Cleaning up some balisongs, need advice!

Hey guys, so I have two balisongs that i'd like to clean up if possible. I'd like to know if there is anything I could use that would be super safe on them for cleaning off some (possible) minor pitting, dirt, and grime.

The first is a BM51 Morpho. It has some spots of, what appear to be, minor pitting on the blade (or maybe could just use a good shine.)

The second knife is a Spyderco Rainbow Spyderfly that appears to have some pitting and dirt on the handles. I'm worried about touching anything to this knife at all due to the rainbow anodizing finish on it.

Does anyone have some super safe suggestions for cleaning my babies up? Otherwise I'll just leave them be. It's not worth the risk.

I tried taking pictures of both knives but it's extremely to see what i'm talking about in the pictures.

Thanks!

Dish soap and water. Then soak with wd40 to get rid of the water. Then rubbing alcohol to get rid of the wd40. Then see what you got.

Pitting is corrosion (unless induced by an arc). Cleaning will not resolve pitting. In fact, the use of certain chemicals can exacerbate the condition. While I often recommend isopropyl alcohol, Simple Green and food-safe CLPs for safe cleaning, what I actually use at home for light to medium-duty cleaning and degreasing (including knives) is 70-80 psi of dry vapor steam. Zero addition of solvents of any kind, any residual moisture evaporates quickly. I am seriously considering a Dupray Steam Box for heavier duty work, but that is a topic for another time..

Ladybug.TEKNO.2350.jpg

Last edited:
Dish soap and water. Then soak with wd40 to get rid of the water. Then rubbing alcohol to get rid of the wd40. Then see what you got.

Why do you feel the need to get rid of WD-40? The only thing left behind after the Stoddard Solvent evaporates is mineral oil. If you wipe off the excess, all that remains is a nice protective layer to help protect against more rust.

Why do you feel the need to get rid of WD-40? The only thing left behind after the Stoddard Solvent evaporates is mineral oil. If you wipe off the excess, all that remains is a nice protective layer to help protect against more rust.
To get it squeaky clean for inspection, pitting, stains, corrosion, etc.
It was just a 1st step suggestion. There might be more to do, might not.

To get it squeaky clean for inspection, pitting, stains, corrosion, etc.
It was just a 1st step suggestion. There might be more to do, might not.

How about, in that case, simply use Stoddard Solvent rather than WD-40 to displace the water? That evaporates without residue, and reduces the number of steps. You can buy it in any art supply shop.

Back