Chef's Knife recommendation

Good afternoon everybody,

I used to only buy food, I was not a cook myself. But in the last months I am starting to really enjoy cooking.
I bought myself a Victorinox Fibrox 8", a case for it and a steel. To be honest, I am more than satisfied with it.
But I am a knife guy, and I am really curious about the best models out there.
Ideal size for me is between 8 and 10", I like 8" a little bit more. European style, I am not sure I would like to venture into Japanese style yet (unless you can convince me otherwise).
I don't care if it is stainless or carbon, I am used to taking care of blades, carbon is not a problem for me.
Budget is as much as $100 (of course, if there is a really good one that costs $110 I can take the swing, you get the idea). Comfortable range is $70.
I have a preference for buying form Amazon, but it is not a problem to buy from somewhere else.
I was thinking about a Wusthof, sadly the model I was looking at went from around 70 dollars to 100+. Made me kind sad that I didn't buy it before.

So any suggestions?

Thank you very much!

The strange part is that if you buy directly from Japan, it may cost you as little as $7 to have a knife shipped to you. The Japanese Post Office apparently charges next to nothing for small packages.
Good afternoon everybody,

I used to only buy food, I was not a cook myself. But in the last months I am starting to really enjoy cooking.
I bought myself a Victorinox Fibrox 8", a case for it and a steel. To be honest, I am more than satisfied with it.
But I am a knife guy, and I am really curious about the best models out there.
Ideal size for me is between 8 and 10", I like 8" a little bit more. European style, I am not sure I would like to venture into Japanese style yet (unless you can convince me otherwise).
I don't care if it is stainless or carbon, I am used to taking care of blades, carbon is not a problem for me.
Budget is as much as $100 (of course, if there is a really good one that costs $110 I can take the swing, you get the idea). Comfortable range is $70.
I have a preference for buying form Amazon, but it is not a problem to buy from somewhere else.
I was thinking about a Wusthof, sadly the model I was looking at went from around 70 dollars to 100+. Made me kind sad that I didn't buy it before.

So any suggestions?

Thank you very much!

If you want a $70 8"-10" chef's knife, then the standard recommendation is the Tojiro DP Gyuto in either 210mm or 240mm. It is made in Japan but is a somewhat western style. I don't have one but they are highly regarded for their value at that price point.

Other ones to look are are listed in this very similar recent thread: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1469110-Main-Chef-s-Knife

Thing is I really like to rock chop with the knife. The Tojiro seems to have no curve, compared to the other ones at least.

Hi Ron,

If you are a "Knife Guy", heck, I suggest you start hitting the Thrift Shops, Flea Markets, Yard Sales, etc. and search for vintage Chef Knives. It's MUCH more fun, challenging (and cheaper) hunting down and finding vintage (sometimes rare) Knives. I presently own some really neat ol' knives! I now have several vintage Carbon Steel French SABATIER Chef, Carving and Paring Knives, a WICKED cool vintage 12" FLANDERS AND FRARY AND CLARK (Rat Tang) Nogent style Chef Knife with super thin blade, a Lamson Chef, some German Knives and of course a bunch of Old Hickory Cabon Steel knives.

I found a vintage Carbon 12" Carving/Slicing SABATIER in beautiful condition the other day at a Thrift Shop for six dollars! I dear say I now have close to a Grand worth of vintage Kitchen knives and I bet I haven't spent one hundred dollars in total cost. That being said, I do like new as well but, I'm a poor Boy lol. Good luck in your search Ron.

HARDBALL

Comparing my Tojiro DP Gyuto 180 to my Victorinox 8" Chef, their edges are almost the same. I have no trouble rock chopping and the Tojiro's thinner blade seems to cut easier than the Vic.

For <$60, it's a great choice.

Or take HARDBALL's excellent approach and look for a diamond-in-the-rough. ;)

I've only had my tojiro gyuto 210 mm for a couple months but it cuts so much better than my other kitchen knives. It is fun to use! I did reprofile a bit but it was really good even before...i think it cuts so well because it is really thin behind the edge. Now, veggies just fall apart when I pull out my tojiro. ;-)

I recently bought a Case 7" Santoku. I'd been wanting to try the style, and the Case's walnut handles matched the rest of our kitchen knives. It's quickly become our favorite knife in the kitchen. The blade is thinner than my chef's knife and really cuts. My wife and I race to get it first. 1/2 your budget, too.

The Japanese make the best chef knives on the planet. What makes them better than others? Hard, thin blades. The hard blades can maintain an acute bevel angle. The thinness possible with hard steel reduces friction and cuts better. They can be expensive so you should put together a budget before you shop. Someone above mentioned buying directly from Japan and that is good advice. The Japanese suppliers are reliable.

Back