Recommendation? Bushcraft knife

Hi guys,

I'm not new to camping or outdoors, but I've always just used whatever knife I had laying around (cheap folding knives, multi tools, dull axes, kitchen knives). Finally wanting a real knife, I purchased a SOG Seal Team last year. Unfortunately, I found that it was too big for finer carving tasks, not as good as an axe for wood processing, and the serrated portion close to the handle is useless. I've decided that carrying a hatchet for heavier wood processing and a smaller knife for carving and meal prep is a better solution.

So, I'm looking for a proper bushcraft knife. I've researched for a few weeks, but finally felt I needed help. So I came here.

Here are my requirements:

- Full tang
- Scandi grind, no secondary bevel
- 4-4.5" blade
- $100 or less is preferred
- Available for pickup or delivery in Canada

Any suggestions? I have a few in mind but none seem to meet all of the requirements above.

Thanks in advance.

Boss

The Mora Garberg seems to meet all of your requirements, though if it were me I would just get a couple cheaper Moras. They are great little knives. Good for carving. And I haven't managed to break one yet. But if I did it wouldn't be a problem because I would just have to go out and spend 12 more dollars ;)

Another option, but one that doesn't quite meet ALL of your requirements is the Gerber Strongarm. It is a saber grind, not scandi, but it is stout and not too big, and very affordable.

Thanks Addy.

The Garberg does seem to fit the bill, but I hesitate to pay over $100 for a Mora. Also, I'm looking for something that will last in the backcountry, where my life could depend on it. I may only have an axe and a Swiss army knife if my main knife breaks.

The Strongarm looks interesting. One of the main reasons I wanted a scandi grind is for ease of sharpening. I can sharpen my woodworking chisels easily, but suck with kitchen knives. The larger flat seems to help considerably.

Boss

The Strongarm has a somewhat larger blade than you're looking for. I'd recommend a Buck Vanguard. Some on this board say that Buck's 420hc is better than Gerber's. Since you use a hatchet for wood processing the rattail tang of the Buck will hold up fine for you. If you check out Buck's website they have a variety of knives that may work well for you.

The Strongarm has a somewhat larger blade than you're looking for. I'd recommend a Buck Vanguard. Some on this board say that Buck's 420hc is better than Gerber's. Since you use a hatchet for wood processing the rattail tang of the Buck will hold up fine for you. If you check out Buck's website they have a variety of knives that may work well for you.

Buck does do a good job with their 420HC, and I would second the reliability of a rattail if you are using a hatchet for wood processing. I have an old mid-century hunting knife from Solingen with a rattail, and it served me well from tundra to the desert and coast to coast with just a rattail. I wasn't hammering it into pavement or anything, but as long as you don't abuse your knives, a well made rattail is more than adequate.

I would spend just a little more than the $100 and get a TOPS B.O.B. Great knife.

Condor Bushlore is another decent one.

Also LT Wright has a bunch of decent offerings but are a little over you price range.

If all else fails, you can buy 5 Mora's off amazon for under your budget

Last edited:
I disagree with your concerns with the garberg. Thinking you'll break it is laughable. For $100 you might be able to get three mora bushcraft blacks. Or a Becker 16 (not scandi).

I know I'm wasting my time but for $100 for could get a mora garberg and an eldris. Nice little combo.

I like the Garberg, my wife has staked claim to it already! I don't think you'll break that Garberg under normal woodscrafting use and you can get them for under a $100. Battle Horse and LT Wright come to mind as well for great scandi blades.

My favorite bushcraft knife is an LT wright but that's at least twice your price range so I agree with an earlier comment -- spend just a bit more and get a TOPS BOB Fieldcraft. That's the best bushcraft knife on the market for the price in my opinion.

If you watch the exchange you can probably even get it within your price range since they go for just over $100 new.

Last edited:
Take a look at Finnish Puukko. I would suggest either an Ahti or a Wood Jewel. Roselli are nice (esp the "carpenter or "hunter") all within your price range.

Rich

LT Wright developed that Bushcraft HC specifically to come in under the $100 price point. But if you are willing to go with 1075, how about one of the knives from Condor? I see their Bushlore for like $40 all of the time.

7 knives two brands and entertaining

check out there other videos too! lots of real world testing. they do prefer the $200+ knives but also budget knives.

these guys also recommend Mora's too especially for the prices.

Last edited:
^^^ I second this regarding Lamnia. I have found the LionSteel knives which I have been keeping an eye on for less (new) as compared to their USA dealers.

check out the Enzo trapper. I got mine in kit form with a sheath for around $80. Lots of choices of steels. The kit is real easy to put together and is a fun little project
DjLgkHG.jpg

Mora Garberg
Condors swamp romper if you're ok with non stainless and want to save a few bucks.

Real Steel Bushcraft if you want to save money and have an almost stainless d2 blade.

All similar standard drop point style scandi ground knives. The real steel is 0.02" thicker at the spine ftr.

And pick up a small cheap rough rider (or colt) slip joint to rock in your pocket for extra small/fine jobs. I prefer congress and trapper patterns.

Last edited:
I've camped for years. I always take an axe for splitting wood and a bow saw to get it ready. I don't use a knife for "bushcrafting", I mostly use it for food prep. I use a Buck Vanguard and/or a Condor Bushlore.

Back