Case Bone Stag

I like the pics I've seen and yours are no exception, Alan.

Oddly, I don't recall ever owning a Case Bone Stag knife. Is it usually fat like Stag or is it more like regular bone?

Good question Rick. I went back to look because I wasn't sure. It appears that Case attempts to mimic real stag. I think there may be a practical reason. Case tends to smooth out the jigging on their knives towards the bolsters and by cutting grooves in the bone it might thin out the bone in a way that could cause cracking. Therefore, by convexing the covers and then cutting the grooves, it looks like stag in many ways and at the same time strengthens it. image.jpeg

Thanks for the additional pics, Alan. I had assumed it was more like bone but your comments make perfect sense. I've never been a fan of Stag with a big bulge in the middle or on one side only but all three of those are nicely done.

I totally agree. I love stag handled knives, but I'm very picky.

I like pretty much any kind of bone stag, but Case's is pretty nice. I have seen it from heavily toasted to pretty plain, and from pretty thin like most bone to thicker in the middle as Alan shows above.

86589dd1-c5bc-474c-b1f6-09333b1fdf6d_zpszgcgl32i.jpg~original

b0ca6d03-c285-4f27-b426-459e13a367ac_zpsu4bpmcz5.jpg~original

809fd44e-4927-4b48-b67e-37b0e912fdb1_zpsmab6kych.jpg~original

4916990c-337c-4a79-8c59-45e1a1761e63_zpsdwzleukj.jpg~original

I do not have a problem with the Case Bone Stag . Some of it looks very nice , especially if they get the color done right. I am not sure if this is fairly new right now for Case or not . There were many makers who called jigged bone Stag or Bone Stag . They were just trying to get a rough surface on it to somewhat mimic the real stag . Yours are very nice Alan .

Harry

I had a Baby Doctor knife in Bone Stag that felt great and looked good, but it didn't have quite enough Bone Stag character. I'd love to get a Sodbuster Jr in Bone Stag if I could actually get one that looks like their advertised picture. The nearest Case dealer that would possibly carry it is too far of a drive. So, until I'm in that part of the state again, I'll continue to admire Bone Stag through a screen.

Alan, did you hand pick your Bone Stag knives? They are mighty fine examples!

The Tribal Lock I pre-ordered totally blind. The tear drop and stockman I bought off the exchange from photos. I guess I have 'knife' luck.

I think it's a very good option, don't regard it as poor man's stag or a substitute, but a nice choice in itself. It varies a lot which gives interest, here's a cv Medium Stockman in it. The pile side is much more deeply grooved, offers fine grip and texture.

Jeff love that modified Saddlehorn, seem to recall that was a nice grooved example ;)

IMG_0534.jpg

BCD9DDD4-E3C7-46EF-8F12-90C8F788BB70_zpsxlstwf89.jpg
02C6B970-FCD7-45E1-BBE7-650B02DB691F_zpsv857ubue.jpg
E70625BF-331C-4CE6-BCF0-0586723A90A8_zpscefbo3hh.jpg

I just got this one in this morning. It's definitely nicer than the antique bone. They did a decent job matching up the sides. All in all I'm very pleased. So far I like it much more than the antique bone.

I just got this one in this morning. It's definitely nicer than the antique bone. They did a decent job matching up the sides. All in all I'm very pleased. So far I like it much more than the antique bone.

I like to dye job on that one. Very attractive and that Zulu blade is just all around good.

I like to dye job on that one. Very attractive and that Zulu blade is just all around good.

I'm very pleased with it. I'd never had a Zulu before these and I'm surprised at how much I like it. Usually I prefer a lot more belly.

Back