Clan of the Classic

I've had a Classic SD on my key chain for years.

I've also got a Rambler, mostly because folks said Ramblers were better than Classics. I totally disagree. The tools of the classic make a smooth edge on both sides when closed. Both sides of the Rambler are bumpy, especially the side with the cap lifter. The file on the Rambler faces out which means it collects pocket lint like nothing else. The classic hides the face of the file against the blade. The Rambler is noticeably thicker and heavier (which matters on a key chain).

I wanted to like the Rambler, I really did, but it's a lumpy, bumpy, dirty, and heavy little thing compared to the simple elegance of the Classic.

Also, the cap lifter is terrible. The phillips head screwdriver seems like a decent tool, but I don't seem to ever run into screws that size unless I'm at my desk where I have actual precision screwdrivers available to me.

If I want something bigger than the Classic, but still small, I'll reach past the Rambler for the Leatherman Squirt without even thinking about it.

If you prefer the Rambler, then I'm happy for you. But it's not for me. Really, I tried.

Ever since I was a kid I've had some variation of keychain SAK on me - whether they be Classics, Executives or Ramblers, I feel naked without one.
It's funny, I recently replaced my long-carried Rambler with a Classic (after finding a bottle opener that I liked well enough to permanently have on my keyring - your observation about the one on the Rambler is spot-on) and, while the difference in weight and girth is not substantial, it is noticeable.

I really couldn't say about the felt differences between the Classic and Rambler with keychain carry because I never carry mini-tools on my keychain. About 95% of the time, they go into my jeans 5th pocket, where each of those, or Micra or Squirt P4, feel pretty much the same. The knock on the Rambler bottle opener is puzzling to me. Sometimes it takes an extra bite or two, but I have used the cap lifter successfully many times, on occasion "just because" when there was a dedicated opener also available. And once in a while, the magnetized #1 (#0? ) finds a use unscrewing battery compartments and the like. My usual take on these matters is that if there is no significant tradeoff in weight and bulk, more is better than less. And don't forget the proper placement of the key ring on the Rambler as compared to the annoying one on the Classic.

But I will certainly agree to disagree :angel: .

Just got this one yesterday to replace a minichamp that was taken by airport security. It should start to look nice and worn after a few weeks on my keychain.

20150804_174836_zpsbw7rwiyu.jpg

Just got this one yesterday to replace a minichamp that was taken by airport security. It should start to look nice and worn after a few weeks on my keychain.

20150804_174836_zpsbw7rwiyu.jpg

Depending on how worn we are talking it will take much longer than that. I carried a green alox classic on my keys for years. If I remember correctly it took at least a few months before it looked remotely (what I consider) worn.

I love me some orange alox by the way. Sweet looking classic.

Long live the Clan !;)

The Classic has been on my key chain since 2010 (replacing the Wenger Exec I've carried before), what a great little knife.

It is my most carried Vic, along with my Explorer/Fieldmaster cross-breed

I have rejoined the Clan of the Classic after gifting my purple one to a friend , i like the classic for its scissors that are at the other end from the key ring, i also carry my Cadet in my LFP along with my handkerchief and between them i am just about covered, here is my Dynamic Duo.

zBod2J0.jpg

The knock on the Rambler bottle opener is puzzling to me. Sometimes it takes an extra bite or two, but I have used the cap lifter successfully many times ... And once in a while, the magnetized #1 (#0? ) finds a use unscrewing battery compartments and the like. ... And don't forget the proper placement of the key ring on the Rambler as compared to the annoying one on the Classic.

Strongly agree on all counts. As a father of three, I use that little Phillips screwdriver on the kids' toys and games all the time. And as I father of three, I'll also been known to pry the cap off a beer or three. :D Love the Rambler. :thumbup:

Count me in that Clan as well - I"ve carried a Classic for over 40 years (not the same one) and gave each of my kids one when they got their drivers license I even gutted and skinned a deer with my classic- the best part about it is that it is always there- but the pics shown look like new knives to me- or at least, little used!
Peace Revvie

I have always had classics. Been carrying one the last few days. Given to me by a friend who passed away, it was an advertising knife for his company. Don't see contemporary advertising knives much anymore.

My girlfriend carries her Classic I have her literally every day.

Chuck Norris's Micra went out looking for weaker knives.

Oh oh... It has one in a head lock.

Untitled by Pinnah, on Flickr

But this is just a set up for the classic Chuck Norris round-house kick. This never ends well.

Micra's boot on the throat. This fight is over.

For a while I have been carrying an Alox Rambler which I really like. Recently my wife and I have switched cars and instead of swapping my rambler over I have just kept on with the stay glow classic I got for her a while back. I have had classics for a loooooong time and it's kinda nice to be back carrying one. Paired with my new pico widgy bar it makes a nice useful keychain edc. :thumbup:image by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

IS THE CLAN DYING? I just pulled this thread up randomly today as I threw my classic in my pocket and realized that not only was I the last to post, but that's it's been exactly ONE YEAR since that last post. Don't let the Clan die!! Post them up and share your love!image by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

Here's my clan member with it's two wallet companions.
25322635661_415db67a3a_c.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Still in day to day service!

hoho...never posted on this thread, now's the time! I'll share my pics

CAM01649_zps43rbcqja.jpg

I have some Classics, most beat up and some pristine for gifts and giving away

20150822_114350_zpspym7dbcy.jpg

Engraved, Alox, plain and simple...many colors and flavors to pick

IMG_20160404_212023_847_zpsig2plnui.jpg

CAM03854_zpsycxsl6js.jpg

They are excellent stuff, and an absolute non-knife person option to give and maybe convert somebody to the knife-nutterism

20151209_154803_zpsoqctsfwy.jpg

Been carrying one most of my life

20150705_093238_zpsfw0xvihs.jpg

CAM03818_zps5f6n6dnm.jpg

Lookin good! Is that a rambler in the last photo? How do you like it in comparison to the classic?
hoho...never posted on this thread, now's the time! I'll share my pics

CAM01649_zps43rbcqja.jpg

I have some Classics, most beat up and some pristine for gifts and giving away

20150822_114350_zpspym7dbcy.jpg

Engraved, Alox, plain and simple...many colors and flavors to pick

IMG_20160404_212023_847_zpsig2plnui.jpg

CAM03854_zpsycxsl6js.jpg

They are excellent stuff, and an absolute non-knife person option to give and maybe convert somebody to the knife-nutterism

20151209_154803_zpsoqctsfwy.jpg

Been carrying one most of my life

20150705_093238_zpsfw0xvihs.jpg

CAM03818_zps5f6n6dnm.jpg

Glad to see some fresh love for the Classic.
My lil black Classic rides in my pocket with a Cadet every single day. My lil pal.

Cheers!

Sadly, the second member of the clan, (I has the second post), has become apostate for over a year now. Perhaps I should remedy the situation by getting another Classic for my keychain. When I have some money to just spend for the heck of it, I may have to regain my membership.

Back