1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Can a ten dollar kitchen knife be (very) sharp?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by Piero, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Piero

Piero

Mar 21, 2017
    Hi there!

What is the cutting power of an old kitchen knife from Ikea after sharpening?

[video=youtube;rqQ6kz59WmU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqQ6kz59WmU[/video]

My goal with this video is not to make a criticism of expensive knives that have their advantages (aesthetics, wear resistance, craftsman's work, etc.). Simply to show that a very economical blade is not necessarily bad at all points.

I hope you will enjoy this little video! ;)
    All the best,

Piero

2. G-son

G-son

Apr 26, 2016
    Very nice. Almost any knife can get very sharp with a little work, how long they remain sharp depends on the quality of the steel. From what I've heard, the Ikea knives are made from fairly good steel, but the edge might not the best out of the box. For the price, probably a good deal.

3. Piero

Piero

Mar 21, 2017
    Thank you G-son.

I read on an other forum that Ikea have made vg10 kitchen knives.
    This one was very cheap, and the steel is not high end, but yeah it takes a good edge. It don't remain sharp during a long time but it can be sharpen quickly.

With this video, I wanted to show that even if high end knives have advantages, with proper technic and a little bit of work we can also do a lot with low end knives. :)

4. mete

mete Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2003
    For a kitchen knife VG-10 works well ! Similar to N690 ,takes a good edge , easy to sharpen.

5. Piero

Piero

Mar 21, 2017
    Yes mete you are right! But mine was not vg10, may be a 420 or something like that, so don't keep the edge during a long time!