Catching a Tiger Rockfish on a fly.

That's pretty darned cool. Great looking fish.

I agree, great looking fish. Congrats!

What's the next target?

I agree, great looking fish. Congrats!

What's the next target?
Thanks guys. Next target? Well, I need a King salmon, and a steelhead. I have challenged myself to catch each of Alaska's game fish with an original fly pattern of my own. If you like, you can read more about it in my blog. Here's a link http://akflytyer.blogspot.com/

I love salmon fishing on Lake Michigan, we get pretty good numbers of fish but they run on the smaller side down here compared to where your at.

Rick's reaction reminded me of Mr. Miyagi when Daniel Son caught the fly with chopsticks.

What weight gear were you using? I'm looking at a 12 weight for chinooks. I know it's a little big for them but...

I'm using a 12 weight and a 16 weight. I make the fly line that we use, 30 feet of T20 attached to 70ft of T17.

Where are you going to fish for Kings? It really wouldn't be overkill for up here.
What weight gear were you using? I'm looking at a 12 weight for chinooks. I know it's a little big for them but...

I'm using a 12 weight and a 16 weight. I make the fly lines we use, 30 ft of T20 and 70 ft of T70.

Where are you going to fish for kings, a 12 weight would not be overkill for up here.

I love salmon fishing on Lake Michigan, we get pretty good numbers of fish but they run on the smaller side down here compared to where your at.

I bet it's a lot of fun, I'm fishing for kings in the upper Nushigak later this summer.

Rick's reaction reminded me of Mr. Miyagi when Daniel Son caught the fly with chopsticks.

Rick and I give each other quite a bit of grief. He hasn't caught a tiger on a fly yet so if he ever does, I will give him the same kind of reaction. If he wasn't so much fun to fish with, I wouldn't put up with him.

Mark, make sure you post some picks of the kings when you start catching them.

I'm using a 12 weight and a 16 weight. I make the fly line that we use, 30 feet of T20 attached to 70ft of T17.

Where are you going to fish for Kings? It really wouldn't be overkill for up here.

I'm using a 12 weight and a 16 weight. I make the fly lines we use, 30 ft of T20 and 70 ft of T70.

Where are you going to fish for kings, a 12 weight would not be overkill for up here.
I live on the Alsea river on the Oregon coast. We get some 40 pounders here so I always think that bigger is better.
I recently picked up an old pflueger that will be great on a 12wt rod. I have a 9 that I use for steelhead.

I live on the Alsea river on the Oregon coast. We get some 40 pounders here so I always think that bigger is better.
I recently picked up an old pflueger that will be great on a 12wt rod. I have a 9 that I use for steelhead.

I think the 12 would be great, unless you want a bigger challenge. I have broken too many tens on 40+ fish. Especially if you have some current in the river.

Thank you, that is really good to know. I usually troll with a custom rod and a Penn Jigmaster with 30lb trilene. It's probably overkill but I don't care.
When I'm not trolling I want to try some flies.

I nailed a 43 lb red spring on the Fraser river from shore about 8 years ago....almost an hour in and 200 yards from where I hooked him.....fast current slinging 6 Oz lead
Never seen rockfish on fly....nice!

Awesome catch! Wow, a 16 weight. That would be a wayyy different feeling from 3-5 weights I use here in pennsylvania trout fishing mostly in remote little streams.

Back