Coffee

Monofletch

Basic Member
I am a coffee nut. I am always looking for something new too try. I figured since we all have such good taste for knives that would carry over to coffee!!!
What are some of your favorite brands/roasts? What do you recommend??

I prefer med-dark roast. I can handle any Sumatra (my favorite) as long as it isn't over roasted like most store bought darks. I like Starbucks Pike's Place roast--Caribou Sumatra--Mississippi MUD dark--and a small St.Louis roaster Thomas Coffee when nothing else is on sale. I know there are a lot of others that I am missing out on. What is a local buy for you that I might not be able to get?

Please list your favorites so I can buy more!!!! :D

Maybe we can get a little "coffee swap" going!!!! HINT HINT!!! :thumbup:

The exchange list.....

Monofletch
Orchunter93

Last edited:
A few friends had told me how much they liked Tim Horton's regular roast. In my mind I am wondering what the deal was until I got a chance to try it. Really good stuff, changed my preconceived ideas of ground canned coffee.

I am a coffee addict, ill drink nearly any coffee, but needs creamer and sugar...

I love the maxim instant crap because I can brew some at work easily, work coffee is NASTY.

Caffeine is one of my vices. I drink it with nothing added, so it has to be good coffee. (Any swill will do if drunk with cream and sugar.) I don't care for dark roasts, so I steer clear of Starbucks.

For the last 5 or so years I have bought unground Sumatra regular roast from coffeebeandirect, an online outfit which specializes in shipping various varieties and blends. I get together with four fellow caffeine aficionados from work. We each buy 5 pounds of individual favorites. A 25 pound order qualifies for free shipping. Five pounds will last me about a month and a half.

I use a Melita cone filter and grind the beans while I am boiling water. Simple system. A bit time consuming in the morning, but it makes superlative coffee. I prefer this to anything else I have ever tasted.

Trader Joes usually has decent coffee at a decent price.

African coffees are good. Kenya AA and Tanzanian Peaberry are very flavorful.

I avoid South American coffees. They tend to be more acidic, and with a less complete flavor.

Caffeine is one of my vices. I drink it with nothing added, so it has to be good coffee. (Any swill will do if drunk with cream and sugar.) I don't care for dark roasts, so I steer clear of Starbucks.

Me too, but I will drink the swill if it's the only thing available.
Anderson's Coffee in Austin, TX sells some fine stuff. You can smell it from the sidewalk outside. Years of coffee grinding over old wooden floors- the coffee oils are soaked in.

I mix 5 parts of Maxwell House Original with 2 parts of burr ground Hazelnut. I call it "hint of Hazelnut". Pure Hazelnut is too cloying IMHO. I make it in a Farberware 8C. electric percolator using 4-1oz. scoops of blend, adding water to the base of the conical (basket support) spring. I also place a 3" diameter paper filter in the bottom of the basket to preclude mud. I plug my percolator into a GE "Spacesaver clock radio" which percolates the coffee and shuts it off 1/2 hr. before I need to drink it in the AM.
I have gotten many compliments on this coffee, but my main concern is that I never get tired of drinking it.

I am a coffee nut. I am always looking for something new too try. I figured since we all have such good taste for knives that would carry over to coffee!!! :thumbup:

Hey there Monofletch, Glad to see a post by a coffee lover about coffee!

What do you use to brew your coffee? Do you grind your own beans?

I love my coffee (perhaps a little too much) I make regular drip coffee about 3x a week and the rest of the time I'm brewing espresso....

Community Coffee for me, almost exclusively. They have a few dark roasts to choose from. :thumbup:

IMHO The (good) water is as important as the coffee. What it is served in can and will, ruin the experience. Brewed coffee isn't wine, age only makes it worse. Drink it black, who puts ketchup on a ribeye.

My regular is a dark roast espresso- brand is irrelevant as I am not in the USA.
I get the beans and do a fine grind, then into a little Moccha espresso pot. Damn fine stuff.

For a little excitement, try the Sumatran Kopi Luwak coffee, also good, but not for every day- ignore all the comments about crap coffee, it is good.

I love coffee so much that I start thinking about the morning cup of Joe before bed :eek: . Here's my formula: I get a brand of coffee called "Smart World Coffee", which is sold at the local Whole Foods here in NJ. Favorite blends from that company are: Grumpy Monkey and something called Rocket Blend or some other name. I use the Aero Press coffee system (like $25 on Amazon), best coffee system ever. Anyway, it works for us.

Hey there Monofletch, Glad to see a post by a coffee lover about coffee!

What do you use to brew your coffee? Do you grind your own beans?

I love my coffee (perhaps a little too much) I make regular drip coffee about 3x a week and the rest of the time I'm brewing espresso....
Yes, I do grind my own beans. I brew with a Delongi system. I use Aquarain filtered water :D
I was buying custom roasts from Madbeancoffee.com- best coffee I ever had, but I think he's done.

+1 on African coffees Ethiopian yrgachef is my favorite for a sweeter fruitier bean. For darker roasts the south american beans work great for me as does mexico.

For regular store bought I often mix cafe bustelo with Starbucks medium roast.

Back