Can anyone read this Tsuba?

was able to get the collage up....having trouble with uploading photos here. Having trouble even logging on as of late.. Anyone else? or is it just me? Sometimes takes 4-6 tries to log in.

Looking back through this thread you never gave the measurements on this sword. What is the nagasa?

I just peeked under the ito and there is a fuchi after all. It is of the open face design so I did not see it at first.

I would like to inspect the tsuka craftsmanship. Is there any value in the Tsuka?

Got rid of all the rust by taking the belt sander to it, its really shinny now! (kidding)

I still have no idea what I have here except that its a real Japanese sword, I would love to know the basics. Age and round about value.
Is it worth getting re-polished? Is the tsuka trash? Is it a wakizashi?

It is a wakizashi, if your measurements are correct. For sword nomenclature:http://yakiba.com/Nomenclature.htm
Most likely Shinto period, certainly no older. Has a later Bizen feel to it, perhaps one of the later Yokoyama Bizen smiths.

Can't tell about flaws, though I see the tip is broken. Lots of rust, perhaps deep pitting ?? Any bends, chips, etc. will affect both value and restoration considerations and costs.
Can't say the tsuka is trash, haven't seen enough of it.

Restoration costs(polish, reshape kissaki, new shirasaya and habaki) IMHO would far outweigh any potential value. A polisher could give you a better idea. DO NOT use a self trained ametuer polisher, if you decide to polish it. For what it would cost to restore it, aprox. $2000-$2500, you could buy a sword already in good polish.

For example: Here is a Daisho (Two swords) in koshirae, one even papered for $3900: http://yakiba.com/Daisho2_Sukesada-Masakiyo.htm

Thank very much SouthernComfort! I would like to display this and having info about it is very nice. I dont see any deep pitting on it, every-time I wipe it down more and more rust comes off of it......heck if I keep playing with it it will be as good as new in no time....
PM me if you feel like estimating an as-is price. I would like to know. I think I have an idea (probably need to add a few bucks to buy a new Hinderer....)
Thanks again

Back