Coffee

I hope I can make it home! Modot is closing highways due to flooding. Yay!
My new TI Military......
IMAG1776.jpg

Is it time for another coffee swap?

Add me please. When are you thinking of doing this?

Been using the Clever Dripper for the last few days and so far I like it. It gives you the immersion and adjustable brew time of a french press. At the same time it's easy to clean and doesn't let any grounds through like using a regular filter cone. I got the large version and it holds enough to fill a large mug or a regular sized travel tumbler.

I have one of the earliest CCD's, bought from the first lot Sweet Maria's got back what seems like eons ago. It's my go-to travel coffee maker, and I prefer it to the Aeropress for a number of reasons. Paired with my Hario Skerton hand grinder, I travel in style! :cool: :D

It's perfect for a single large mug, or, if loaded with extra coffee and re-filled with more water after letting the first fill drip through, a 16oz. Thermos. I usually do the latter into a flip-top vacuum-insulated Thermos bottle, which keeps the coffee hot for hours if necessary. ;) :thumbsup:

So I went ahead and bought the Hario Mizudashi cold brew pot a little while after my post about it in this thread a month or so ago. I'm still not 100% sold on the brew method.

I've tried a number of different brew recipes, and they all seem to yield a pretty similar, only so-so result to me. At almost double the amount of ground coffee required for a similarly strong drink as compared to regular brewing methods, and with most of the origin nuances of a particular coffee lost, about the only advantage I see to cold brew is the convenience of having coffee ready to go at the drop of a hat. Otherwise, I'm just not sold. I'll give it a few more chances, but so far, it's just not for me. Will be a nice change of pace in the hot summer months, but I don't really see myself drinking it much otherwise. Oh well. :rolleyes:

Add me please. When are you thinking of doing this?

I have one of the earliest CCD's, bought from the first lot Sweet Maria's got back what seems like eons ago. It's my go-to travel coffee maker, and I prefer it to the Aeropress for a number of reasons. Paired with my Hario Skerton hand grinder, I travel in style! :cool: :D

It's perfect for a single large mug, or, if loaded with extra coffee and re-filled with more water after letting the first fill drip through, a 16oz. Thermos. I usually do the latter into a flip-top vacuum-insulated Thermos bottle, which keeps the coffee hot for hours if necessary. ;) :thumbsup:

I've seen people mention that they are good for travel. What do you use to heat the water on the road?

I've posted these pics here before, but when I want a thermos or carafe full I have a large filter cone that uses #6 filters. Instead of being flat on the bottom, it has a spout that fits into the smaller opening on a thermos.

That's a 2 qt carafe in the photos and for size reference the Vantage Pro in the bottom pic is 7 5/8" in length.

I'm not in any hurry either, so just let me know when you guys are ready to do a swap. Getting ready to go outside and roast some Flores Wongawali tonight.

Dan, I have that same HUGE filter cone too! (Among SO much other coffee gear, it's kinda sad... :oops:) It's bigger than I like for work travel though. Use it sometimes when car camping, and heat the water in a tea kettle over a propane burner, and brew into our 2L Technivorm carafe (I don't care for the 'Vorm carafe for a few reasons, so we replaced it with a MUCH better Thermos version).

For my CCD, I invested in a cheap 2C plastic measuring cup from either Target or Wally World (BPA-free, of course... :rolleyes:) that I also take along, then heat the water in a microwave oven somewhere (either at the NASA facility where I'm usually working, or in my hotel room). I usually also take some espresso gear with me if I'm headed to NASA Ames in CA, as they have a Rancilio Silvia in the break room (!!! :cool:), so I take my own baskets and bottomless portafilter. So I have a whole section of one suitcase dedicated to coffee stuff, LOL! :eek:

Believe me....I understand. My last job was on an Abrams tank. You know I was just poking at you!!

Hey all long time no see, hope you guys been faring wel, away from coffee lately but back, count me in for the swap & Mono I didn't know you were a tanker.. I was too, UP!

That is awesome. 1990-1997

We can do it whenever. I would like to get more people involved!

Monofletch
Polynikes01
DannyP
SpyderPhreak
Gotsteel

I miss my plow. We also field tested the turret coffee pots! It fit in the m8 alarm mount.

I say we get moving on this coffee swap 2.0
Any suggestions for rules. Want to make it simple? 1 bag of beans? Any other rules- we can change it up too. Maybe toss in your favorite candy or a used inexpensive blade. Maybe any usefull everyday mystery item. Let me know and we will get this going!!

The list so far.......
Monofletch
Polynikes01
DannyP
SpyderPhreak
Gotsteel

+1 for the used inexpensive knife
This is blade forums after all.
Though I think maybe we should define "inexpensive"?

Back