Case Bose Dog Leg Jack vs. Coffin Jack

Preface: Once again, I have tried to take fair and honest pictures. I am not a professional photographer though.

Well, here it is, my very first two Case Bose's! These were purchased for collecting, not for using (I'm too poor to use them lol). The dog leg jack was bought second hand since that is the only way I could find it. The coffin jack was bought brand new from a dealer. I will say though, my favorite pocketknife is still the texas jack. Everything about it is perfect.

hLChgU5.jpg

General conclusions: The Case Bose series is great. Everything about them is great. I prefer the coffin jack to the dog leg jack. Both fit well in the hand. However, the dog leg jack is wider; I personally prefer a narrower frame so the coffin jack feels great.

426qcGm.jpg

Dog Leg Jack: I can't find a single factory error or blemish or anything. Just a great pocketknife.

J4UQgHA.png

Coffin Jack: On the spear blade, the swedge is every so SLIGHTLY not lined up perfectly. Almost as if it was done by hand (imagine that). Also the scales are not matched up as nicely as the dog leg jack which was a little disappointing.

fWPPvgs.png

UgBJPFs.jpg

Declining quality? I know this has been discussed previously. I'm undecided on it. I can notice a few differences between the dog leg jack (2003) and the coffin jack (2011) (mentioned above) which I presume has happened over the years.

Other notes: On both pocketknives, on both pen blades, the swedges are cut short on the nail nick side as opposed to the other side. I was surprised by this. I believe it is not a factory error but instead it is a part of the manufacturing process since the nail nick gets in the way of a swedge.

0Pqct9e.jpg

GstbWZq.jpg

Side note: The dog leg jack has some type of white residue inside the jigging. My father's Case mini trapper in amber bone had the same thing. On it, I just used warm water, mild soap, and a toothbrush and it cleaned up fine. I'm leery to do that to this one because it's so expensive. Would it hurt it in any way?

ZLQH1do.jpg

Nice review, nice knives. The swedging on the pen blades is very well done. I have a few custom knives with the same swedging, drawn swedge on the nick side and a cut swedge on the obverse. Case used the same on the Norfolk, both lock-backs and probably others too. I'd say it's pretty common to see that combination.

I imagine the residue is just some polishing compound. It should come off pretty easily using the same technique you used on the mini-trapper.

Nice knives and review. I think the long cut swedge on the inside of the secondary allows for more access for your finger and nail, to get to the long pull on the main in the closed position.

Back