Buddy needs/wants 3.5 Hinderer

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazy otter

BANNED
So a buddy of mine who has served for many years wants a 3.5 inch spanto. Now I've never owned a hindered so I couldn't give him much info and he isn't rich his wife passed a few years a go leaving him with 2 beutiful daughters. Needless to say even with the mil discount it's still too much for him. Ideas how I can help him out? I haven't seen any cheap beaters ect and this man deserves one.'I just personally don't need that much knife myself. But any ideas are welcome.

What does he think of the Zero Tolerance collaboration?

I honestly don't know? He is so sold on Hinderer I don't wanna let him down. I know he has seen and handled
a few but nothing ever came of it or got mentioned about them. I certainly right now can't drop the coin on a ZT or Hinderer and am hoping his family puts in on this. I just want to do this for him cuz of how good of a single dad he is and still does the job he does in the military. Truly one of last good guys out there unti he sicks his kids on means and I got to entertainer but a few cuss words and well timed farts keeps those two laughing....lol.

I've come to the conclusion he is gonna have to deal without one...lol. I don't have the cash judging by the prices I've seen. He will be bummed but oh well it's just to much cash for me to spend.

I would imagine you know this already but the exchange occasionally has some pretty decent deals on lightly used Hinderers. And the ZTs are pretty darn nice, something like 0566 can be had for around $100 and its a great worker knife imo, not true substitutes for the real thing, but still a great knife.

A brand new ZT/Hinderer 0562 collaboration goes for $200 brand new. It's about the same size as a XM-18 3.5" and of great quality.

With all due respect, if money is that tight, knives shouldn't be something even remotely on the radar.
Didn't mean to come across in a negative way, but most of us has been there at one time in our life and priorities are just that, priorities. Hobbies that include $400 knives are the fluff in life. There was a time in my life when saving an extra $10/week would have been tough. At that time I didn't have expensive toys, simple as that.
If the OP can save an extra $10/ week, it won't be that long before his buddy will be able to get one.

Last edited:
With all due respect, if money is that tight, knives shouldn't be something even remotely on the radar.
Didn't mean to come across in a negative way, but most of us has been there at one time in our life and priorities are just that, priorities. Hobbies that include $400 knives are the fluff in life. There was a time in my life when saving an extra $10/week would have been tough. At that time I didn't have expensive toys, simple as that.
If the OP can save an extra $10/ week, it won't be that long before his buddy will be able to get one.

Great post. That's what I been having to do

I'm sorry I didn't make it clear that he is deployed again and his daughters wanted to get him one and send it in a care package. So the burden fell on me. So I'm sorry for the confusion. I'll track something down I'm pretty sure.

Life is Full of challenges at times, Those times when we can barely see the light at the end of the tunnel will hopefully precede better times and
when those better times are upon us, we can reflect back and remember.
As was mentioned, it may not be quick but setting aside a little can result in a tidy sum a little ways down the road, Perhaps for one heck of a coming home gift.

Last edited:
Lazy otter, there's almost no difference between buying a good Zero Tolerance that Rick Hinderer designed and one built in his shop. The differences are very hard to spot unless you're a seasoned knife guy. You really may want to look for a ZT 0566 or a ZT 0560/0561. You can find the 0566's for around $115 bucks or a used 0560 for around 150 or so. They're both great knives with a great design. I have carried all three and can say without a doubt that any of them serve the same purpose. The situation you mention was a reason these collaborations were done, anyway. People that can't afford an XM can still get their hands on a premium knife that serves well.

Your situation does tug at the heartstrings but it's hard to have anyone offer tangible help because most of us are going through our own hardships. Sometimes some of us are able to free up some cash and buy something like this, sometimes guys want it so bad they scrimp and save for a year or two and buy one. I know I'd like to help but I have a plate full of crap myself.

Good luck to you and your buddy, hopefully you can find something that will lift his spirits being separated from his kids. Just as a food for thought, when I was separated from my kids on a deployment, the best thing I could've gotten were videos of my kids being goofy, playing around with smiles and laughter showing me they were ok and telling me they loved me. Don't underestimate the simple things. Send some videos, send some homemade artwork from the kids, send some memento that he knows the kids used. Mine is a simple cup that my son used. That's probably my most cherished "thing" I own and it's nothing but a cheap dollar store toy story cup. I use it everyday and am extremely possessive of it. It was my son's favorite thing and now it's mine. I know what it is but sometimes value transcends worth in spite of reality. I'm sure your buddy feels the same way.

Last edited:
$10 May as well be $100 to me I was injured overseas and my checks are small and leave me nothing per month. So great ideas just not possible and no I'm so jacked up I can't work so those ideas are out ! But I'm sure things will workout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back