CFK Knife update and company history

My favourite thing to date about this thread is how "terror" is apparantly inspired into the CEO of this company...by a bad review.

(He calls people who give bad reviews terrorists, thus showing that he doesn't know what the word means)

Man this thread is great/sucks

So monotonous. With a shifty/elusive CEO who never answers any real questions but clearly hawk-eyed this thread from it's inception well over a year ago. So much misdirection and misinformation this thread is like a labrynth.

And to think I actually just went through 24 pages just to see if Jason ever answers clearly or if anyone ever actually did a rockwell test on one of his knives. Let me save the suspense: nope, but it seems fair to say something is rotten in Denmark (or Pakistan, or Turkey)....

I will admit I don't like the "slight of hand" business practices that seem to be in play, but if those knive actually test well I would consider one for it's price. I don't like WalMart either, but I find myself there quite frequently. Sometimes budget will flex the moral compass.

Man this thread is great/sucks

So monotonous. With a shifty/elusive CEO who never answers any real questions but clearly hawk-eyed this thread from it's inception well over a year ago. So much misdirection and misinformation this thread is like a labrynth.

And to think I actually just went through 24 pages just to see if Jason ever answers clearly or if anyone ever actually did a rockwell test on one of his knives. Let me save the suspense: nope, but it seems fair to say something is rotten in Denmark (or Pakistan, or Turkey)....

I will admit I don't like the "slight of hand" business practices that seem to be in play, but if those knive actually test well I would consider one for it's price. I don't like WalMart either, but I find myself there quite frequently. Sometimes budget will flex the moral compass.

Exactly. Though I'd still rather buy a cold steel if the prices were comparable. Because at least Lynn Thompson is honest enough although still a turd. This CFK guy is a shady turd. That leads to a lot of flies.

Rescently bought a knife from CFK. Poorly made, "descent" stag on it, but if want a knife that will take/hold an edge,usable, would avoid. Couldn't get to cut butter out of box, and would not take an edge, and it was 1095, supposed to be easy to sharpen, but no. Believe nothing they claim. Did get to return though, so, not complete loss.

Reactions: Mo2
I don't like WalMart either, but I find myself there quite frequently. Sometimes budget will flex the moral compass.

I totally agree, but I think a consumer should get to choose to buy the really cheap disposable item that has a "Made in China" stamp and sticker on it and on the packaging. It is different if someone thinks they are buying something hand-ground in England by a shop immune from labor costs, and then finished off and QC'd in Oregon by a SOF Black Ops commander who also designed it personally and an owner who loves his customers so much he's taking a loss on every knife. If the thread informs consumers, that's enough IMHO. If it is monotonous, don't read it. I usually don't. I'm not sure why it bothers people who have the option to unsubscribe or not click on it - that goes for any thread.

Anyone heard of PCKnives?

My experience with a CFK knife.
The funniest part is it was advertised CFK, has a IFAK sticker, instead of CFK and says PCKnives on the knife and sheath, not even trying to understand this, but add this to all the smoke and mirrors that is already going on this doesn't help their case much on these not being Pakistan imports.

I dunno, but the thing that CFK seems to do really well is to take numerous decent pictures of the actual knife AND sheath you are buying. It sounds pretty weird to me that he received a sheath he wasn't expecting. I see typos in that post too. "IFAK sticker" I am sure was an iPAK sticker. "PCKnives" on the sheath I would assume was CFK. No groundbreaking revelations there IMHO.

I actually received exactly what I thought I was buying, picture showed PCknives on knife and sheath, no confusion, just a question of why three different names for one company, it was explained about IPAK being the tactical side, but PCknives I've not seen discussed.

I actually received exactly what I thought I was buying, picture showed PCknives on knife and sheath, no confusion, just a question of why three different names for one company, it was explained about IPAK being the tactical side, but PCknives I've not seen discussed.

So the CFK toad now has three heads instead of just two.

I think we need PICS!

Looking at as many auctions under their E-store as I could stand... I see nothing but CFK and iPAK marked stuff, but there is a new "line" called "Patina Color". Maybe that's significant to your new logo... but I think I need to see it first.

