Classy, yet tank of a folder? Help needed! TSF, Dua, Slysz Bowie, Techno, or???

Hey guys,

I'm really struggling with my next purchase and there's no other place than BF to get this sorted out.

What I'm looking for -

A) Sharp, relatively classy looks - Preferably all Ti, but open to suggestions.
B) Lock type - No real preference, but I do like the "tank" type knives
C) Would prefer that it run on washers - I'd like to avoid bearings although I realize that most of the concerns surrounding bearings are probably unnecessary
D) Blade length - Probably no longer than 3.5"

Use will be general EDC, but I want this thing to be able to take a beating if need be.

As much as I respect the Sebenza, it's just not for me.

TSF Beast, Grayman Dua, Slysz Bowie and the Techno are what I've tentatively narrowed the search down. I'd like to hear opinions on these 4, but also would love to hear other suggestions. That's what BF is for!

Edit: No flippers please.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Out of these I'd give a hearty endorsement to Slysz. It's great, and classy, AND it hides away in any kind of pocket very unobtrusively.

Other options might be a ZT 0808 or a Benchmade 940-1. The Viper Fortis is worth checking out too. Very slim and elegant, but the blade is a tank that slices!

If you have a healthy budget a Karroll Fatty is a tank of a knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Lionsteel SR-1 looks like it might fit your criteria. One-piece handle with integral frame lock. Heavy duty build.

Lots of choices, too. You can get titanium or aluminum grips in a variety of colors. Blades are plain, coated, or Damascus steel. And the Damascus is available raindrop or lizard skin patterns.

lionsteel-sr1-integral-titanium-folding-knife-bronze-anodize-9.jpg

lionsteel-sr1-integral-titanium-handle-folding-knife-blasted-7.jpg

additional-view-9119.jpg

5673498097_d178c1c91e_o.jpg

SR1-B_17.jpg

Well, Medford and Strider are the tank knives. I don't care for Medford myself and am not familiar with their models, but the Strider SnG is certainly in line with what you're looking for.

Maybe I should've said stout rather than "tank". I want it to be able to take a beating, but also be functional as an EDC. Absolutely no offense to their owners, but Medford knives kind of make me laugh every time I see them.

I was going to mention the BM 940 or the sage series, particularly the sage 2 since you mention ti but sage 5 possibly as well simply because of the compression lock's rep for being quite strong.

I think kizer has a few knives in that category as it seems like they hit the ti, over 3" market pretty hard (many are flippers but not all). Their bladesmith series are particularly appealing. They are made in China, in case that's a problem, and I think many are on bearings.

I really like some of the fluted ti offerings from spyderco, the delica and native for sure. The ti native might be perfect as I think the ti scales add a lot of class to the look and the native is known to be a great hard use EDC knife if you like choils.

Maybe I should've said stout rather than "tank". I want it to be able to take a beating, but also be functional as an EDC. Absolutely no offense to their owners, but Medford knives kind of make me laugh every time I see them.

That's kind of the way I feel about them too, to be honest, but those and Strider are the first thing to come to mind when someone says 'tank folder'...

The Strider SnG, especially the CC version, is actually surprisingly ergonomic. The blades are very thick, but the scales are fairly thin.

The Dua is a pretty good fit for what you are looking for. It's solid and not too flashy and is an ok value if you can get one used. The blade action is great although the blade itself is a bit thick. I had mine professionally reground because the original sharpening and edge geometry weren't very effective for cutting. After the regrind it was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"TSF Beast, Grayman Dua, Slysz Bowie and the Techno are what I've tentatively narrowed the search down. I'd like to hear opinions on these 4..."

I have owned four TSF's, a grey and an orange DUA, one Slysz Bowie and perhaps 12 Technos.

The TSF is nice, and owner/maker Jim Allen is a GREAT guy. He makes an excellent product. I've owned them in CPM-154, M390. He will do anything to keep the customer happy.
The DUA's are nice knives, but the position of the choil makes it VERY difficult (for me) to hold the knife comfortably. You never know which finger (index or middle) is supposed to fit into the choil. The location of the pivot in his knife has restricted the finger choil position, IIRC.
I've owned many TECHNOS. I just gave my son one, as a choice of many fine folders and he picked the Techno. Great choice; fine CTS-XHP bladesteel. Note that this model has also been produced in S30V, but my steel choice is the CTS-XHP.
I've owned ONE Slysz Bowie. This is a SUPERB folder and is my pick of the knives shown. It has a fine blade-steel (CTS-XHP) and is a wicked slicer due to an excellent grind.

I didn't care for the DUA after I used it. The TSF is fine, but is too heavy-duty for my casual needs.
The Techno is a sweet knife; well capable of heavy-duty but in a small package.

The Slysz Bowie takes all of the honors here...IMO. It's large enough to fit my large hand very nicely, heavy-duty capable, has a great blade design and blade thickness...and gets the Blue Ribbon. The grip thickness is just right; the closed length is fine; the weight is perfect (for me) at 4.25 ounces. This is one of the finest knives ever produced by Spyderco, IMO...
YMMV

Last edited:
Everything about the Bowie sounds great. I just wonder if there are custom/midtechs in the same range that out perform it. Judging from most of the chatter, it sounds like that may be hard to do. Hell, it sounds like a lot of people prefer their Slysz Bowie over a CRK.

The ones you are looking at I can not give you much feedback on but to tell you I rarely ever hear anything negative about any of them. The suggestions so far are solid so no problem with any of them either. The no flipper puts a kink in the chain. I would suggest the Spartan Blades Harsey Folder but think it is a little bigger than you might be looking for!

Indeed, the Slysz Bowie, along with the Gayle Bradley 1, are my all time favorite Spyderco's.

Classy tank screams Olamic Cutlery to me.

Olamic-Wayfarer-247-Ti-Bronze-SW-BHQ-51599-jr.jpg

Spyderco Gayle Bradley gets my vote. I've heard great things about the Slysz as well, but I have no personal experience with it.

Back