Clan of the Classic

Yup, Can't go wrong with a Classic and they weight next to nothing. :thumbup:

And they cost nest to nothing, especially if you buy them in bulk for 2 dollars each from a TSA confiscated lot. Always carry two classics, one to use, and one to give away when you see a non knife person trying to saw open a box with a house key.

Classic's are the gateway drug to SAK's!:)

Ya know, this could be that start of something big!;)

A cult of the most produced and sold pocket knife on earth. Why, it could lead to world domination!:eek:

:D

I remember you stating some production numbers for Victorinox and they were STAGGERING! I don't recall the numbers but I think it was MILLIONS each year. I dare say that all other pocket knife manufacturers combined don't equal what Victorinox puts out every year.

I remember you stating some production numbers for Victorinox and they were STAGGERING! I don't recall the numbers but I think it was MILLIONS each year. I dare say that all other pocket knife manufacturers combined don't equal what Victorinox puts out every year.

Those figures were from an article in Knife World magazine some years ago. As of then, the annual production numbers of SAK's produced per year was 35 million. Yes, that's 35, as in three-five. Of that 35,000,000 million, the humble little classic accounts for 9 million. No other three knife companies come close to that figure. And it's all Leatherman's fault.

When the Leatherman came out and started to cut into Victorinox's business, the heads of the board at Victorinox, which included one Carl Elsner, made the discussion to make a record investment in the latest high tech production machinery available. Faster spindle speeds, much higher level of automation. Victorinox became the most modern and automated production facility in the world. The only other knife company that comes close is the second largest knife com pay in the world, Opinel. From what I read and think I understand, Opinel has an annual production number of 7 million knives per year.

By comparison, Buck came out with the 110 folding hunter in 1963. It took until a few years ago for them to celebrate the 10 millionth 110 made. Pikers by comparison to Victorinox.

I guess you could say that the Victorinox classic is the worlds most produced pocket knife, at 9 million units per year shipped out the door.

You make a lot of great points, Carl, but the Classic just doesn't do it for me. I prefer the Rally, which gives me a cap lifter/wire stripper/mini-Phillips over the scissors I can't stand. Scissors are a finesse tool, but for me are redundant given the knife blade. The Rally isn't as widely available, but Knifecenter actually sells them for a dollar less than they do standard model Classics.

Those figures were from an article in Knife World magazine some years ago. As of then, the annual production numbers of SAK's produced per year was 35 million. Yes, that's 35, as in three-five. Of that 35,000,000 million, the humble little classic accounts for 9 million. No other three knife companies come close to that figure. And it's all Leatherman's fault.

When the Leatherman came out and started to cut into Victorinox's business, the heads of the board at Victorinox, which included one Carl Elsner, made the discussion to make a record investment in the latest high tech production machinery available. Faster spindle speeds, much higher level of automation. Victorinox became the most modern and automated production facility in the world. The only other knife company that comes close is the second largest knife com pay in the world, Opinel. From what I read and think I understand, Opinel has an annual production number of 7 million knives per year.

By comparison, Buck came out with the 110 folding hunter in 1963. It took until a few years ago for them to celebrate the 10 millionth 110 made. Pikers by comparison to Victorinox.

I guess you could say that the Victorinox classic is the worlds most produced pocket knife, at 9 million units per year shipped out the door.

Thanks for the refresher on those figures. All I can say is WOW!!!!! :eek: That's mind-blowing!! Amazing testimony that the mighty little SAK absolutely dominates the world over. I can certainly see why, it's a high quality tool/knife that can go anywhere and nobody blinks an eye at it. Everyone instantly knows what it is and knows how invaluable they are!

I'm thinking I'll pick up another Classic after reading this. I've had several over the years and they end up getting lost in couch cushions or under the seat of the car I guess. I'm sure they're still out there with whomever found them, doing what they do best. I've gifted all my family members an SAK of one type or another over the years. They're just too darned handy. I just can't imagine how anyone could not find one indispensable.

Yes I do carry a Leatherman Classic (the same one since the day I got it in Sept 1994) and it's very handy indeed. For a number of years it was oftentimes the only tool or knife I had with me, but it's a supplement to a good SAK, not a replacement. Ideally the two go hand in hand - like peanut butter and jelly! Add a Stockman to that formula and you can handle nearly anything. :D

Thanks for the refresher on those figures. All I can say is WOW!!!!! :eek: That's mind-blowing!! Amazing testimony that the mighty little SAK absolutely dominates the world over. I can certainly see why, it's a high quality tool/knife that can go anywhere and nobody blinks an eye at it. Everyone instantly knows what it is and knows how invaluable they are!

I'm thinking I'll pick up another Classic after reading this. I've had several over the years and they end up getting lost in couch cushions or under the seat of the car I guess. I'm sure they're still out there with whomever found them, doing what they do best. I've gifted all my family members an SAK of one type or another over the years. They're just too darned handy. I just can't imagine how anyone could not find one indispensable.

