Change

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Change, we see this about every day, something seems to always be changing, a fact of life.

The Chinese have a saying 'Make friends with Change' I heard that not long ago and actually printed out the saying in Chinese and taped it to my computer screen frame at work. That way only I would know what it meant and it would be a reminder to me.

Change, let me see;

End of last year, the place I have worked for over 35 years, it has been in it's spot for well over 45 years, suddenly decided it was time to relocate, so we moved everything to about 16 miles from it's original place, into a building that is more an airplane hanger than manufacturing facility, which in part that was what it was made for, Sikorsky helicopter initially until they folded up and left the large hanger building empty for several years. It's been strange going there and working after all the years at the other location.

Family, daughter has divorced and is getting married later this year, our grand kids go a week with their dad and a week with their mom, the one week my wife ends up having to watch them, making a long drive in order to do so.

Bringing it to now, we have been trying to sell our house to move closer to our daughter to lessen the drive which during the winter can be treacherous, but no takers until now. We just went to watch a home inspector check out a house that we thought we could buy when we sell ours, which is just about wrapped up so a new house is pretty important. The home inspector showed us some things that we could not accept, so while we felt like we dodged a bullet, it still leaves us without suitable place to move too. It was a stressful morning, more so for my wife, myself lately I have felt in slow motion and just going along.

So we are searching again for a home in which we would not have to get a mortgage as closing in on retirement in a few years may make that a bit awkward, so a cash buy from the money from our home is what we are shooting for, wish us luck ;)

and of course the most recent change, Blade Forums, while I understand things change and often need to in order to continue, I am not fond of this new format, especially on a small device like an ipod touch which is the only thing I can view it at work, as the web marshal blocks this as a Weapons place.

But I do like how 'clean and fresh' it looks but it is a change and will take some time to get use to the ins and outs, but, that's how it goes.

Make friends with change, not often easy, but can be good advice.

G2

Gary, I feel for you brother. I don't have grandchildren yet, but I can imagine how much you miss seeing them regularly. I hope everything works out well for you and your family. I too have had some major changes in the past few months. We are also planning on selling our house and moving.
But I keep reminding myself and my family that we have so much to be thankful for and it kind of puts things in perspective for me.
Oh, and I'm having trouble getting used to this new format too. :confused:

Thanks man, forgot to say, the house we are in, we have lived here for about 33 years, out in the country, quiet, nice, beautiful sunsets ;) going to be a change to live in 'town' with things like neighbors that you can see a few feet from your windows and more traffic than you normally see, noise, and neighbors, close neighbors did I mention neighbors ? :) now I'm not against having neighbors, just not so close, so very close lol
G2

Lol. yes sir I can relate. But, you have a very good reason for your move. And I'm sure the time spent with your grandchildren Will out weigh the inconvenience of close neighbors. :thumbsup: Im not a very social person, out of choice. As of matter of fact this is the only "social" forum I am a part of.
Luckily my son and daughter take after their mom. :)
I hope everything will work out for you soon. I can imagine this is a stressful time but this too shall pass. ;)

Gary, probably a dumb question, but could you go to the company's IT guru and show him that bladeforums is not really a weapons site, but a tool site, a metallurgy education site and an estheticly pleasing, mechanical form/function site and get dispensation for it? The worst he/she could do is say "No." :D

Gary ,

I appears to me that you are a changed man .
They say that a change is as good as a holiday .

:)

Ken

PS - I don't like the new forum layout either .

I've not heard that said before Ken, I'll take that under advisement ;)

And as to trying to sway the powers that be about the intentions of this site, won't go to far, as we are owned by a Swiss company and IT runs out of Cham right now, and just this week we had training regarding work place violence. Not sure why but when they started going down the list of things to look for in a suspected person that may go bonkers, people kept eyeing me, especially when they listed things like : Has a prevalent tendency towards weapons :) as most people know, being there 36 years now, that I'm the Knife guy, they need a recommendation or something sharpened, they come by my desk.

