Buck Vantage Pro review

I just picked up the tan version of the Buck Vantage Force Pro. The blade is perfectly centered, there is zero blade play in any direction, and the scales and the liners match up perfectly.

Buck_Vantage.jpg

The hole in the blade is ok for opening the knife in a controlled fashion. I don't think it works as well as a thumstud or a round hole like on Spydercos for "flicking" the knife open, but it is serviceable. The flipper works great and the blade opens quickly and smoothly.

I think I am going to like this knife!

I just picked up the tan version of the Buck Vantage Force Pro. The blade is perfectly centered, there is zero blade play in any direction, and the scales and the liners match up perfectly.

Buck_Vantage.jpg

The hole in the blade is ok for opening the knife in a controlled fashion. I don't think it works as well as a thumstud or a round hole like on Spydercos for "flicking" the knife open, but it is serviceable. The flipper works great and the blade opens quickly and smoothly.

I think I am going to like this knife!

Its my favorite Buck knife. Feels great in the hand and looks classy in real life.:thumbup:

Sorry to ressurrect a year old thread, but I didnt want to start a new one with what I want to say being so on topic.

I am really looking into purchasing a vantage pro, but am concerned with the issues with blade centering and flipper action people were having in the past. In 2016, can anyone confirm if Buck has fixed their QC issues nowadays?

And on another note, am I more likely to purchase a Vantage Force Pro with no centering or flipper issues, as compared to the regular Vantage Pro version?

I bought a used one a little while ago so I cant say for sure how old it is, but it has some flipper issues. It doesn't really have a strong enough detent to flip reliably without wrist action. Aside from that, it is a very nice knife. It is very smooth, centered, and locks up tight. It would be nice if it functioned 100% as a flipper, but its not a deal breaker for me. Mine is the Pro with G10 and S30V steel, its not a Force model. Around the same time, I purchased a NIB Avid that I gave to my father. It was not as smooth, or nicely finished, but the flipper was much better.

Just saw this thread. I ve been carrying my vantage now for 7-8 years now, and love it. Anyone know if there's someone that makes scales for them? Would love to get some stag ones

I like mine so well (Pro, large and small) I'm getting ready to buy another small for a back up. I absolutely hate losing a knife and the back up keeps me at ease. I know,, weird.

I don't understand people fussing about the flipper and hole on the blade. You can still one-handedly open the blade by using the flipper first to just enough expose the hole a bit more (blade doesn't have to open all the way), then continue to fully open the blade using the hole. With enough practice the transition can be seamless.

I've had the large Force Pro with blue/black scales for many years now and it still makes it in to my edc rotation. I've used this S30V blade harder than any other blade I have in this steel. The black finish has held up amazingly well, there is no blade play whatsoever, and the liner lock still hits just shy of dead center like it always has. The ergos are superb and the clip is one of the best.

This knife is almost perfect for a hard use folder that works equally well as an EDC. What would I change? The flipper could use just a tad bit more length. The pivot has never failed but it causes me undue worry due to its small diameter. I think that milling out the liners would bring some welcome weight reducton and shift the balance point a bit forward, making the knife a little more nimble.

At first I had a great idea for a longish review on this knife, but I'm tired and not feeling up to it. So, here's a short sweet review that I'll break down into things I like and don't about the Vantage Pro.
Thanks for the review. Question: Can't see your pics, I'm logged into BF. Why is that?

I bought one of these due to it meeting my requirements of S30V left handed carry option and flipper deployment. I was happy with the blade shape and the feel of the knife but the flipper tab is just too small. I could not rapidly deploy like I can with a Mantra or my Domino. It is a nice knife for the price but overall disappointed in the flipper execution.

Back