Yes I do carry a Leatherman Classic (the same one since the day I got it in Sept 1994) and it's very handy indeed. For a number of years it was oftentimes the only tool or knife I had with me, but it's a supplement to a good SAK, not a replacement. Ideally the two go hand in hand - like peanut butter and jelly! Add a Stockman to that formula and you can handle nearly anything. :D

Yeah, the little classic definitely dominates the world cutlery market, but I think it goes deeper than just being handy and not making people blink. I think it's a matter of convenience and cost.

My old man once said something that kind of stuck in my mind. He told me that a pocket knife is something that is carried a lot, but only used once in a while. I had asked him why he preferred his little Case peanut over all other knives. Part of it was the sentimental fact that it was a gift from his mother on the boring he left home for school. But part of it was, like a lot of people, he didn't want to be bothered by it or reminded of it when he didn't need it.

Most people I know are not knife enthusiasts. Not at all like us, the afflicted and obsessed. They may recognize that they need a sharp tool once in a while, and maybe once in a while a small screw driver or scissors. The women folk love their scissors, and I have to admit I like them around as well. Very handy. So what kind of knife is a non knife person going to buy? Sure not some three blade stockman, or two blade trapper that is going to del like a rock in a Dickies or office wear clothing. Surely not some big lock blade more suited for field dressing a deer or waging guerrilla warfare and looks too much like a weapon.

Now I'm not just talking the U.S. market. I'm taking world wide sales. Keep in mind most of the rest of the world has much more strict knife regs than us in the U.S. The U.K., Italy, Neatherlands, Scandinavia, far east like Japan and Southeast Asia. Some working guy in London, Tokyo, Stockholm, or Singapore isn't going to spend a lot money on something he can't even carry. But he may spend a little bit on a knife made by a company that has more world wide recognition than any other product except Bic products. The little red handle knife with the silver cross is a recognized quality item, no matter where you go. And the little 58mm's don't cost a arm and a leg, thanks to Victorinox's extremely efficient mass production. World wide, more people are opening mail, FEDEX packages, and trimming a rough nail with the little SAK's than any other pocket knife.

The classic, like the little peanut, is a case study of how efficient a small item can be at a given task. Growing up watching my dad was a study in tool efficiency. How much blade do we really need to open a50 pound bag of dog kibble of bird seed, or slit open a UPS box? Or cut a piece of twine or rope? How much screw driver do we need to deal with a light switch plate cover, or the screws on a fishing reel?

I had to get old to really appreciate how nice miniature equipment that can still function at it's intended job is. Small and light is good. Being retired on a social security check, or being on some kind of limited income also brings home how nice modest price gear is. Either way, I don't think it's an accident that Victorinox's best sellers are the 58mm, and the classic is the most popular. Even business's use them for logo advertising. The little 58's are everywhere on earth.

You make a lot of great points, Carl, but the Classic just doesn't do it for me. I prefer the Rally, which gives me a cap lifter/wire stripper/mini-Phillips over the scissors I can't stand. Scissors are a finesse tool, but for me are redundant given the knife blade. The Rally isn't as widely available, but Knifecenter actually sells them for a dollar less than they do standard model Classics.

Try trimming your nose hairs with a knife blade

Jackknife you have said it all. Especially the part about you old man saying his knife spends a majority of its time in his pocket as compared to his hand. This is first priority for me when planning a knife purchase. Also great reporting on Vic's #'s

Try trimming your nose hairs with a knife blade

That's true, and Victorinox scissors are the #1 implement for me. Mostly for skin boo boos and the like. But not everyone feels the necessity to carry something in their pocket with which they do nostril maintenance, because they do that at home. So it all depends on what one's perceived needs are.

My smaller EDC SAK is actually bigger than the Classic...my Executive. But I did carry a Classic back in the 90s before my Exec. Last year, I tried out a Rambler, and while I like the tools, IMO the tool positioning and selection doesn't feel as intuitive as either my Classic or my Executive. Even after I carried it for awhile, I always got mixed up on which took was where, which is weird. If I went back to carrying a Classic-sized SAK, it would be just a basic Classic.

Jim

My smaller EDC SAK is actually bigger than the Classic...my Executive. But I did carry a Classic back in the 90s before my Exec. Last year, I tried out a Rambler, and while I like the tools, IMO the tool positioning and selection doesn't feel as intuitive as either my Classic or my Executive. Even after I carried it for awhile, I always got mixed up on which took was where, which is weird. If I went back to carrying a Classic-sized SAK, it would be just a basic Classic.

Jim

The executive is a great everyday SAK!

I just wish they were as available as the classic.

Agreed!

I remember Sport Chalet used to carry Executives, but not in a long time. I think the biggest obstacle to the Exec's availability (and popularity?) is it costs about 3 times as much as a Classic, maybe more. It actually costs more than regukar-sized SAKs like the Camper/Hiker/Farmer. Perhaps it's Victorinox's version of a premium pen knife?

