"Carl's Lounge" (Off-Topic Discussion, Traditional Knife "Tales & Vignettes")

I just caught a couple of replies I had to reply to. I'm not sure I can blame the software, since it lights up red to announce replies.
I'm ok with the new stuff, but it seems I've been a surface-dabbling water-strider among depth-plumbing otters.

I forgot one other aspect that's not fully the software format fault. The way posts are quoted and commented on, I quite often find myself missing people commenting on some of my posts. Now part of that can probably be attributed to my aging :rolleyes:, but for me it's also how things are formatted. :confused:
There's an option to have an alert when someone quotes you.
There are some things I like better in the new format, and some things I really miss. :( Especially the email link.

I guess I'm the odd man out. I like the new format and am fine with it.

I do wish there was a 'dislike' button just as there is a 'like'.

I have found the more time I spend on any social media or forums the more I believe those connections are valuable in my life. Imho, we all need to disconnect for a time to remember what is valuable.

Anyways, it's FRIDAY folks! Someone change the subject to a positive note.

Well said, Brett. I have no problem with the software, it works great and higher quality picture uploads.

Have a great weekend folks, what does everyone have planned?

We are just hanging at home getting things ready to move.

Reactions: KBA
I have two lil ones that need to take a tech break :)

I found them this morning around 6am watching Wizard of Oz. I'm not even sure how they found it as it is not saved on the iPad.

Attachments

• IMG_4098.PNG
    IMG_4098.PNG
    287.5 KB · Views: 11
Well said, Brett. I have no problem with the software, it works great and higher quality picture uploads.

Nice Kris: I also prefer the new forum software. It's much faster and easier to upload. But, I did a deep dive and tried to figure all the stuff out. I like the Conversations part better also.
I'm going to pretty much sign out shortly too. I have kids and grandkids descending on the house for the weekend. Grandpa can't and doesn't want to, be parked on the computer while they're around.

Alan, that is great to read. Life is offline my friend. Enjoy the family and your weekend.

I have two lil ones that need to take a tech break :)

I found them this morning around 6am watching Wizard of Oz. I'm not even sure how they found it as it is not saved on the iPad.

Looks like the found a comfy spot to engage too

Reactions: KBA
There are features I miss about the old software, both as a user and as a moderator. I think the thing I miss most is seeing who is reading a thread. Makes the forum feel less personal.

On the other hand, the old software was past its expiry date. It had become unstable and kept hiccoughing and crashing. Certain features no longer worked well and could not be fixed. It had to be replaced. One of the limitations of choosing new software was it had to be able to access all the old threads. My understanding is that this requirement limited the replacement options.

I used the prior software for a good 10 years. certain things had become automatic reflexes. I knew where all the features were hidden. Still learning where the features are in this software. It's getting easier to do everything. But I still miss seeing who else is online.

There are features I miss about the old software, both as a user and as a moderator. I think the thing I miss most is seeing who is reading a thread. Makes the forum feel less personal.

On the other hand, the old software was past its expiry date. It had become unstable and kept hiccoughing and crashing. Certain features no longer worked well and could not be fixed. It had to be replaced. One of the limitations of choosing new software was it had to be able to access all the old threads. My understanding is that this requirement limited the replacement options.

I used the prior software for a good 10 years. certain things had become automatic reflexes. I knew where all the features were hidden. Still learning where the features are in this software. It's getting easier to do everything. But I still miss seeing who else is online.

i thought that was on the main page. i still see who is online, but its so broad. also theres a green light on members online on threads

shorthand way of saying, "who's reading the Traditional forum at any one time and who is currently reading the same thread that I am reading."

shorthand way of saying, "who's reading the Traditional forum at any one time and who is currently reading the same thread that I am reading."

ah i see, tis a shame that is gone. "people i follow" is not very specific sadly. cant figure if that means present or was recently online

I think the thing I miss most is seeing who is reading a thread. Makes the forum feel less personal.

I miss that feature, too.

Maybe, as a workaround, we could ask everyone to post "I'm reading this thread" every time they're reading a thread? That way we'd know who was there. :eek: :D

Good morning all, sounds like mixed reviews on the new software. I am one of those that don't like change so I really need to give this a chance and not just not just decide I don't like it because it's new.

They took the last of the staples out of my hand yesterday and it sure make's typing much easier. If all goes well I am scheduled tone released June 6. The first two things I want to get when I get home is a home cooked meal and a #47 Viper. (Hee Hee)

Good to hear from you Randy, and hope you'll be home soon my friend :thumbsup:

Pretty glad I didn't go out for my usual Saturday hike today, despite the hot and sunny weather we've been experiencing - I'd be absolutely DRENCHED! Raining real hard! :eek:

Great to hear you're on the mend, my friend - and that you haven't forgotten your priorities!;):thumbsup:

I remember how disappointed I was when I was in hospital for a spell once and I asked a friend to bring me an Opinel - my preferred EDC at the time. They brought me a multitool instead, with a blunt blade.:( LOL!:D

Hope the time goes smoothly for you, Randy - all the best, my friend.

I'm getting used to the new software too. There's still a few bugs on my end, but other then that it seems much quicker to load and navigate. Like Frank and a few others, I do miss knowing who is reading a thread when I am.

Big weekend here. My youngest son defended his dissertation this past week. We'll be at his PhD Hooding Ceremony today at Cornell U. It's my grandson's first birthday, my oldest son's 34th, and we have friends from Portland, Maine visiting. There will be a few parties....

Have a great weekend folks!

Last edited:
Back