Buck "Survival" Knife?

I'd choose Buck's new 106 hatchet. A well designed hatchet is the workhorse, capable of building shelter, helping with a fire and skinning game.

Cate, I'm the only one that opted for a hatchet.

David,

For some reason, I didn't clarify that you chose the new 106 Compadre Axe, not the old 106 Hunter's Axe. I'll do that now. Sorry.

060 Hoodlum - 5
065 Punk - 3
070 Thug - 3
102 Woodsman - 1
103 Skinner - 1
104 Campadre Camp Knife - 1
105 Pathfinder - 1
106 Compadre Camp Axe – 1
108 Campadre Froe - 1
110 Folding Hunter - 8
112 Ranger - 1
119 Special - 5
120 General - 2
124 Frontiersman – 15
184 Buckmaster - 4
185 Buckmaster LT - 1
187 Intrepid - 1
245 MWG Navy Seal - 2
429 Selector - 1
495 Ergo Hunter - 1
620 Reaper – 3
639 Fieldmate – 1
650 Nighthawk - 1
651 Nighthawk Pigsticker– 1
863 Selkirk - 3
888 Buck/Strider – 2
SwissBuck - 2

Cate, I had never seen a Buck 124 Frontiersman until I started hanging out on this Buck Forum several years ago - now I own two of them and the first one I had never handled until it arrived in the mail a couple of years ago. It is a big handful of a knife, a stoutly and beautifully built knife - take a chance - you won't be sorry. OH

Old Hunter,

Thank you.

Cate

Catherine,

The 119 is a great choice. There are a few differences between the 119 and 124 in that the 124 has a wider blade, thicker spine, stronger point, soldered guard, and it has a full tang - all features that would be advantageous to a survival knife. Below is a quick internet photo of the 120, 124, and 119 for comparison.

060 Hoodlum - 5
065 Punk - 3
070 Thug - 3
102 Woodsman - 1
103 Skinner - 1
105 Pathfinder - 1
106 Hatchet – 1
108 Campadre Froe - 1
110 Folding Hunter - 8
112 Ranger - 1
119 Special - 5
120 General - 2
124 Frontiersman – 14
184 Buckmaster - 4
185 Buckmaster LT - 1
187 Intrepid - 1
245 MWG Navy Seal - 2
429 Selector - 1
495 Ergo Hunter - 1
620 Reaper – 3
639 Fieldmate – 1
650 Nighthawk - 1
863 Selkirk - 3
888 Buck/Strider – 2
SwissBuck - 2

ozba.jpg

TAH,

Thanks to you too. Thank you for the pictures.

I did get to see one BUCK 120 (General) in a glass case at a big box sporting goods store here in town. I handled it. It was nice too.

My husband was with me and he told me that a long time ago he owned a BUCK 120. He said that it was a good knife. A hunting friend of his used it on and off.

Cate

I heard that. :surprise: :D

060 Hoodlum - 5
065 Punk - 3
070 Thug - 3
102 Woodsman - 1
103 Skinner - 1
105 Pathfinder - 1
106 Hatchet – 1
108 Campadre Froe - 1
110 Folding Hunter - 8
112 Ranger - 1
119 Special - 5
120 General - 2
124 Frontiersman – 15
184 Buckmaster - 4
185 Buckmaster LT - 1
187 Intrepid - 1
245 MWG Navy Seal - 2
429 Selector - 1
495 Ergo Hunter - 1
620 Reaper – 3
639 Fieldmate – 1
650 Nighthawk - 1
863 Selkirk - 3
888 Buck/Strider – 2
SwissBuck - 2

You have a good sized BUCK knife collection! :)

Woo hoo!

I am going to look up some more of the Buck models online because I don't know what some of those models are.

I only know what I own, have gifted to my husband, some that I have seen in the stores and from looking at the main BUCK KNIFE website. (Plus what I have in one other knife - another brand.)

(I knew/know about my late husband's knives and my MT husband's knives because he changed his knives around with buying, gifting and selling. I helped him with his lists too.)

I learned a lot here in this BUCK knife section and it helped me figure out my own needs and wants.

Thank you and thanks to all of the good BUCK KNIFE people here.

Thanks to the nice BUCK KNIFE people in Idaho who answered some of my questions when I call them too!

They have a good website when I look up specific models that suit my needs, wants and hands.

Cate

Cate, I'm the only one that opted for a hatchet. If that's what you were inquiring about. DM

Oh no, I was talking/writing to the original poster with his list of what was allowed in his original post.

I would want to have an axe, a rifle, ammunition and two knives but I tried to reply on what he was allowing us to have for survival. :)

I would want a few other things too!

A hatchet is good to have too.

Cate

Ok. As I was reading it caught my eye that you were the only other one that mentioned 'the axe'. Thus, I thought, you've done some lengthy camping. Glad you're among us. DM

You have a good sized BUCK knife collection!

Catherine,

The above list is a running tally of everyone's vote for which Buck knife they would choose in a survival situation. I only wish it was a list of my collection. :)

^^^

TAH,

Dang.

Oh okay! Duh... grin.

I looked at that again and thought, "Holy moly!"

My camp axe is another brand, Estwing, if I am allowed to say it here.