Jim

Agreed!

I remember Sport Chalet used to carry Executives, but not in a long time. I think the biggest obstacle to the Exec's availability (and popularity?) is it costs about 3 times as much as a Classic, maybe more. It actually costs more than regukar-sized SAKs like the Camper/Hiker/Farmer. Perhaps it's Victorinox's version of a premium pen knife?

Jim

That's what I could never figure out. For what an executive costs, I can buy a classic and a tinker both, from a few of the on-line knife sales outlets. Why is the executive more expense than a full size 84 or 91mm SAK? Or being the same price as an alox like a pioneer!

Definitely a case of 2+2 equaling 3.8!

Nothing special to contribute but I somehow wound up with two Classics in my pocket today. Love those little guys!

Cheers!

I've had a Classic SD on my key chain for years.

I've also got a Rambler, mostly because folks said Ramblers were better than Classics. I totally disagree. The tools of the classic make a smooth edge on both sides when closed. Both sides of the Rambler are bumpy, especially the side with the cap lifter. The file on the Rambler faces out which means it collects pocket lint like nothing else. The classic hides the face of the file against the blade. The Rambler is noticeably thicker and heavier (which matters on a key chain).

I wanted to like the Rambler, I really did, but it's a lumpy, bumpy, dirty, and heavy little thing compared to the simple elegance of the Classic.

Also, the cap lifter is terrible. The phillips head screwdriver seems like a decent tool, but I don't seem to ever run into screws that size unless I'm at my desk where I have actual precision screwdrivers available to me.

If I want something bigger than the Classic, but still small, I'll reach past the Rambler for the Leatherman Squirt without even thinking about it.

If you prefer the Rambler, then I'm happy for you. But it's not for me. Really, I tried.

Ever since I was a kid I've had some variation of keychain SAK on me - whether they be Classics, Executives or Ramblers, I feel naked without one.

I've had a Classic SD on my key chain for years.

I've also got a Rambler, mostly because folks said Ramblers were better than Classics. I totally disagree. The tools of the classic make a smooth edge on both sides when closed. Both sides of the Rambler are bumpy, especially the side with the cap lifter. The file on the Rambler faces out which means it collects pocket lint like nothing else. The classic hides the face of the file against the blade. The Rambler is noticeably thicker and heavier (which matters on a key chain).

I wanted to like the Rambler, I really did, but it's a lumpy, bumpy, dirty, and heavy little thing compared to the simple elegance of the Classic.

Also, the cap lifter is terrible. The phillips head screwdriver seems like a decent tool, but I don't seem to ever run into screws that size unless I'm at my desk where I have actual precision screwdrivers available to me.

If I want something bigger than the Classic, but still small, I'll reach past the Rambler for the Leatherman Squirt without even thinking about it.

If you prefer the Rambler, then I'm happy for you. But it's not for me. Really, I tried.

It's funny, I recently replaced my long-carried Rambler with a Classic (after finding a bottle opener that I liked well enough to permanently have on my keyring - your observation about the one on the Rambler is spot-on) and, while the difference in weight and girth is not substantial, it is noticeable.

Also, did someone mention Peanuts?!? :D;) They both just fit right in in the "little knives that could" category.

Several years ago, I gifted several family members Vic Classics. Not counting my late dad, and my mom, who carries a Vic pruning knife in her purse, nobody else in my family ever habitually carried any type of knife. Of the lot, only my older brother and his wife still carry their Classics, on their key rings. Prior to that, I'd given my brother some other knives, including a Wenger 'golfer' SAK model (he's a golfer), but the only one he's ever carried, and consistently over several years at that, is the Classic.

Jim

Ever since I was a kid I've had some variation of keychain SAK on me - whether they be Classics, Executives or Ramblers, I feel naked without one.

It's funny, I recently replaced my long-carried Rambler with a Classic (after finding a bottle opener that I liked well enough to permanently have on my keyring - your observation about the one on the Rambler is spot-on) and, while the difference in weight and girth is not substantial, it is noticeable.

Also, did someone mention Peanuts?!? :D;) They both just fit right in in the "little knives that could" category.

Mention peanuts and classic's?

Yeah here we go!
19785783570_36f1029750_z.jpg

These two knives were my only knives for a three week cross country trip that included four days up at Mammoth Lakes California. They cleaned trout, did camp chores, opened lots of food packages, and felt with fishing tackle.

Moments before this trout was caught, the line had been trimmed with the scissors on the classic.
19813654681_1e63d14525_z.jpg

Our granddaughter skunked us all by catching the biggest trout of the day. Her tackle was trimmed with the classic. The classic makes a good little trout knife. This fish was gutted using the Camillus peanut.
19626855679_e0931f5213_z.jpg

Back