"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

E9129D37-DDDD-4E55-848D-B85D56E396BE.jpg

This is a test run.

Sweet! Figured it out now.

So, since it seems copying the img info from Photobucket doesn't seem to paste as easily in the new format, what's the easiest way to post pics now?
To post from Photobucket:

IMG_4003_zpsbndpfxbk.jpg
I do it the same way I did before the format change. I copy the IMG link (it's the fourth one down in the list of "share this photo" links to the right of the picture.Then I paste it directly into my reply.

If I use the insert image button, I have to use the "direct" link (second one down)

otherwise, it looks like this:
15%20electrician%20005_zpsoldfd6nh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

You can also use the "upload a file" button on the bottom of your reply window, and upload directly from your computer, but the file has to be under 1000 KB, and it doesn't seem to show up when someone quotes your post.

To post from Photobucket:

IMG_4003_zpsbndpfxbk.jpg
I do it the same way I did before the format change. I copy the IMG link (it's the fourth one down in the list of "share this photo" links to the right of the picture.Then I paste it directly into my reply.

If I use the insert image button, I have to use the "direct" link (second one down)

otherwise, it looks like this:
15%20electrician%20005_zpsoldfd6nh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

You can also use the "upload a file" button on the bottom of your reply window, and upload directly from your computer, but the file has to be under 1000 KB, and it doesn't seem to show up when someone quotes your post.

Thanks, r8shell. The copy and paste the img link changes the img and URL tags for some reason. But the insert img button works great and using the 2nd down like you say. Thanks!

Thanks, r8shell. The copy and paste the img link changes the img and URL tags for some reason. But the insert img button works great and using the 2nd down like you say. Thanks!
Glad it worked for you, and I have no idea why the IMG link works for some people and not others. o_O Maybe it has to do with what browser or operating system you're using. I'm not computer savvy at all, but I can get stubborn and sit here and try every combination until one works. (then the problem is remembering how I did it) :D

Great minds think alike r8shell. I'm doing test runs with my cam phone right now-changing the image size to see if I can get one that won't say too large for the server.

Jer, I like your new avatar and signature to go with the new BF software! :thumbsup:
I'm also still discovering lots of stuff. Are "profile posts" the same as what used to be called "visitor messages"?

- GT

Jer, I like your new avatar and signature to go with the new BF software! :thumbsup:
I'm also still discovering lots of stuff. Are "profile posts" the same as what used to be called "visitor messages"?

- GT
Yes. And "private messages" are now "conversations" :rolleyes:
"subscribed threads" are now "watched threads." You can also watch a forum, so you get an alert if a new thread is posted.

"subscribed threads" are now "watched threads." You can also watch a forum, so you get an alert if a new thread is posted.
Thanks for the confirmation, r8shell. :thumbsup:
Did you ever discover a way to download/save old conversations (PMs)? My "conversation area" was overfilled after the new website software came online. I used to periodically save my "meaningful" PMs to clear out space for new ones, but I haven't come up with a good way to do that with the new set-up. Many of my PMs/conversations are rather repetitive due to correspondents quoting one another while replying, so I was able to simply delete a bunch of my conversations to get down to 49 with space for 100. So I'm set for the short term, but I'd still welcome hearing about an efficient way to "archive" old conversations!

- GT

I notice there's some griping going on about the BF reboot. Very understandable, especially for the veterans of the forum. For this newish member I'd like to take the liberty of pointing out the positives I see:
1. So much easier to read on phones and tablets. I hated having to forever resize pages. No more.
2. No longer needing an image hosting site (theoretical for me at present, but certainly promising).
3. Automatic first unread post feature when navigating to a watched thread.
4. Ease of navigating to your profile, watched threads, PMs (sorry if I don't have the lingo down yet). I never thought those buttons in the upper right of the old site were very friendly.

The compacted quoted text may be a wash, don't know yet. While the need to expand it is an extra step, on the other hand, I tend to devour several days of posts at a time: the new format makes that much easier to do.

Finally, I want to hand it to Spark. Up until now he was very much in the background, a bit mysterious if I'm honest. However I now see he's one of us and has a lot invested in our forum. Spark, I'm raising a virtual glass in your name!

In the end, nothing's perfect in this life. Give the new BF a chance.:thumbsup:

I was getting ready to post something similar and I'm glad I scrolled through the posts first. I could not agree more. I've been following the topics in the Tech Support sub forum and it's plain to see that Spark is busting his behind for us. Members' issues are getting resolved quickly regardless of the complexity and it seems that Spark isn't getting a moment's rest. Yet he stays on top of it.

Pretty doggone impressive.

Thanks for the confirmation, r8shell. :thumbsup:
Did you ever discover a way to download/save old conversations (PMs)? My "conversation area" was overfilled after the new website software came online. I used to periodically save my "meaningful" PMs to clear out space for new ones, but I haven't come up with a good way to do that with the new set-up. Many of my PMs/conversations are rather repetitive due to correspondents quoting one another while replying, so I was able to simply delete a bunch of my conversations to get down to 49 with space for 100. So I'm set for the short term, but I'd still welcome hearing about an efficient way to "archive" old conversations!

- GT

Here's a thread about that in tech support:

http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/...ly-allows-50-pms.1486371/page-2#post-17099161
There are some suggestions posted that I must confess I didn't quite understand. I think when I have an afternoon free, I'll just go through them and copy & paste any information I want to save into a text file before deleting. (by the way to "delete a PM" you "leave conversation" which I find to be counter-inuitive phrasing.

- GT
Thank you. For whatever reason, that grey question mark bugged me like the elemental head and torso never did. The bear is only a couple of years my junior, and the mantra is from Jerome K. Jerome's On being in the Blues, in Idle thoughts of an Idle Fellow.

Thank you for the answers to questions I hadn't thought of yet.

Thank you for the answers to questions I hadn't thought of yet.
You're welcome. :)

Thank you. For whatever reason, that grey question mark bugged me like the elemental head and torso never did. The bear is only a couple of years my junior, and the mantra is from Jerome K. Jerome's On being in the Blues, in Idle thoughts of an Idle Fellow.
:thumbsup: Another Jerome K. Jerome fan! :thumbsup:

Anybody seen Randy since the forum change? (@r reddon) He hasn't commented in awhile which is a bit unusual.

There is also an option so that you don't have to get messaged every time there is a post in a watched forum. The other advantage to "watched forums" is you end up with a list of just the forums you are normally interested in visiting. Saves time because you don't have to scrol through the master forum list. There was a similar option in the old software.

If you click on preferences and look under options, there's a place to choose whether or not to use the "rich text editor". I unchecked it and now I can directly paste Photobucket images into the text box. I just paste in the img code. I don't click on anything. I can also use typical forum code for bold, underline or italics, etc.

Back