Cast Iron Beckerheads, Sound Off!

I have one of the reversible griddles that I have been using for many years and it works great but I always found it to be not so reversible. Maybe I am just not reseasoning the side that I don't use much as often as I should. The gas burner on my range just seems to keep that side too dry and my attempts at keeping both sides in good cookable condition have so far fallen short. Do any of you Lodge experts have any advice on maintaining a double sided griddle? Thanks in advance. :)

Not sure how this thread was not on my radar. I'm a CI addict. Last week I completed my Wagner pie logo collection after almost 10 years of searching. I also picked up a rare bundt pan I usually see go towards upwards of $400. Tbe cast iron pickers market is pretty abysmal on the west coast, so I've had to be patient.

I have one of the reversible griddles that I have been using for many years and it works great but I always found it to be not so reversible. Maybe I am just not reseasoning the side that I don't use much as often as I should. The gas burner on my range just seems to keep that side too dry and my attempts at keeping both sides in good cookable condition have so far fallen short. Do any of you Lodge experts have any advice on maintaining a double sided griddle? Thanks in advance. :)

It depends on how you clean it, and your seasoning practices. How high you crank your burners impacts it as well, a lot of people heat cast iron hotter than needed when cooking. I clean mine and place it back on the burner over low heat. Then wipe on a coat of Crisco, and rub excess off. Let it heat a bit, and wipe any excess off and heat more. This builds up a finish that is like glass on both sides.

I just seasoned a dutch oven a few nights ago. Was gonna take it to the cabin this weekend, but freaking rain, rain, and more rain.

A week ago I had a 10" shallow Lodge Camp oven, a deep 12", a deep 14", then last weekend I scored a discontinued and very scarce 16" camp oven, then yesterday I received a 8" 2 quart oven that I found on Craigslist in Boise Idaho, and yesterday, on another forum I scored a 6" 1 quart oven that I am awaiting for it to arrive in the mail.

Untitled by redmech, on Flickr

To show the size of the 16", this is a 12" oven setting inside the 16", The 16" is King,
You can't not have a 16" Camp Oven,

Here are a couple horse shoe trivets to cook off of and a place to set a lid full of hot coals, they have 1/2" nuts welded, so you have removeable legs, for easy storage and adjustable height.
You can also see my new little 8" oven in the background,

Last edited:
If I were to start on a Lodge brand, what should I be looking into? Just for general 3-4pax outdoor grill stuffs.

If I were to start on a Lodge brand, what should I be looking into? Just for general 3-4pax outdoor grill stuffs.

For 3-4 people for a camp oven, a 10" deep or 12" deep is an extremely versatile cooking utensil. You can cook Main meals, deserts, breads, breakfast casseroles, lots of things to do with them.

We purchased a campfire cooking set to keep at the cabin. Pretty cool actually. Has the 2 side posts, crossbar, 5 different length pot hooks, lid lifter, utensil holder, and fire poker. We loved it. Worked out great:

35.png

Got the fire going:

36.png

You can see a dutch over we got for Christmas a few years ago. I seasoned it before we left:

37.png

Heat up the pot a bit:

38.png

Lid lifter in use:

39.png

Hamburger in for browning:

40.png

41.png

Having problems getting the wood to burn well, so I batoned some dry stuff to get it going better:

42.png

43.png

Meat browned and drained, onions and peppers in:

46.png

Beans, mix, sauce, and of course, beer. My wife makes killer beer chili:

47.png

Just about done:

48.png

Damn good stuff:

49.png

Some Makers Mark, and an Isla Del Sol cigar to finish it off with. I drank a few straight, then later, the wife made us some whiskey sours:

50.png

We purchased a campfire cooking set to keep at the cabin. Pretty cool actually. Has the 2 side posts, crossbar, 5 different length pot hooks, lid lifter, utensil holder, and fire poker. We loved it. Worked out great:

35.png

Got the fire going:

36.png

You can see a dutch over we got for Christmas a few years ago. I seasoned it before we left:

37.png

Heat up the pot a bit:

38.png

Lid lifter in use:

39.png

Hamburger in for browning:

40.png

41.png

Having problems getting the wood to burn well, so I batoned some dry stuff to get it going better:

42.png

43.png

Meat browned and drained, onions and peppers in:

46.png

Beans, mix, sauce, and of course, beer. My wife makes killer beer chili:

47.png

Just about done:

48.png

Damn good stuff:

49.png

Some Makers Mark, and an Isla Del Sol cigar to finish it off with. I drank a few straight, then later, the wife made us some whiskey sours:

50.png

This is living 👍

Good stuff warrior! I can't wait to have that for myself.

Thanks man. Have had that set bookmarked forever, finally decided to get it.

Pan-fried some sole in one Lodge skillet; sautรฉed veggies in the other. Both left a bit of a mess.
We've had this discussion before, but it was the one day my wife decided to "help me out" by washing dishes while I was in the garage shaping my BK17 scales.
Luckily, one is really old (passed down from her grandmother) and the other I spent hours seasoning a few years back.
Came back in, and both are clean, dull, and dry as a bone...
She thought gallons of dawn and a scotch-brite would be fun.

I heated 'em up on the stove with olive oil, and let it sit there kinda thick overnight. They're still serviceable, but I'm tempted to take 'em back to the oven with flaxseed oil to get the nice slick glaze back.
Will that help? Or would I need to strip 'em first for it to be worthwhile? (Not really interested in doing that - particularly on the ancient one.)

I'll have to upload pictures later, however last night I stuffed chicken breasts with spinach, bacon, onions, garlic and Monterey jack cheese. Made some rice with it, and brussel sprouts, then made a white wine dijion sauce out of whole mustard seeds, chardonnay, garlic, lemon juice, white pepper, salt, and a tiny bit of cream. It was all made with a cast iron skillet.

Last edited:
Flea market, slowly completing my set. Just needs a light cleaning:

IMG_20170312_154908-small.jpg

IMG_20170312_154916-small.jpg

Used one of the 10" skillets for the blackened sole last night; the other handled the stove-to-oven roasted brussels sprouts. Delicious.
This morning, used a single one for the onions, bacon and eggs.
Since it was sittin' there, I used it for the sauteed zucchini tonight. Slipped out of my silicone oven mitt onto the porcelain serving bowl. Good bye, bowl.
Darn things are so handy, though!
Need another ove glove, or at least something that fits my hand and doesn't let heavy pans spin around.

Back