Buck "Survival" Knife?

TAH

Gold Member
Okay, this question is asked frequently on the forums, but I'm bored and this time, it is Buck specific. ;)

You know the drill...you're lost in the woods, mountains, jungle, desert (I'll even let you pick the location). Your gear consists of a firestarter, compass, stainless water bottle, and a tarp, but somehow magically, you get to choose one Buck knife (past or present model) for all your survival needs. Which knife would you choose and why? And of course, photos are always welcomed. :D

Aww, its hard to choose from amongst family.
As in, just who to save in a sinking ship...
No photos, but should that be the case
I would be looking at the buck frontersman
61hQ10VCRpL._SY355_.jpg

Why?
Because it would fit the requirement for the most part.

There was a similar thread about 4 years ago.... Dumped in the Woods, what knife and gun.

Yea, but that was soooo 2011. :D This time you don't get a gun. :p

Good choices so far. Thanks! :thumbup: I'm still deciding.

Aww, its hard to choose from amongst family.
As in, just who to save in a sinking ship...
No photos, but should that be the case
I would be looking at the buck frontersman
61hQ10VCRpL._SY355_.jpg

Why?
Because it would fit the requirement for the most part.

Funny, I just ordered mine :D

I'd probably take one of these
NightHawmGroupAway_zps87ccc675.jpg

NighthawkGroupSheaths_zpse150e5e9.jpg

Though I also think the 639 would be a good choice I'd probably go with the 651 Pigsticker as I like the sheath better, (more attachment options especially with the newer tan colored pigsticker sheath). The Buck Simonich Raven would be another one I'd consider as the S30v steel would hold and edge longer and it's light as a feather.

Mr. Hammer,

I'll put you down for the 651, since you're only allowed one knife. You can play with the other ones if you make it back home. :D

BTW, I'm diggin' that knife on the far right with the 119 blade.

Someday I will own a 651. Love it! But since I don't have one I've gotta go with the new 620 Reaper. Light weight, good reach in the off chance its your defensive weapon, true full tang construction, famous Buck 420hc works great, recurve design helps it chop, choil makes for a very comfortable choke up and in fact I can get 3 different holds on the handle and all feel great. Sheath sucks but does its job for now.

Mr. Hammer,

I'll put you down for the 651, since you're only allowed one knife. You can play with the other ones if you make it back home. :D

BTW, I'm diggin' that knife on the far right with the 119 blade.

Far right is a 619 I believe. I like its handles feel more than the phenolic 119 but alas it is getting rare.

651.....But since I don't have one I've gotta go with the new 620 Reaper.

Remember, I said "magically". You can choose any knife from the Buck line up, past or present. You don't have to own it. :thumbup:

Thanks for the 619 model number!

Thanks Bad. I might have to hunt one of those down.

After recently doing this, (wilderness travel) I'd choose Buck's new 106 hatchet. A well designed hatchet is the workhorse, capable of building shelter, helping with a fire and skinning game. I was a large knife fan but have recently changed. If you don't allow the hatchet as a choice. Then I'm with Bear Claw and would take the Hoodlum. It's just the closest. DM

Last edited:
Another vote for the Hoodlum. Really a great knife that I feel is under rated by many.

The molded handles of the 600th (602, 603, 619, 620, 639 ...), bekome weak after using - and not only hard using. These knives are absolutely not good for survival compared with no chance for knife change even though i like them because of the good grip of the handle

Haebbie

317 - big enough to kill a bear, small enough for a medical emergency, pocket carry. Can make a shelter and a fire without a Bowie but can't do delicate work with one. Just my old school rant.

I've decided on a 124. Large enough for light chopping and batoning. Small enough for detail work. Full tang construction. Wide, stout blade. Smooth Micarta handle for comfort during extended use. And it will look good for my camera interview when I make it back alive. :D

Okay, so far we have:

106 Hatchet – 1
124 Frontiersman – 3
317 Trailblazer– 1
620 Reaper – 1
639 Fieldmate – 1
651 Nighthawk – 1
888 Buck/Strider – 1
Hoodlum - 2

That's right. I'm keeping track. :devilish:

Back