I have another brand for my 'hawks. (It is on my BF profile.)

You can tell that I have been up with the storm and aches here.

Cate

Ok. As I was reading it caught my eye that you were the only other one that mentioned 'the axe'. Thus, I thought, you've done some lengthy camping. Glad you're among us. DM

Thank you.

Yes, I have camped a lot in 65 years but I boated much more in my life time. Sail boats and power boats with my late husband.

I am into swimming a lot - I am part fish.

I camped non stop for 1/2 year up in the Sapphire Mountains on a private ranch when I first moved to Montana. (They had a shower, a bathroom, and a small laundry.) I was in my former Coleman pop up camper. I lived in my Coleman camper and stayed in a small log cabin on the same ranch for the other part of the one year that I lived up there in the mountains. It was remote, beautiful and desolate but sweet! It was butt up to wilderness on a winding mountain road. They only plowed so far up the road too.

The Yaak region and other parts of Montana where I go with my husband are even more remote.

I camped with my late husband too.

Cate

^^^

TAH,

Dang.

Oh okay! Duh... grin.

I looked at that again and thought, "Holy moly!"

My camp axe is another brand, Estwing, if I am allowed to say it here.

I have another brand for my 'hawks. (It is on my BF profile.)

You can tell that I have been up with the storm and aches here.

Cate

I have one of them Estwings leather handled sportsman axes that goes on our camping trips. :D

Yep, I have the same one. I like mine. Woops, a Freudian slip. DM

Last edited:
This post, Cate and this Sunday's SPS have me leaning heavy toward a 119! The great thing is I can get one locally; a big plus. If it's good enough for Cate in MT it should be fine for here!

This post, Cate and this Sunday's SPS have me leaning heavy toward a 119! The great thing is I can get one locally; a big plus. If it's good enough for Cate in MT it should be fine for here!

I'll take that as another vote for the 119, which is quickly gaining on the 110.

060 Hoodlum - 5
065 Punk - 3
070 Thug - 3
102 Woodsman - 1
103 Skinner - 1
105 Pathfinder - 1
106 Compadre Camp Axe – 1
108 Campadre Froe - 1
110 Folding Hunter - 8
112 Ranger - 1
119 Special - 6
120 General - 2
124 Frontiersman – 15
184 Buckmaster - 4
185 Buckmaster LT - 1
187 Intrepid - 1
245 MWG Navy Seal - 2
429 Selector - 1
495 Ergo Hunter - 1
620 Reaper – 3
639 Fieldmate – 1
650 Nighthawk - 1
863 Selkirk - 3
888 Buck/Strider – 2
SwissBuck - 2

It might be worth reminding our gentle readers that the scenario here is the Bear Grylss scenario, in which you're magically air dropped into a "survival" situation with whatever Buck you want to have with you. Or maybe we can call it the Star Trek scenario in which we're stuck in the woods and Scottie can teleport us with a single knife because the Klingons have been mucking with the teleporter again.

I suspect that if a different question were asked, like, "What single Buck knife do you actually carry on your backcountry trips?" would generate a different set of winners and losers.

I changed my vote to the Hoodlum once I groked the question. But honestly, I don't own a Hoodlum and I'm not going to carry anything close to that big on my backcountry trips. This is what I actually do carry (not a vote change).

Trail Stuff by Pinnah, on Flickr

It might be worth reminding our gentle readers that the scenario here is the Bear Grylss scenario, in which you're magically air dropped into a "survival" situation with whatever Buck you want to have with you. Or maybe we can call it the Star Trek scenario in which we're stuck in the woods and Scottie can teleport us with a single knife because the Klingons have been mucking with the teleporter again.

It's a fun thread. You're being snarky. :rolleyes:

I suspect that if a different question were asked, like, "What single Buck knife do you actually carry on your backcountry trips?" would generate a different set of winners and losers.

Feel free to start your own thread and I'll be happy to reply. ;)

I changed my vote to the Hoodlum once I groked the question. But honestly, I don't own a Hoodlum and I'm not going to carry anything close to that big on my backcountry trips.

That's why I asked the question the way I did. To see which Buck knife (past or present) someone would want if it could "magically" appear. This fantasy scenario gives better results as to which Buck knife might be the best survival knife, not which knife you usually carry. The knives I usually carry on my backcountry trips would not be my first choice in a survival situation.

And I'm not sure what "groked" means. All I found was, "A frightening creature most frequently used to scare children." :eek:

...you're lost in the woods, mountains, jungle, desert (I'll even let you pick the location). Your gear consists of a firestarter, compass, stainless water bottle, and a tarp, but somehow magically, you get to choose one Buck knife (past or present model) for all your survival needs. Which knife would you choose and why? And of course, photos are always welcomed. :D
Here's another vote for the 124 Frontiersman. Ideally, I'd want to take a 124 and a 110, but if I could only pick one, it would be the 124.

Oh... did someone say pictures? :D (I just picked up this '97 from gedlicks.)

124_DSC_1043.jpg

124_DSC_1047.jpg

:thumbup:

I vote for the 119. I've used it for field dressing deer and camping, you just can't go wrong using it. It's currently the largest buck I own but I think a 120 is in the near future.

Back