• Sylvrfalcen

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Bushcrafter Jr.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Lil' Lady

Votes: 7 14.6%

• Total voters
Thanksgiving42-X4.jpg

Don't forget the Toboggan, cuts well above it's weight and the blade geometry is quite useful. Try it, you'll be surprised, especially if you take the guard down a little bit....

I really like Phillips idea. But, I LOVE all y'all that don't.
seems like the Hiking Buddy is the favorite.

Andy,
Im still going to buy Fiddlebacks, just gonna try to carry one as my main knife.

i also did it before w/ my koa Runt. It could be the most photo'd Fiddleback:eek:

I voted Hiking Buddy, but I don't think I could carry only one knife for a year. My wife doesn't carry a knife, but she uses a Hiking Buddy in the kitchen every day and loves it. She calls it her "Kitchen Buddy." It's her go-to knife around the house.

In a word "Hell no!" I have too many top favorites and like cycling out what's on my belt. Variety is the beauty of Fiddlebacks so I wouldn't limit myself even if I only owned 2.

Nonetheless, dammit Phillip!! This would have bothered me until I went through it so things got set aside for a bit. So hypothetically speaking, I'll play.

I enjoyed your rundown, and agree with your choice-- for you. That Bushnub is mighty fine, and my favorite of the three you sent my way.

Inspired by your response, I'll play along, too! Hypothetically.

My options:
IMG_7506.jpg~original

Bear Cub (1/8" TT), Patch (1/8" SFT), Sylvrfalcen (1/8"TT), Sylvrfalcen (3/32" SFT), Esquire (3/32" SFT), Esquire (1/8" SFT), Sgian Dubh (1/8" SFT), Stubby Muk (3/32" SFT)

I'll rule out the Bear Cub and Patch first, as they're juuuust this side of too big for regular, daily carry. Of the two Sylvrfalcens, the blue* 1/8" TT gets the clear nod; of the Esquires, the oreo 1/8" TT stays. The Sgian Dubh remains in the mix because I love its sturdy presentation and substantial-for-its-size blade; the Stubby Muk is fun, but not quite what I would want to use day to day to day to day.

*and the Sylvrfalcen is blue, and a lovely middle color at that, but tends to show up purple-y in pictures(!). A maddening phenomenon, actually. Here it is looking blue-r, but with still more purple showing than is seen by the eye. ARGH:
IMG_7532.jpg~original

Anyway, this leaves me with these three contenders:
IMG_7512.jpg~original

The Sgian Dubh makes me happy, and would serve me well. It fits my hand really well, a great little fistful (maybe don't quote me):

IMG_7515.jpg~original

IMG_7513.jpg~original

Again, I love how much blade this little power plug packs. However, it's also not quite long enough to keep my fingers out of the peanut butter when cutting sandwiches, etc.; given the choice-- which I am!-- I'd like to carry something a little bigger.

So, we're down to these two:
IMG_7523.jpg~original

The Sylvrfalcen ticks lots of boxes, not least the one mentioned by VANCE VANCE :

The HB was my 2nd or 3rd Fiddleback. So early on it was my "only" one or two. It did many things for me while waiting for the next BLADE show.
The Sylvrfalcen is just soo cool though.

:thumbsup:

... especially when it has a tapered tang that echoes the blade's swedge:
IMG_7518.jpg~original

Comfortable in hand, massive style points:
IMG_7519.jpg~original

IMG_7517.jpg~original

But, at the end of this particular day, I'd go with the Esquire:
1dV4XAJ.jpg

For starters, if we're talking a whole year? I'd need to dance with what brung me, and that's Shadetree micarta. As much as I love the wild variety of beautiful woods on the various patterns, at the beginning and end it's Shadetree that first brought Fiddleback knives to my attention, and that still brings it all home for me.

And wouldn't you know, this Oreo Esquire does something for me in way that the blue one somehow doesn't-- only in a manner of degree (I love 'em both), but ... one has to Decide. Hypothetically. I'm shocked a blue knife doesn't get the nod, but there you have it.

In addition to whatever cutting tasks come my way in a given time span, one of the things I greatly enjoy is showing off @Fiddleback's work to others. While any of my knives is worth a showcase, this Oreo Esquire is especially fun to share, with all its 'extras'-- the swedge, the bolster treatment, the exquisite lines of the handle, how well its (original) Baron sheath suits it and sets it off to such advantage.

kPP3WGL.jpg

BTEDN1k.jpg

C9B8UVl.jpg

So, the Esquire. For now. Hypothetically.

~ P.

oh sorry by "our", I meant mine & my new Hiking Buddy. Im heading to the badlands of Athens, GA in the morning.

Aha. Yeah, I meant about the knife. Thx! Now I can't wait to see what's special about this (next) one. o_O

~ P.

I Have voted Hiking Buddy for the purposes of this poll as it has always been and remains my favorite 3" blade Fiddleback. I am in a situation currently where I am able to carry larger knives on a daily basis without issue and my mantra has always been 'Where possible go large" to cover all bases. The Kephart is still my favorite Fiddleback model overall but if I could only take 1 for the next 12 months it would be my 1/8" Leuku or 5/32" Camp Knife (handle materials and tang type don't seem relevant). The Camp in particular at 5/32" is surprisingly nimble but can handle whatever I throw at it. I'm sure within 10 minutes I'll have changed my mind!

Good to see you again Jules!

Of the selections, Hiking Buddy.

My one would be my 1/8" convex ASP. Not the best at extended carving but the best all around carry knife.

Bill

Had I been asked this question two years ago my answer would have been different. I chose the Esquire just based on my own calculations of how many months in a row I have carried the one that's in my pocket for reasons of my own. Yes, in my work I have had other knives on me for periods of time during the day as I worked on various projects, but the Esquire has started every morning with me, spent every evening with me, has been on me all through the day, and has been there every day even when no others were. I have used it more than any other, and for a lot of uses. Considering I have carried it since Last November, and I'm already over 9 months into carrying it, because it's small enough to go everywhere I go... yeah I'll go with the Esquire :)

Sharpened & in the pocket.
2v2utZHgdxurAoi.jpg

I started a new Fotki album called Fiddleback 365. I will be uploading pics periodically to it.

https://public.fotki.com/FiddlebackForge/fiddleback-365/

Although that is quite handsome, it is missing black pins along with black/green. I think there was a poll and that was decided to be the best combo with DIW. ;-)

You know I'm just being funny (or at least trying) :)

Although that is quite handsome, it is missing black pins along with black/green. I think there was a poll and that was decided to be the best combo with DIW. ;-)

You know I'm just being funny (or at least trying) :)
I guess i'll get Cody to knock these scales off & start over.

Back