Buying my 1st belt grinder question

I for one have used others. I just like the one I currently use the best of the ones I've personally used. I agree on 1.5" tooling arms for ready availability. Variable speed? Absolutely recommend. Two tooling arms at least. Tilting- I have it, but i have yet to actually use it. Direct drive is a feature I prefer as well. I recommended the OSG project (only if one wants to build one) as it incorporates every feature you listed. for his budget, he could possibly build 2 of these, run off of one VFD and have a different ready to go configuration for each. Just my thoughts.

I'm going to probably differ from a lot of people here.
My current grinder started life as an eerf cut by a local waterjet shop, but I've modified it beyond recognition to my own liking.
That said I've ran a number of factory made grinders at other shops, and in all honesty if I could pick a new free grinder out tomorrow, it would be a variable speed square wheel or Bee.
The Bee/Wilton grinders are surprisingly smooth and pleasant to run. and as is so often overlooked, designed from the beginning for dust collection. That's the big thing right there. No matter what you cobble together, it will never be as good as something designed from the beginning with dust shrouding.

As for a more popular option, I'd really have to go with either Bader or burrking. They both have dust shrouding available as a factory option (as goofy looking as the Bader setup is) and even more importantly, they are both companies that are well proven.
When forged in fire eventually dies, and the massive influx of people starting out in knifemaking becomes a thing of the past, I'd be willing to bet a lot of these new grinder companies will start having hard times.
Bader and Burrking have both been around forever, and both sell so much to industry that they could easily exist without knifemakers.

If I'm buying a new machine, I want it to be from a company I know I'll be able to phone up and order parts from in 20-30 years.

I second the idea of a Wimont LB1000 with variable speed. If you shop, you can have a complete 2x72 with platen and a tool rest arm and variable speed for less than $1200 delivered. It takes 1 1/2" square arms, so making a new arm of thick wall steel tube is quick and easy. being adjustable in length, I can belts from 69" to 75" with one adjustment. why do that?? found these belts and others, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-60-N...031871?hash=item361ebe737f:g:yFQAAOSwpDdU4RS~ for less than $1.50, these are over $4 each in 2x72.

Thanks so much for all the help guys. Yes I ended up with the burr king and although it is not made for knife making. It's world's better than files and sandpaper. Not that I'm not using those but just not for everything now. I think from the few I've made on it already it will work great for a while.

By the way it's set up for 1.5" belts I'm using 2" and they work fine. I just have to adjust tracking from one side of the platten to the other. Little but of a pain but still better than what I had.

I was looking at the LB1000 from Chris, had to wait till I got back to the US. Unfortunately, by the time I was back here and had a house rented the LB's were out of stock (a testament to the quality of the machine as Chris can hardly keep them in stock!). I ended up going with the Pheer grinder and placed my order this morning. I have been using a "Craftsman special" 2x42 for years and am excited about this new machine.

Back