Cck 1303

What are everyone's thoughts on the chefs to go Chinese cleaver? (Now $70) Is this a good deal for my first cleaver around the under $100 price range? I haven't ever sharpened a cleaver either, I use Arkansas stones.
Tia

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I have the little rhino cleaver by CCK, but not the more famous 1303. However, I believe they are similarly thin, same carbon steel, and same handle construction.

It's not a difficult steel to sharpen, I use Japanese waterstones, but I'm sure Arkansas stones will work just fine as well. Are you OK with maintaining carbon steel that isn't stainless? It takes a little more work.

I'm not a big fan of the handle and the metal crimp attachment. I think water can get in there and rust the tang if you're not careful.

It's a thin chinese cleaver not meant for chopping bones. If you haven't used a Chinese cleaver your main chef's knife, you could try a cheap stainless cleaver from the local Chinese grocery to see if you like the general shape. There is also a $10 or $15 Chinese cleaver from wokshop online that you could try for cheap too.

I have the little rhino cleaver by CCK, but not the more famous 1303. However, I believe they are similarly thin, same carbon steel, and same handle construction.

It's not a difficult steel to sharpen, I use Japanese waterstones, but I'm sure Arkansas stones will work just fine as well. Are you OK with maintaining carbon steel that isn't stainless? It takes a little more work.

I'm not a big fan of the handle and the metal crimp attachment. I think water can get in there and rust the tang if you're not careful.

It's a thin chinese cleaver not meant for chopping bones. If you haven't used a Chinese cleaver your main chef's knife, you could try a cheap stainless cleaver from the local Chinese grocery to see if you like the general shape. There is also a $10 or $15 Chinese cleaver from wokshop online that you could try for cheap too.
How do you like the little rhino? If I do decide to get the cck 1303, I will learn to love it for the $70 price tag 😃, do you think it's worth $55 more than the wok shop? Also, I wouldn't mind the extra up keep of carbon steel, but you have me thinking about the handle with water getting to the tang.

Love my CCKs. But wont pay what CKTG is asking for them. (Not knocking them buy all kinds of other stuff from them).

Have 2 of the bone crushers i found in a shop in NYC Chinatown. $35. Bargain.

Have. A slimmer Chinese CHef knife (Not CCK) found on ebay used. Also in that range. Love it.

What are everyone's thoughts on the chefs to go Chinese cleaver? (Now $70) Is this a good deal for my first cleaver around the under $100 price range? I haven't ever sharpened a cleaver either, I use Arkansas stones.
Tia

good question.
cleaver like that can be sharpened very well with your stone!!!
try about 30 degrees total angle it will get strength and be sharp to cut good
no pls dont do bones it is not a butcher (heavy )cleaver
Joe

Back