Bushcraft knife

I was wondering if those who have been able to use both the Polaris and the psk sr, have a preference between the two? Specifically for bushcraft neck carry. The Polaris comes in 5/32, while the Psk comes in 1/8 . Thoughts?

I'm a big guy and I think either one would be too big for neck carry. However, I've used both for belt carry and they are quite comfortable. The Polaris would probably be my choice for neck carry.

I hear ya with the size, but going winter backpacking, it's really convenient not to have to fumble about trying to get to a belt sheath under parkas, and pack straps

I know exactly what you mean about winter clothing, and access. I have an older PSK Sr in 1/8 O-1, with a cord wrapped handle. It is longer than what I usually carry for a neck knife, but isn't too heavy for me and it does have enough blade length that it's able to serve as a stand-alone knife for discrete winter carry. I picked this one up with those thoughts in mind. The only issue is that on this one, which is an older one that I got second hand from a friend, there isn't near enough retention on the sheath for me to even attempt to wear it in an inverted position, and the sheath isn't really set up for up-right neck carry. I think there might be enough room for another rivet, which would fix the problem, but if not I'll have to make another sheath for it before I could use it in that role.

My PSK Sr is 5/32" and rigged for neck carry -- I love it.

I have no experience with the Polaris.

-Stan

Hey mist, Scott makes really nice leather neck sheaths, skookum style. I have one for a smaller blade but have seen others like Stan with psk srs that have them. Not sure how it would work with cord wrap though, Scott would know

I do better with leather then kydex when it comes to sheaths. I think the handle up leather sheath for neck knives is better.
Scott

You could go with a baldric rig for winter as well. I made one with reigns from tractor supply with little or no mods to a belt sheath.
I can post pics later if you want.

Last edited:
DCMan,
Having vast experience with most of Scott's knife line, I can recommend any model depending on the intended tasks. If you're sold on the Polaris blade shape, have Scott make one in 1/8 stock for lighter weight and either cord wrap the handle or go with thinner micarta scales. This would give you a fuller sized knife to handle most outdoor or emergency tasks.

I have a scaled up Polaris that I like very much, but it's no neck knife, the reason I said Polaris was because its a pretty slender design in its original profile, but the psk Sr is as well.

Here's a thought, Mini Polaris. About the size of a UNK maybe a 1/2" longer, 7 1/2" overall.
Scott

Back