Busse: The Wedding Knife

Will, what is the handle material? Thanks.

randucci said:
Will, what is the handle material? Thanks.

Smooth, deeply-contoured wood with a turquoise tint. Smooth head brass bolts. By far the most comfortable Battle Mistress in hand I've ever handled.

I don't know whose wedding--the knife was made in the Busse shop as a wedding present from a female employee to her fiance, presented to him at the wedding and used to cut the cake. Divorce ensued, leading to a long and colorful history for the knife, including Jerry Busse's personal use of it while in his possession to fend off an attack by two dogs. Over the years it's come to be known simply as "the wedding knife".

The value of the piece stems from the following facts:

1.) One of the original 300 INFI Battle Mistresses, as evidenced by the swedge ground point.
2.) Satin finished, which makes it much rarer still.
3.) The only BM ever to be outfitted by the factory with custom wood grips.

The knife has seen some use, and the surfaces of the brass handle bolts are scratched. It has not been used since I sent it to the factory and had the satin finish reground. The Leatherman-made sheath has a detachable dangle-style belt loop, and also an interchangeable shoulder sling--quite a rig. The sheath has seen some carry and has some water spots on the front of it, but otherwise is in excellent condition.

One other piece of interesting history on the knife is that I purchased it from our own Chuck Head, who sold it to me to raise money for some high-end body armor to protect his person in Iraq, where he served as a private contractor.

Of the Busse production pieces, this unique knife is without doubt one of the very rarest, and certainly considering its colorful history, I'd think a good candidate for the most notorious Busse in existence.

I suppose $1k is a little optimistic for a knife that's seen some use and has been refurbished, even with the history of this one. I do think it rates that kind of "dollar value respect", in terms of where it ranks in the hierarchy of Busse lore and the fact that it has the swedge grind and satin finish, but in terms of sale here...

How about $750?

Ed,

We're good to go.

BTW, adoption doesn't really work for me, but I'm open to discussing an indenture. :D

Thanks again,
Will

Will, I'm here, and everything is still a go.
I'll send you another email.
Having some email problems, but it will get cleared up soon.

Um..... Wasn't this the original wedding knife? Apologies if I'm breaking forum etiquette here.

Back