I just went on eBay and didn't see any, weird there were a ton of them a couple days ago, there are the pics from my auction and the link to the completed auction, if you can even view it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CFK-Custom-Handmade-Damascus-Hawaiian-Koa-Wood-Large-Hunting-Skinning-EDC-Knife-/272510445676?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Tsi0UNuCICsZaq0B%252B9uzzb4XuHY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

SujjyZ3.jpg

tclhruH.jpg

EI74SEB.jpg

8rBkWPw.jpg

WGuxGCA.jpg

Here is my experience with CFK for what it's worth. I have bought a number of their knives, but have also sold most of them....think I have 3-4 left out of more than a dozen. When I first started buying them they would start at $0.99 and could typically get them for $50 give or take. For that amount they seem pretty decent, but a little "rough around the edges". I just went after the ones I liked the looks of, which can be tedious, as so many of them look ridiculous, and there is no consistency to their offerings. One thing I noticed pretty quick is that their rat-tail tang knives with stacked leather and bone handles are typically too big around for my liking...in some cases it's like they were copying a smaller knife and just scaled it up without giving any thought to how thick the handle got. I have found their full-tang knives with handle scales to be a much better fit for my hands.

Their sheaths seem pretty nice, but on the ones that have a separate belt loop riveted to the main body, there's not much meat where it is riveted, and I could see it ripping through with use. If the loop was made with slightly wider leather, and they didn't rivet it so close to the edge, it would be much better. They have other sheaths that don't have this issue, as the belt loop is formed by a single piece of leather that makes up the back of the sheath, but on those, the retention strap that goes around the handle is only held on by a sliver of leather, which again I could see ripping thru. If they riveted the strap it would be much better.

The first one I got was a drop point bowie in D2 with micarta handle scales. Still have that one, and actually used it to chop thru a ~6" tree branch to see what would happen. Was half-expecting it to shatter on the first hit, but it held up fine and after wiping down the blade couldn't tell at all.

Now that they seem to have gained in popularity, they have higher starting bids, and go for more than before. They also have a 15% restocking fee...in their listings it says that the restocking fee "may apply", so I asked them under what conditions it applied, and they responded that it applied to all returns, unless it was defective. So due to all this, plus the quality only being so-so, I have pretty much stopped buying from them, but I still do look at their listings, just in case.

If you type in "cfk raindrop" in ebay and then click sold items you will see a lot of the PCKnives on there.

All manner of Pakistani knives are on eBay with the colored blades. Many are sold as "from Canada" or "USA" or sold as the supposedly "custom" (As in "Custom Forged Knives" - CFK) products of imaginary makers with Western-sounding names. If there is a dollar to be scammed, someone will be scamming for it.

Maybe Dr. Bulldog Jason can chime in and tell us the significance of PCknives and Patina Color.

There are all kinds of new "companies" selling the Paki knives for high end prices. Check out BucknBear knives selling on Amazon. At least this guy answered honestly (I assume) when someone wanted to know where the knives are made. "Designed in the USA, made in Pakistan."

More heads for CFK? Yeah, possibly. What would you do if you could not "come clean" because it was too late? Change the business name or add a new name and keep it more honest.

The latest mythology from Asia:

CFK & IPAK Brands sell the entire handmade knife inventory below dealer wholesale, direct to our customers. There are never any dealer mark-ups or retail catalog mark-ups added, we pass these savings onto you. We believe we have the highest quality handmade knives on Etsy, eBay & Amazon. Look no further for the best value for your money.
WHAT WE DO

CFK Cutlery Co. is a private knife manufacturer for the CFK knife brand. Our D2 tool steel is made in Japan and our 1095 and 15N20 are sourced from Europe and Sweden. Our exotic handle materials are sourced from all over the world, including the USA, and our micarta is made in-house from Egyptian cottons and linens. Our headquarters is located in England and our distribution, shipping, and warranty services are located in Oregon. All our textured-micarta grips and scrimshaw handles are made in USA. We use several USA craftsmen (Yellow Hawk or SC Holsters) to handcraft kydex sheath-systems for our customers. Our premium buffalo leathers are sourced from Italy. We are also very fortunate to have famous Navajo's Brian & David Yellowhorse to customize many of our knives and we also have other professional knife makers customize our blades and handles from time to time.

LIMITED LIFETIME REPLACEMENT KNIFE GUARANTEE

Our knives are made very well and designed to last a lifetime. If you happen to break one of our knife blades or knock the handles apart, we will replace it. No replacements will be given without the original Certificate of Authenticity Card with the Warranty Record number on it.

WHAT IS NOT COVERED UNDER THE LIMITED LIFETIME REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE

Wear & tear and blade usage consisting of scratches, small cracks at pins, dings, dents, cosmetic blemishes, blade edge chips, broken knife tips, blade edge dings, re-sharpening errors, corrosion, rusting, pitting, carbon-burs, and tarnish of the knife are not covered by the replacement guarantee. The sheaths are not covered by the replacement guarantee.

Back