• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Buying the latest Northwoods from KSF

Hey guys--

A couple things.

Yes, we set it up that you could only purchase one micarta per order.

I wish we could produce more, but right now, GEC is our only supplier and we order all they will produce for us.

Lastly, there will be another grouping of these in the next couple weeks. GEC only got us part of our order....the rest is coming soon.

Derick nor KSF care. It's an unfortunate system where many people have the time to sit and stalk the computer to buy a handful and jack up the prices to only resale immediately... it's really unfortunate and would like to hear someone speak to the point of how these sales go. It's whatever... ;)

Nice looking knife release too btw.

Props to whoever was able to successfully buy more than 1 knife in different handle materials because every new "add to cart" is risking too much time. lol

Well, if they did produce more then there wouldn't be this rarity factor that some people appear to thrive on and you wouldn't get the Flippers' Paradise. Insane prices like that are only possible when people are besotted enough to pay them. It also means the eternal reign of the Safe Queen and the death of the User - more or less :rolleyes:

Rarity factor makes no difference to the reseller. I have a lot of experience being a commissioner of disc golf equipment. There are many challenges for both the commissioner (ksf) and the manufacturer (gec). Mainly, consider how much it costs the commissioner to prepay for the order. Lets say for example it cost KSF $75 to have each knife built. At 200 pieces, thats a $15,000 payment before they all leave the factory. My guess is splitting the release into two batches helps recover costs before the final payment is due, whatever the real fee actually is.

Second, consider the impact to the manufacturer by having it's own branded product line halted for a large exclusive SFO order. Depletion of materials could also be a limiting factor. Perhaps GEC's suppliers cannot keep up with the demand for a larger order. I believe NSF supplies most of the Northwoods handle cover material to GEC. I mean where the heck does all this giraffe bone come from? lol I know they're big animals but i'm sure there aren't many suppliers to choose from.

There are many GEC critics that are of the opinion GEC does too many exclusive SFOs, which takes away from GEC producing a larger variety of GEC patterns, like Queen has started doing (probably becuase GEC took over the SFO angle). So which business model does GEC want to adhere to? It appears they are trying to strike a happy balance.

Last time I missed out by taking a peek at the others. This time I lucked out and got one. Unfortunately if PayPal is slow or if you try to enter a coupon or use your points, it will likely take too long and you will miss out : (
I don't have an issue with the way they go up for sale but I do think you should have a short time with you selection safe in your cart, and be limited to say 2 knives in different covers for example. Just my 2 cents.

Gotta be fast on the trigger, I missed it too. :eek:
[video=youtube;-EtHi-Xxgag]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EtHi-Xxgag[/video]

I like the preview idea, however I have never been angry or bitter towards Derrick or GEC. I have missed far more times then I have scored, been "cart jacked", had PayPal glitch, etc. it's a bummer but it was never my knife to begin with. Neither KSF nor GEC is my company. Personally I like that there is a rarity factor. It makes them extra special for me. Some of my rarest knives are also my users, it adds the the thrill and when and if I sell them I do so at a fair price on the exchange. The flippers suck, but I wish there wasn't such a pile on of KSF each time. We all know what to expect by now. I was lucky this time, I wish the same luck for everyone else next time.

Derick nor KSF care. It's an unfortunate system where many people have the time to sit and stalk the computer to buy a handful and jack up the prices to only resale immediately... it's really unfortunate and would like to hear someone speak to the point of how these sales go. It's whatever... ;)

Nice looking knife release too btw.
Don't blame the business for customer behavior you dislike. The knife world would be a duller and a dimmer place without KSF.

Knives from the newest run are being flipped on Ebay for more than 400 dollars. It's a disgrace.

Edit: Not blaming KSF here, it's not really their fault. It's the flippers.

Yup, and the fools who purchase them who are not planning to keep them litterally for ever will loose. They are just pocket knives, unfortunately I think the dealers enjoy getting the frenzy going

TinyDog said:
unfortunately I think the dealers enjoy getting the frenzy going
If you dropped a large sum of money on a product to sell, wouldn't you market it to the best of your ability? If the seller fails to make the buyers aware, or little excitement is generated, the sales lag. Would you rather recoup your investment quickly on the day of release...or wait weeks, even months?

Burlap Clip on Eba, $220, BIN$290, wow.

Dark brown looking, not like the burlap pics on KSF.