Thanks for the support folks, it helps :)
G2

Best of luck with the house hunt Gary, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

It seems like everyone is going through radical life changes these days, my wife and I both started new jobs towards the end of last year...and two months later my dad passed away. It's been a lot to handle, but all you can do is just keep plugging away with your head held high :)

And yeah, the new software is different but it's starting to grow on me.

~Chip

The passing of a parent is always stressful, my mother passed 5 years ago but that seems like it can't have been that long now.

And jobs, ugh another thing for me as well, new manager both for plant and my area, and they decided to change what myself and a few others do, letting more responsibilities fall to us instead of hiring, same ole same ole, do more with less and expect everyone to be ok with it, but I remember something, a saying, work flows to the competent man until he drowns, or words to that affect.

G2

Good luck with the move Gary, the time in downsizing to town or burbs living must be challenging.

Thanks, good news, we found a house that just went on the market, checked it out, looks good, price is right and we made an offer and was accepted last night ;) so hopefully paper work and all goes through and we may be in the house by the end of May, early June.

It is a bit larger than the last house we looked at, plus has a nice garage and a deck on the back of the house all for a reasonable price. Seems it is an estate sale and the parent that lived there past away, but, he was in his 90's so he did have a good long run and the property looks well taken care of.

G2

Thanks, it's getting close, simultaneous closings on May 31st, we expect to move in on June 1st, our house is much like the dust bowls of the Midwest, all the boxes from our attic had a ton of dust and now so do we ;)

I am a bit melancholy today thinking about the move and the change, I guess more than a little numb too. My 2010 Sonata has an engine light on, evap leak in the gas filler tube and gas cap, one guy said it would be over $500 if he got parts from the mfg, third party parts would be in the $400 installed and used in the $300 but both of us didn't think that was a good idea to mess with it, but, I ended up not having it done yet, just too much right now, while I can turn a wrench, cars have never been kind to me ;) so I don't know that I could buy the parts and try it myself, hate to have something go wrong when a gas tank is involved.

But, as I look around our house, everything is off the walls now, my wife has touched up all the nail holes so the new owners will have a fresh canvas to work with without much fixing themselves, hope they can see that.

G2

Being conflicted ... hey, I share the same, and similar timing if it unfolds as I wish (not without hesitations). Yet you have made choices that are best and you know this underneath it all.

The engine light - well I bought my current vehicle with the engine light on - but reassured by my mechanic. Beauty.

'They' told you it would get easier as you got older. I don't think 'they' lied, it is just more yours to "finesse" than you were led to believe. Happy finessing ;)

My wife always tells me " Dogs and Old men don't like change " Not sure which category she puts me in .:D

Thanks guys, appreciate the words of comfort ;) always welcome!

I learned another new thing about this up coming move...there comes a time when you do not or can not order anything else, even a sharpening stone, because....it may arrive during the transition ! As we are not IN our new house we can't forward anything there, as we are not OUT of our current house but it is imminent to be out within this week, I don't want to risk any packages coming to this address....UGH no packages makes G2 a sad boy lol not that I have funds at the moment to get anything anyways, it seems odd that if I did...I can't...

HOPEFULLY by this time next week, we will be sitting in a new location, settled in somewhat, with the remnants of boxes seen throughout the house :)

G2

Congrats on the new house! I really liked the sound of your old location. I have always said I would like to live where I can pee off the porch, and no one would complain beccause no one could see me.
Speaking of change April 24 was 4 years at my job,April 28 I was rearended and my car was totaled.April 30 I was let go from my job. I got a new job in a short time which i,ve had to take a leave of absence from as I unexpectedly had quadruple bypass surgery done on May 24. Today I am sitting in my hospital room waiting for a Doctors visit and presumably being released to go home. And enjoying Bladeforums.

Now that is a lot all at once! Hope the doc gives you your walking papers today!

And yes, I'll miss having some privacy around the house, it will be something that will take getting use to for sure!
G2

Back