Cold Steel - If you read anything on this forum...please respond.

I know this is probably a silly thread, with no hope. But i wanted to post it anyway, do you think it's possible if we were consistent and loud enough about this as a group, Cold Steel might listen to us and grant a small request? I don't now about the majority, but myself along with every single other person i know that loves CS knives has agreed with me when i've asked - Can we PLEASE get a non-coated version of the Recon and American Lawman series.

I honestly think if enough of us express our want for this then they might respond. The coated versions are still great knives (i own all of them), but seriously how nice would it be to have a Stonewashed or Satin version of either? It would be so so simple, just produce the knife as per usual but just leave the DLC process out, it would no doubt save on costs, plus i'd still happily pay full price for what the DLC version costs. Previous AUS8 models had a gorgeous stonewash under that flaky old black paint. Please Cold Steel, I know im not alone in wanting an un-coated spear point Recon 1, or a Stonewashed American Lawman. I was absolutely gutted when all there was in the 2017 lineup of Recons was a handle color change.

They would sell so well. Would be awesome if others could express their want for this also and we might just have a chance? Am i alone on this?

Cheers

Last edited:
I would also like a stonewashed or satin version of the Lawman . I already believe the Lawman is one of the very best edc knives on the market today. The uncoated version, when marketed to people who don t realize what a gem it is, would be very popular. Very, very popular!
Personally ,I would also get an uncoated Recon 1.
Food for thought.

I don't have any particular interest in those two models, but I'll always voice my support for an uncoated option.

Take the DLC off of the Recon 1s and put it on the O1 Trail Master and Recon Scout. I'll then die happy. That O1 infuriates me to no end. Is the main use for O1 the production of rust? Is the world having an oxide shortage? O1 could fix that problem for sure! I do use my AUS8A Recon 1 with the stripped blade and lock on the weekends still, you almost can't make it look bad. A scratch isn't noticeable the way the finish looks. DLC for "tactical" or "super ruster" fixed blades in O1, stonewash for folders!

To be fair there are a lot of new 2017 models that are uncoated. Just saying.

Take the DLC off of the Recon 1s and put it on the O1 Trail Master and Recon Scout. I'll then die happy. That O1 infuriates me to no end. Is the main use for O1 the production of rust? Is the world having an oxide shortage? O1 could fix that problem for sure! I do use my AUS8A Recon 1 with the stripped blade and lock on the weekends still, you almost can't make it look bad. A scratch isn't noticeable the way the finish looks. DLC for "tactical" or "super ruster" fixed blades in O1, stonewash for folders!

^yep pretty much this.

i'll add on the recons and other larger fixed blades....... get rid of that crap secure x sheath. i'd rather than a cordura or cheap leather anything over that horrible secure x sheath. if that can't be done than sell a separate sheath on the itsspecpro site so we can get a sheath that doesn't scratch and dull the hell out of the knives and make it much easier to sheath and unsheath when in the swamps and on awkward footing while in the jungle and use in the real world. thanks.

I removed the coating from an American Lawman AUS8 version, it looked much better in my opinion.

XHP Stonewashed + Coyote Handles Lawman. It would be my choice. I would buy TWO hehehe.

XHP Stonewashed Recon 1 Spear Point it would be great too.

I like the DLC. It not only protects against corrosion (admittedly, not a big factor with highly rust-resistant CTS-XHP), but it makes the blade more slippery, hence a better cutter and doesn't gunk up like un-coated steels. It is extremely hard, as well, my Lawman and Recon 1 show hardly a scratch after a fair amount of use. As for aesthetics, I like the look. Just my 2 cents.:D

I'm perfectly fine with the coated blades, but I can't see any good reason not to offer an uncoated one.

Not really a deal breaker. They sell so much stuff they prolly want to streamline it a bit. Then you have the mini lovers, tip up tip down wish they had this or that steel and so on. You have to remember it's a tactical oriented company serving mall ninjas, law enforcement, military and badasses.

My only coated products from cold steel are machetes/tomahawks, and a couple AUS8, XL Recon1s that I got before they were completely sold out. I have removed the coating on the machetes that I actually use. I would love an uncoated Lawman, a blue, and green uncoated Broken Skulls.

Back