A fremont just sold for $450!

i'm glad we live in a country where we are free to engage in commerce and to let market demands drive pricing of many goods and services. i'm grateful for the freedom we have here.

that being said, it's just a shame that the skyrocketing secondary market prices of many northwoods releases, including this batch of hawthornes, will likely reduce them to safe-queen status. paying north of $200 or $300 for a knife makes it, for many of whom i am but one, a bit too precious to really use. i wouldn't be surprised if many hawthornes end up never really becoming a part of their owners' lives because the only way to get them was to give an arm and a leg -- and who wants to endanger such an investment?

i buy knives for the coon fingerin and chicken eyein like the rest of the porch -- but i also use them and enjoy doing so. i likely won't get a chance to do that with many northwoods knives, and while that's not a problem to me personally it does make me feel a bit odd to think that a tool designed to be used would be too dear to use.

first, i certainly don't blame a seller-of-knives for selling their knives. i have always been pleased with my KSF purchases. btw...i love my northwoods petty knife and consider it a great value. i guess my point is that all northwoods products are not pricey. as others have mentioned...the whole supply and demand thing.

with all that said, i have one question. how did you guys even become aware of the sale? i had no idea. like many, i have been wanting to purchase a northwoods (folder) for quite a while.

Ask them to put you on their email notification list of new product announcements.

i'm glad we live in a country where we are free to engage in commerce and to let market demands drive pricing of many goods and services. i'm grateful for the freedom we have here.

that being said, it's just a shame that the skyrocketing secondary market prices of many northwoods releases, including this batch of hawthornes, will likely reduce them to safe-queen status. paying north of $200 or $300 for a knife makes it, for many of whom i am but one, a bit too precious to really use. i wouldn't be surprised if many hawthornes end up never really becoming a part of their owners' lives because the only way to get them was to give an arm and a leg -- and who wants to endanger such an investment?

i buy knives for the coon fingerin and chicken eyein like the rest of the porch -- but i also use them and enjoy doing so. i likely won't get a chance to do that with many northwoods knives, and while that's not a problem to me personally it does make me feel a bit odd to think that a tool designed to be used would be too dear to use.

Agreed. I love my Northwoods - Fremont Jack, Madison Barlow, and now a Hawthorne Jack. They all have imperfections and the grind on the Hawthorne was downright awful. I get the hype, but at the end of the day, they're ~$150 knives and I'll use them as such. Maybe I'm stupid for not flipping them for as much as I can.

first, i certainly don't blame a seller-of-knives for selling their knives. i have always been pleased with my KSF purchases. btw...i love my northwoods petty knife and consider it a great value. i guess my point is that all northwoods products are not pricey. as others have mentioned...the whole supply and demand thing.

with all that said, i have one question. how did you guys even become aware of the sale? i had no idea. like many, i have been wanting to purchase a northwoods (folder) for quite a while.

I check the KSF Facebook page regularly, they announce upcoming releases.

Hey guys--

A couple things.

Yes, we set it up that you could only purchase one micarta per order.

I wish we could produce more, but right now, GEC is our only supplier and we order all they will produce for us.

Lastly, there will be another grouping of these in the next couple weeks. GEC only got us part of our order....the rest is coming soon.

I really think that on something this hot a notification signup would ease a lot of folks minds. Otherwise you're hoping to catch a facebook or instagram post and those notifications don't pop with the same urgency as an email does.

I really think that on something this hot a notification signup would ease a lot of folks minds. Otherwise you're hoping to catch a facebook or instagram post and those notifications don't pop with the same urgency as an email does.

Even so. And with that said. You will still have little to no chance of purchasing one. They sell out in minutes. (It seems like to scalpers and safe queens). You can literally have one in your cart going into checkout and it not process and get sold from under you. So, then you try and put another one in your cart and purchase, only for the same thing to happen. Thhhhhen you see the scalpers that bought multiples selling them for more than double the price. I saw a Burlap and micarta version asking for 300-400 lol. Those are the less expensive models I believe.

It really makes you treasure the ones you have, if your lucky enough. Because they can be a bit hard to come by. I have gotten two for a reasonable price and one I payed quite a bit more than retail. I do enjoy them however ;) just wished ksf and derrick would have a better system that was fair, if there is such a thing.

Well hopefully the second rounds will have enough stock that the demand will be less frantic. I watched the Bear Lakes and while the stags vanished fast the mammoth, the giraffe bone, and the micarta were up long enough that I could flip through the various versions and look at quite a few variants in the natural materials since it looks like they photo each individual knife so you can see exactly what you're getting. As I can recall they were up for days.

That and hopefully cars will be restricted so that you don't get those folks who like to clean out a shelf of knives and the flip most of them so they wind up with free blades out of the deal.

Back