Bushcrafter pics

Rusty,

I appreciate that you did this video. What I liked about it were your comments about how you feel about the knife after using it for a period of time. What I think could use improvement on future videos is less wide angle on your setting and a closer focus on the knife that is the subject of the video. It is hard to appreciate the subtleties of Andy's great work from a distant focus. Videos are hard to do perfectly the first few times. I have not even attempted it yet, so I applaud you for going for it. Please take my comments as constructive suggestions, not meant to be derogatory in any way. I enjoyed the video because I love Andy's Bushcrafter.

Thanks again for posting.

Phil

Last edited:
Randy,

I appreciate that you did this video. What I liked about it were your comments about how you feel about the knife after using it for a period of time. What I think could use improvement on future videos is less wide angle on your setting and a closer focus on the knife that is the subject of the video. It is hard to appreciate the subtleties of Andy's great work from a distant focus. Videos are hard to do perfectly the first few times. I have not even attempted it yet, so I applaud you for going for it. Please take my comments as constructive suggestions, not meant to be derogatory in any way. I enjoyed the video because I love Andy's Bushcrafter.

Thanks again for posting.

Phil

Buddy, after years of sales and business building, I've developed rhino skin, so no worries! I appreciate the feedback! You're right on the close up shots... I'll try to include more of those in the future.
From my own experience, I feel more engaged with a "personality" in the video instead of strictly the product (like nutnfancy table tops, etc). If I'm just too hard on the eyes though you can tell me that too. :D
I'll try to do more of a combination in the future. I've got an Arete video coming up soon so keep your eyes peeled. Thanks, Phil!

-Rusty

Hi Rusty,

First off, I apologize for mis-spelling your name in my prior post. I corrected that. Second, I want to clarify my prior comment to state that I didn't mean to edit "you" the personality out of the video. My suggestion is to close the focus just enough to capture just you and the knife versus a wider view of your yard or whatever the setting at the expense of the subject matter. I hope that clarifies my critique for you. Again, I appreciate that you posted this video. Nice work and keep going.

Phil

I've been watching Rusty's videos for about a year now ever since he started the custom knives segments for E2E. I dig Rusty's style of presentation, find him to be quite articulate when it comes to going over the knives' specs and in-use comments. For this particular group of audience, the chances are that we'll have some comments on the video (whether they get expressed is another story) because this is a very specialized group of people who are die hard fans of FBs (and hence very knowledgeable). But for the audience in general who haven't heard of FBs or are just getting into it, I believe videos like this will be quite approachable and effective in leading them to learn more about them (e.g. by visiting this sub). Then they'll be like asking all these newbie questions (well they'll likely be lurking first, yeah I see you, you, yeah I'm talking about you), then we'll all be nice and answer those questions that we've answered many times before....woh...are we in the matrix????? :eek:

Oh, to actually contribute myself, couple older pics of my BC:

9779804495_a659108074_c.jpg

13961835398_299b4c3c65_c.jpg

Last edited:
I've been watching Rusty's videos for about a year now ever since he started the custom knives segments for E2E. I dig Rusty's style of presentation, find him to be quite articulate when it comes to going over the knives' specs and in-use comments. For this particular group of audience, the chances are that we'll have some comments on the video (whether they get expressed is another story) because this is a very specialized group of people who are die hard fans of FBs (and hence very knowledgeable). But for the audience in general who haven't heard of FBs or are just getting into it, I believe videos like this will be quite approachable and effective in leading them to learn more about them (e.g. by visiting this sub). Then they'll be like asking all these newbie questions (well they'll likely be lurking first, yeah I see you, you, yeah I'm talking about you), then we'll all be nice and answer those questions that we've answered many times before....woh...are we in the matrix????? :eek:

Oh, to actually contribute myself, couple older pics of my BC:

9779804495_a659108074_c.jpg

13961835398_299b4c3c65_c.jpg

Thanks, Josh! I can't make out what kind of wood those scales are. That bushcrafter already feels so good in the hand... having natural handles probably just kicks it up another notch.

Maybe I should just make a general "What you need to know about Fiddleback Forge" video that addresses a lot of those FAQ's you mentioned?

Hey Rusty, the handle on my BC is cherry crotchwood over white and natural liners.

I think that's a pretty cool idea about a general overview of Fiddleback Forge. You may not even need to go over anything in detail, merely referencing the stickies on the sub-forum may suffice (like law of the sharks, warranty, etc.). Just a humble personal thought, but I always thought it'd be cool if someone were to do an interview with Andy so that he can provide his own thoughts on his knife making philosophy, knife use, warranty and "stupidity" etc. I'm picturing someone doing a live cam to cam chat with Andy, and videotaping the session. But at the same time, sometimes sharing of an opinion by a manufacturer can alienate certain sectors of the target audience, so it'll be up to Andy.

Again, these are just my humble thoughts. There are plenty of guys on this sub who are more knowledgeable, active, and have more experience owning and using FBs than me.

Very nice Tinbanger. Where'd you source such a beauty? I dig look of the TT on Bushcrafters--it makes a knife with a lot of belly look sleek still, and I like knives with belly.

Thanks eatpreylove, ken over at fiddleback was great in helping pick one out after I had to send my bushfinger back because of a little problem.

@Cayalystman80 - beautiful example my friend! Loving the cherry crotchwood; Andy doesn't do that combo often (if ever!)
@TinBanger - sick sapphire burlap BC man; that tang tapers to almost nothing!

Thanks dude -- it is some DARK ironwood burl. Pretty striking in person (when out see the grain), but it is dark!

Thanks Will. Yeah, the cherry crotchwood is pretty unique, I haven't seen Andy using it since I got mine back in September last year. Great snag on the Bushcrafter Sr., would love to see some future posts with your thoughts on it. And your ironwood collection is pretty dang awesome.

@Cayalystman80 - beautiful example my friend! Loving the cherry crotchwood; Andy doesn't do that combo often (if ever!)
@TinBanger - sick sapphire burlap BC man; that tang tapers to almost nothing!

Damn...i really want a bushcrafter senior now. looks like a fat version of an Arete.

Damn...i really want a bushcrafter senior now. looks like a fat version of an Arete.

Agreed 100%, and handles like one too. I can't put mine down and am growing concerned that the knife could easily become a "collection clearer" given the perfect blend of size, shape, and heft. Up until now, I think Andy only made 2-4 per year...so now it looks like folks will have more opportunities to get their hands on one if they now become a regular model!

OR....a collection starter ;)

Agreed 100%, and handles like one too. I can't put mine down and am growing concerned that the knife could easily become a "collection clearer" given the perfect blend of size, shape, and heft. Up until now, I think Andy only made 2-4 per year...so now it looks like folks will have more opportunities to get their hands on one if they now become a regular model!

Back