt Russell movie "The Thing". Character Clark, the dog handler, used a 110 multiple times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That movies was not nearly as good as the original "The Thing from Another World" staring James Arness. Then again, there was no Buck knife in that movie.

Not a movie but it looks to me like on certain episodes of "Emergency" John carries a 110 with his gear and the episode where they go on vacation camping etc. it looks like they both have one. My wife and I really like this old show and I'm a big fan of Julie London who was very talented in music, a very intelligent actress as well and to my eyes a very attractive woman! What channel does "Longmire" come on? We just recently got cable again.

Yeah! Seeing DeSoto and Gage sporting Buck 110's on their belts was what whetted my appetite for one, back when I was a kid. As a grown-up, I chose a 112 Ranger as my EDC while working as a wildland firefighter, here in the pines of south Jersey. Still my favorite folder.

Jeff

In season 2 of Fargo actor Zahn McClarnon's character Hanzee Dent carries a Buck 124. I couldn't find any clear pictures on the internet so the next time I watch it I'll take some screen grabs.

Here's what I could find.

Telltale crow's beak butt cap and riveted handle slabs:
18b9684e98f78bfd335ad8c90df8970f.jpg

Shot of the blade:
fargo-hanzee-dent-poster-11x17_1500.jpg

Back