"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I just got some interesting news today. My wife has been complaining about not feeling herself for the last couple of weeks. Today she called to say that she was going to stop at the pharmacy on the way home and that she might have to make a doctor's appointment. When she got home she ran straight to the bathroom and came out with a positive pregnancy test. :eek: Now, the little girl in my avatar was supposed to be our youngest, so we've been trying to wrap our heads around this idea. It's early on, and false positives have happened in the past, but she's never been wrong about a bun in the oven before so I'm inclined to believe that this is for real. It's way too early to share the news with friends and family, so I guess this is my way of releasing a bit without getting in trouble for opening my yap.

Anyways, just needed to get that off my chest somewhere. This seems like as good a place as any. Harry, if you read this and see my parents I'd appreciate some discretion. You're the only one here that I think I'd have to worry about. Not that you're a gossip, you're just more likely to run into somebody I know than somebody like Jack or Alan seeing as how they're thousands of miles away. ;)

Not clear about your take-away but the phrase "put a sock on it" comes to mind.

In any event, congratulations!

Not clear about your take-away but the phrase "put a sock on it" comes to mind.

In any event, congratulations!

My wife always tells me to put a sock in it when we get this news. She's much more pragmatic in the sharing of news than I am. ;)

Thanks for the kind words. We are very excited. It's a different in that it's mixed with surprise, whereas the first three were pretty well planned out. It's not any less excited, just more in awe and trying to wrap our heads around the logistics. Our youngest daughter is about to have her world come crashing down. She's the youngest grandkid on both sides, so she's spent the last four years being everybody's princess. She's really into babies, so it will be exciting for her. At the same time her role in our immediate and extended family is about to be usurped.

I notice there's some griping going on about the BF reboot. Very understandable, especially for the veterans of the forum. For this newish member I'd like to take the liberty of pointing out the positives I see:
1. So much easier to read on phones and tablets. I hated having to forever resize pages. No more.
2. No longer needing an image hosting site (theoretical for me at present, but certainly promising).
3. Automatic first unread post feature when navigating to a watched thread.
4. Ease of navigating to your profile, watched threads, PMs (sorry if I don't have the lingo down yet). I never thought those buttons in the upper right of the old site were very friendly.

The compacted quoted text may be a wash, don't know yet. While the need to expand it is an extra step, on the other hand, I tend to devour several days of posts at a time: the new format makes that much easier to do.

Finally, I want to hand it to Spark. Up until now he was very much in the background, a bit mysterious if I'm honest. However I now see he's one of us and has a lot invested in our forum. Spark, I'm raising a virtual glass in your name!

In the end, nothing's perfect in this life. Give the new BF a chance.:thumbsup:

:):cool::thumbsup:
I notice there's some griping going on about the BF reboot. Very understandable, especially for the veterans of the forum. For this newish member I'd like to take the liberty of pointing out the positives I see:
1. So much easier to read on phones and tablets. I hated having to forever resize pages. No more.
2. No longer needing an image hosting site (theoretical for me at present, but certainly promising).
3. Automatic first unread post feature when navigating to a watched thread.
4. Ease of navigating to your profile, watched threads, PMs (sorry if I don't have the lingo down yet). I never thought those buttons in the upper right of the old site were very friendly.

The compacted quoted text may be a wash, don't know yet. While the need to expand it is an extra step, on the other hand, I tend to devour several days of posts at a time: the new format makes that much easier to do.

Finally, I want to hand it to Spark. Up until now he was very much in the background, a bit mysterious if I'm honest. However I now see he's one of us and has a lot invested in our forum. Spark, I'm raising a virtual glass in your name!

In the end, nothing's perfect in this life. Give the new BF a chance.:thumbsup:

i agree! Lets be positive. The benefits far outweigh the nuisance of having to learn different terms and new locations of buttons or emoticons!
The Ignore feature works like it should! That alone is worth the learning curve.
Thank you Spark!

Last edited:
My wife always tells me to put a sock in it when we get this news. She's much more pragmatic in the sharing of news than I am. ;)

Thanks for the kind words. We are very excited. It's a different in that it's mixed with surprise, whereas the first three were pretty well planned out. It's not any less excited, just more in awe and trying to wrap our heads around the logistics. Our youngest daughter is about to have her world come crashing down. She's the youngest grandkid on both sides, so she's spent the last four years being everybody's princess. She's really into babies, so it will be exciting for her. At the same time her role in our immediate and extended family is about to be usurped.
Congratulations.

Congrats Corey! I know how you feel about that surprise though. This is Ethan. He wasn't planned either. But all kids are a blessing.

Oops. No photo. Guess me and the new system ain't getting along yet lol.

View media item 203
URL]]

Last edited:
On the old site, you could scroll to the bottom of a thread and see who was reading it too. How do you do this on the new version?

Missing the obvious probably!

Thank you all for the kindnesses. We are very excited about the new baby. I think it's got us feeling young again. We were settling into this rut where our family was starting to get older, and now we're starting over again. I don't know if that makes sense, but it does to us. I'm not looking forward to another bout of diapers, but if that's our biggest worry we're very blessed indeed. ;)

Harry = I'd give you naming rights if only Ed didn't already claim them. Walk and Talk are right up there with triplets named Snap, Crackle, and Pop. :D

My congratulations on your good news Cory.
Might I suggest the off beat name "Sucks"
Sounds bad I know but has a very positive connotation.
It'd be a name when being paged....
Sorry.;):rolleyes::D

Been away for a few days waiting for the updates to change. I have trouble with change, especially technology. I am of the aint broke dont fix it mind set.

Hope everything goes smoothly Randy ole pal! Bob get out of the hospital soon bud, those places are no good! I work in one! Actually both of you get out of the hospital quick!

Cory congrats!!!

I haven't been around much either cause of the change. I don't like change lol. Goes along with my introvertism. But, I'm getting used to it. Surfing seems nice. Need to figure out a few other things. Otherwise, I do kinda like it now.

So, since it seems copying the img info from Photobucket doesn't seem to paste as easily in the new format, what's the easiest way to post pics now?

Back