Can anyone read this Tsuba?

Was really hoping someone could help me out and decipher the writing on this Tsuba for me...
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Correct - Kaneshige. Many tsuba makers by this name. Would need to see a good pic of the entire tsuba in order to perhaps determine the school and age (maybe).

Rich

Last edited:
Not a traditional wrap. Kabutogane and koiguchi look odd (as in maybe Chinese). ??? Is there no fuchi under the wrap?

No Sir, there is no fuchi under the wrap. There is same...Im pretty positive this is nihonto. There is no signature on the nakago, the file marks look right, done in the Takanoha style. The habaki is strangely crude but was definitely made for the sword. Maybe the habaki is just showing its age? The blade although in bad shape shows beautiful hamon and tight Japanese hada not like the Chinese fakes with the traditional recycled Huffy bike frame damascus they push on Ebay. If you have any tips on taking hamon pictures Ill do my best to post pictures of it.
Here are a few of the nagkago and habaki..
Thank you all in helping me! If this isnt some sort of national treasure (lol) Ill probably look into a re wrap if the tsuka core is in good shape.

View attachment 736799 View attachment 736800 View attachment 736801 View attachment 736802

Last edited:
I recall reading an article on marines doing string wrap repairs and decorating their war trophy swords on the boat journey home with fancy knotwork.
Don't recall where I read it and my google-fu is not bringing it up at the moment, so take that as it is.
Sword certainly looks genuine from what can be seen.

Lee, I have read that somewhere before as well. The thing with this one is IMHO, it looks too clean to be very old.

I agree that what little is shown of the sword itself, tends to look legit. Habaki is real, but that kabutogane doesn't look legit.

Brand, in order to tell you more about the sword, we need to see the sword, not everything but the sword.

Please read the following link regarding submitting photos for identifying swords: http://yakiba.com/Article_PhotoTips.htm

Photos are not opening. Must be technical difficulty. I'll check back later.

From the photos provided, all I am willing to say is that it is a genuine Japanese sword. Looks like a Kaeritsuno was removed from the saya(??). I sent you a link that explains what is needed in order to receive the best information, but is seems you have not taken the time to read it. Or not followed it, as you have not provided a bare sword full length photo, nor a shot of the kissaki (tip), nor a shot of the entire nakago(tang). If you want help with it you need to supply the requested photos.

Im working on photos today, thank you for your time and patience. Do you think there is a possibility of it being Koidachi?
I was attempting a collage of sorts but Ill just stick to regular photos as of now, having trouble getting used to new forum picture posting.....
Again, Thank you!

Back