"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

that is great news Randy! youll be picking up the ole axe and shredding in no time!

interestingly a few months ago, I had thought about a trip to London, and then the terrorist attack happened and I scrapped my plans. This most recent incident gives me even more hesitation. A recent patient did tell me not to live life that way, it is important to get out and see the world.

Glad to hear the update Randy. Hang in there.

Smoke raised for Manchester.

Ladies and gentlemen, please spare a moment to think on the people of Manchester, UK following the events of last night. Now 22 confirmed fatalities including a number of children.
Thinking and praying to my own for you all in the UK. What to do about this? It's so hard.

Hey guys and gals. I got that huge splint like thing of f of my arm and that has given me more ability to do things including typing. Still not the easiest thing to do but much better than before. If all goes well I'll get to go home in three weeks, if real well less. I've missed interacting with all of you this place is more a place to hangout with your pal's than an internet site. I saw where some of you were thinking of sending cards and I want to thank you so much. OK I guess that's the update.
Keep chugging Randy. We are all pulling for you!

r
Such a cowardly attack in Manchester. My heart goes out to the innocent victims, and my condemnation to the supporters of such atrocity. I hope the authorities can find some answers.

Randy it is great to hear that you are on the mend! Keep up the good work!
+2 on this as well. Could not have said it better Charlie.

Yes indeed Paul, got a couple of paramedic mates who are over there, and my eldest daughter is a doctor in Manchester.
Damn Jack. Cannot imagine what this must be like. it's just such a senseless act. I am disgusted and frustrated by this continual violence. What to do?

Haven't been around The Porch much lately. I think it started with being annoyed by the forum changes (although I feel like that was ages ago now), then I got busy with other things, and eventually, when I would get on to try and catch up, I'd get overwhelmed by the amount of catching up I had to do (8+ pages of threads with new content). I've always made it a point to read (or at least glance through) every thread on The Porch, but at this point I think I might have to hit the highlights, then mark everything else as read just to reset. :D

Randy, I'm sorry to hear about your health issues, but I hope that things keep looking up. Keep a positive attitude, my friend! :thumbsup:

I hope everyone else is doing well!

Glad to se you back Barrett! I feel the very same some days. Can't catch up:) My sense of it is, no need to explain, just jump back in. But, I could be wrong. I've been wrong before:oops:

Yesterday as is the tradition, the Blue Angels performed for the Naval Academy graduation. We joined several thousand of our closest friends;) anchored up in the Severn river and watched. Unfortunately, it was a very low ceiling. Not a great day for photos.
rADfbzA.jpg

WwinqmX.jpg

Dp9On34.jpg

Just thought I would share it. It makes you feel proud and it's awesome to see close up.

Nice pics, Alan. It's always a treat to see the Navy and Air Force air shows. Seen a few over the years myself.

Nice pics, Alan. It's always a treat to see the Navy and Air Force air shows. Seen a few over the years myself.
Thanks Gary. It has become a tradition for a lot of boaters around Annapolis. The Angels always fly on Wednesday of graduation week. Quite a party!

Sharing this in case anyone else here has been trying to figure out the same thing.

One thing I've been missing when viewing the new site on my phone is being able to see people's signatures at the end of their posts. I see them on my computer and my tablet, but not on the phone. I haven't been able to get them to show in portrait display mode, but I noticed this morning that they do display when I rotate the screen 90 degrees so that the site re-formats for a wide display. Problem mostly solved.

Hey guys and gals. I got that huge splint like thing of f of my arm and that has given me more ability to do things including typing. Still not the easiest thing to do but much better than before. If all goes well I'll get to go home in three weeks, if real well less. I've missed interacting with all of you this place is more a place to hangout with your pal's than an internet site. I saw where some of you were thinking of sending cards and I want to thank you so much. OK I guess that's the update.
I'm 2 days late and $2 short, but thanks for sharing an update on your "upswing", Randy! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Great to hear that your splint is gone and that you're getting better. Hope you make it home ASAP!! :thumbsup::D
Looking forward to seeing you on The Porch whenever you've got the time and energy!

- GT

Wow, that is SOME flying! Thanks for sharing Alan :thumbsup:

One thing I've been missing when viewing the new site on my phone is being able to see people's signatures at the end of their posts.

I can see them, but in some cases, I would be very happy not to! I think including political or religious statements in sig lines is an abuse :thumbsdown:

I think I've got used to the new format now, and while I know it seems rather churlish to say so, I still prefer the old format, and miss a number of the features which are now gone :(

I don't think it's churlish Jack, it's an opinion and your point of view.

One I share. I don't feel nearly as 'connected' to the Forum as before, likely because I haven't bothered to master the new aspects. Yet I find it more remote than before, still don't know how to reach people via e-mail, VM doesn't seem to be much in evidence now either. I liked that I could see who was reading a particular thread or where people were located(if they chose to show it on the avatar). Then the new emoticons are lame as an old dog....

Whine over, for now....

I also feel the same about this new format. I visit other (non-knife) forums and deal with various forum software. I have, for the most part, figured this one out, but have to say, this one is by far the worst format I've seen. It's really not very user friendly in my opinion. It very well may be more stable and easier from an administrative standpoint. I cannot speak towards that. But for me it's horrible for members.

I forgot one other aspect that's not fully the software format fault. The way posts are quoted and commented on, I quite often find myself missing people commenting on some of my posts. Now part of that can probably be attributed to my aging :rolleyes:, but for me it's also how things are formatted. :confused:

Back