Building Another Bow!

So, I've got some seasoned staves ready, and am all set to make another bow. At the same time, I'm looking to expand my khukuri collection. If anyone is interested in trading, let me know! I'd like to get at least 2 made before bow season, and now is the time to start.

I hope you will post your work and progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TC! I was JUST working on making a bow. Not having a seasoned stave I made a very poor example out of a piece of maple...

I would be interested in more education, correspondence, and a possible swap of some kind!

TC! I was JUST working on making a bow. Not having a seasoned stave I made a very poor example out of a piece of maple...

I would be interested in more education, correspondence, and a possible swap of some kind!

Glad your interested! I'll put up pics as it goes. Here's a link to the last one I did on the forum. Read it through to the end; the first stave was bug shot and didn't work out.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1275295-Building-a-bow-with-a-Khukuri!

I'd be glad to help you with your project! Fire away with any questions you have.

Last edited:
Reading your old thread I find this gem, I wanted to die:
"Good luck with yours! I love rock maple! My favorite is vine maple, but the great thing about any white wood is you don't have to deal with this working the back ring business, just get the bark off and away you go.

I'm glad you folks are enjoying the build so far! It might seem surprising that I'm doing this kind of work with a khukuri for the first time, but the truth is, the khukuri is making this work easy! I've used axes, hatchets, tomahawks, big knives, draw knives, etc. This tool is so well balanced, so practical, it is truly a pleasure to use. So far, this is some of the easiest bow building I've ever done. "

You mean I didn't have to try and make the back one layer? That was HARD on maple!

Reading your old thread I find this gem, I wanted to die:
"Good luck with yours! I love rock maple! My favorite is vine maple, but the great thing about any white wood is you don't have to deal with this working the back ring business, just get the bark off and away you go.

I'm glad you folks are enjoying the build so far! It might seem surprising that I'm doing this kind of work with a khukuri for the first time, but the truth is, the khukuri is making this work easy! I've used axes, hatchets, tomahawks, big knives, draw knives, etc. This tool is so well balanced, so practical, it is truly a pleasure to use. So far, this is some of the easiest bow building I've ever done. "

You mean I didn't have to try and make the back one layer? That was HARD on maple!

Ouch man! I bet that was a chore! No, go easy on yourself and just work the belly side, and let the bark pop off while tillering.

I'm going to go out in the woods and find a nice stave this time, long - straight - clear...
This was just a walking stick I cannibalized and butchered.
I am blown away by the fine shavings you were able to take in making your hackberry bow. Awesome job.

edit: Wow, I am such a dummy. I just realized that I was foaming at the mouth over your axe-handle thread, I even commented on the videos..and now I realize it was your bow-shooting video I had been meaning to watch!

Strange!

I've been watching boyering videos all week.

Last edited:
Ok, here we go! I've to Osage on the left, and Vine Maple on the right. I cut the vine maple from the Hood River area about 5 months ago, and the Osage is the same stave from my last bow making thread. I've taken a bit off of it, but haven't done much to it really. Just have to decide which one to start first!

n0KDMueh.jpg

Ok, here we go!

I've marked out the center of the bow. Once I've done that, I grip the stave about an inch below center, and mark roughly where I want the handle and fades to be.
01oZYxwh.jpg

gdwwgARh.jpg

Now, I start removing wood from the belly side from the tips, working towards the handle.
glsfZmKh.jpg

I'm working up towards the handle section.
An86j2Fh.jpg

That's about what I've got for today. It's a good stave, so at this point I think any failure will be my fault.
Je37kFyh.jpg

I always though Vine Maple was Gods punishment for logger clear cutting the forest. In the world of wood it's a weed. But it's the perfect wood for a bow. Never thought about it.

Used to hate cutting a real tree up and having a trapped limb of vine maple pop loose and about take your head off.

Makes a good catapult to I reckon. Got a bunch of the stuff growing down one side of my place, might have to keep eyes peeled for a straight good piece to set aside.

Good luck finding a straight piece! This is the straightest piece I've ever worked, and it still wanders all over the place.

Now that I'm home and I see the pictures, wow! You've got some control!

I just got a very straight-grained red oak 1x2x6'! And a bottle of titebond II and some extra-strength fiberglass tape!

Good luck finding a straight piece! This is the straightest piece I've ever worked, and it still wanders all over the place.

Yeah it ain't known for growing straight at all. I don't plan on building a bow, was gonna save if for somebody but I reckon this stuff grows about everywhere so probably not worth it. If I do happen to find a good straight piece I'll set it aside.
I think think of a tree that was even more useless than Vine Maple though.

Cottonwood. Usually rots on the inside, very unpredictable. A loggers night mare. My side yard has a bunch of them too. 3 are big enough to cut down for firewood. Not even great for that but it will burn if it gets dry enough.

Luckily it seems like there are a lot of good directions for turning this stick into a bow-like-object. I'm going to taper down to 1/2 inch at the tips... This is very exciting, nice straight grain and thick rings.

Something like a 'triangle bow'? or is it pyramid bow I forget.
This is a good reference for me so far:
http://poorfolkbows.com/oak.htm

This is exciting, seems a lot better than my last attempt already.

I've got a while yet but I've got to figure out a string. It looks like I'm going to glue on a handle.

Any suggestions on arrow acquisition?

Luckily it seems like there are a lot of good directions for turning this stick into a bow-like-object. I'm going to taper down to 1/2 inch at the tips... This is very exciting, nice straight grain and thick rings.

Something like a 'triangle bow'? or is it pyramid bow I forget.
This is a good reference for me so far:
http://poorfolkbows.com/oak.htm

This is exciting, seems a lot better than my last attempt already.

I've got a while yet but I've got to figure out a string. It looks like I'm going to glue on a handle.

Any suggestions on arrow acquisition?
You found a great reference there! Follow the instructions verbatim. I wouldn't call that a pyramid bow, rather, a traditional
American Flatbow. It even shows you how to back it with fiberglass tape and Titebond II!

Arrows. I've been making my own for a while now. You can buy raw shafts online, but if you have a good hardware store, dowels work too. Go for something close to 11/32, or 23/64. But if your just getting started, I'd say go to an archery shop and get yourself a half dozen good cedar or aluminum arrows. Much safer that way!

Yeah it ain't known for growing straight at all. I don't plan on building a bow, was gonna save if for somebody but I reckon this stuff grows about everywhere so probably not worth it. If I do happen to find a good straight piece I'll set it aside.
I think think of a tree that was even more useless than Vine Maple though.

Cottonwood. Usually rots on the inside, very unpredictable. A loggers night mare. My side yard has a bunch of them too. 3 are big enough to cut down for firewood. Not even great for that but it will burn if it gets dry enough.

Yeah, Cottonwood! Nasty stuff, has to be bone dry, and the smoke always stinks.

There seem to be a number of varieties of Maple that fall under the designation "Vine Maple". The stuff I'm working has a leaf that looks like this, and I've only ever seen it grow on the wet part of the state.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...80b946c3952e58e7f07a7acf12375446o0&ajaxhist=0

Is that what you've got Bawanna?

Back