Colonial Knife Co Providence R.I.

I never heard of a maker using such a range of steels. But I'm not much of a steel sophisticate either.

I toy with the idea of taking that white Anvil apart and ditching the small blade and spring, but I'd be saving myself about 1/16" of bulk, and I'd have to find the right place to drill through the faux bolsters. Not worth it.

Thanks for that B. Mauser :) so I'm assuming that means the bulk of the cheap Colonials we can pick up here and there will be 1055 carbon steel then. But now that you've given me this info, you've doomed me to a fate of searching out Anvil and Cutler blades so I can compare them! Really great info though. Thanks!

I also have another one coming but will get pics when I can. Does anybody know about the Providence RI knife companies? Like we're there a dozen of them, or just 1 contracting to Imperial, Colonial, Camco, etc?

You're welcome. Colonial had a great heat treat that was a factor as well. At least the fate you are doomed to wont hurt your bank account too bad. :D

Keep us updated with your new finds.

There were many knife company's in Providence over the years. Providence had a big jewelry district and was a major center for jewelry production. There was a big demand for knife skeletons that would be fixed up all fancy with jewels and/or engraving. They would be sold as watch fobs or in a set with a matching watch.

The four big Providence company's I know of were Colonial, Imperial, Providence Cutlery Co and The Ideal Knife Co. They all manufactured the majority of their own knives but there were some deals made to contract knives between Company's sometimes. The only ones I would be familiar with would be Colonials.

Colonial had an Old Cutler Trapper made by Camillus. Ive posted a few somewhere in this thread. Colonial also had a contract to make a line of knives for Case once. The made knives for Smokey mountain knife works, blue ridge knives, Colonel Coon and so many others.

Something else interesting is Camillus came up with the Camco line to compete with Colonials cheap knives. Cheap imports were not around yet and Colonial was the cheapest. A Camillus knife was $4 and Colonial had $1 knives. So Camillus used the same high quality blades and springs but used cheaper handles and didn't use any extras like shields or bails.

Last edited:
I never heard of a maker using such a range of steels. But I'm not much of a steel sophisticate either.

I toy with the idea of taking that white Anvil apart and ditching the small blade and spring, but I'd be saving myself about 1/16" of bulk, and I'd have to find the right place to drill through the faux bolsters. Not worth it.

I guess being such a large manufacturer of knives and having many models made it necessary and possible.

Colonial didn't advertise the specific steel used often. The were happy to tell you the Old Cutlers and RAP Cutlers were 1095 and Ranger was 1075 but that was it. Everything else was listed as carbon steel or stainless steel.

It wasn't until they were out of business that I found out what the other steels were from Robert Paolantonio.

One interesting thing about Colonial and their stainless.When they advertised a knife as stainless steel it was 420. When they advertised it as surgical stainless steel it was 440.

I think a large single blade Anvil knife would be pretty cool. But that does sound like its probably more trouble than its worth.

And those pins are very impressively peened. (I have a stockman missing a bolster and the pin has a huge flat mushroom of a head that might make it stronger than many knives with real bolsters.)
Another thought is to take the sheepfoot out of the stockman and use it to replace the annoying blade on the jack.

Last edited:
Colonial%2520Red%2520Scout%2520Open.JPG

Colonial%2520Red%2520Scout%2520Closed.JPG

Hi Leghog

Nice Swiss Master. Looks like the same models as mine. The shield is different though. Must be an advertising knife.
I doubt is was an advertising knife as there was absolute no remnant and no indication of any advertising. I picked it up because of the odd shield.

That rare variant is probably worth millions! Not like my rare blade variant. But seriously, I can't make it out- is it the ghost of a Maltese cross?

Here's a story of unappreciated knives.

Some years back, when my mother was coming to visit me, she told me that she had found my old knives in a box and would bring them with her. I suspected that she had found my old Kutmaster Girl Scout knife. (since replaced by a generous gift from Jsega51) I must confess I was disappointed when she brought these two Forrest Masters, one in carbon and one stainless. I don't know if they belonged to my brothers or myself, but I have a vague memory of them living in the junk drawer in the kitchen along with the bottle openers and string and twisty-tie thingies. I thought "Meh." and threw them in my own junk drawer.

After seeing 5K-Qs carrying his Forrest Master, and finally discovering this thread, I pulled them out of the drawer to take another look. They're in good shape for being 50 years old or so. I'll just clean off the rust and old tape-glue. I really should ask my brothers if they remember these knives and would want them. If they're not interested, I may carry them myself from time to time. :)

Some years back, when my mother was coming to visit me, she told me that she had found my old knives in a box and would bring them with her. I suspected that she had found my old Kutmaster Girl Scout knife. (since replaced by a generous gift from Jsega51) I must confess I was disappointed when she brought these two Forrest Masters, one in carbon and one stainless. I don't know if they belonged to my brothers or myself, but I have a vague memory of them living in the junk drawer in the kitchen along with the bottle openers and string and twisty-tie thingies. I thought "Meh." and threw them in my own junk drawer.

After seeing 5K-Qs carrying his Forrest Master, and finally discovering this thread, I pulled them out of the drawer to take another look. They're in good shape for being 50 years old or so. I'll just clean off the rust and old tape-glue. I really should ask my brothers if they remember these knives and would want them. If they're not interested, I may carry them myself from time to time. :)

Those look like they'd be very serviceable, r8shell!! :thumbup: I recommend you use 'em like rented mules! :D

I certainly enjoy using my Forest-Master, but it might be a slightly different situation because it's my very first knife, I used it a TON when I was a kid on the farm, and even though I stopped carrying it in 1969, it was always in my desk through about a dozen different residences over 45 years. I've found that even though I didn't use it much at all for decades, it's still just familiar and comfortable in my hand compared to most knives I've acquired in the past 3 years since rekindling my knife interest. It's also one of the few knives I have that I'm confident that I can sharpen well enough for everyday use. Obligatory photo of what may well still be my favorite knife:
EfqitoW.jpg

- GT

I doubt is was an advertising knife as there was absolute no remnant and no indication of any advertising. I picked it up because of the odd shield.

Thanks for the better picture. That is very interesting. I have never seen a round one with the old cross. Nice find for sure. :thumbup:

Hi r8shell. Its great to have you here. I am happy you found us. :)

Thanks for the pictures and the fun story. I can see how these would be disappointing when you are hoping for your old Girl Scout knife.

Its nice of you to ask your brothers about them. If they remember them I can see how you would want them to have the knives.

But if not.....Score! The stainless one looks like it wouldn't take long to get it ready to carry. :thumbup:

636aa01f05b77002c32653962b58d339.jpg
28eeb7ae80c6400fa923c6bc681daa6b.jpg

I came across this awhile back, the stamp is barely legible but it is a Colonial. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And those pins are very impressively peened. (I have a stockman missing a bolster and the pin has a huge flat mushroom of a head that might make it stronger than many knives with real bolsters.)
Another thought is to take the sheepfoot out of the stockman and use it to replace the annoying blade on the jack.

I know exactly what you are talking about. The pin is actually a tubular rivet on these with the press on bolsters. Here is a picture that shows you both sides. :thumbup:

5020ea21-9bc7-46c4-9c4d-d4a0fb2c8067_zpswgl1oqxl.jpg

b21e7c68-1e19-47ac-b9e2-00370c1ce130_zps9lpipbwi.jpg

636aa01f05b77002c32653962b58d339.jpg
28eeb7ae80c6400fa923c6bc681daa6b.jpg

I came across this awhile back, the stamp is barely legible but it is a Colonial. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Hi sgiacoppo. Welcome.

I dont have much information on this one. I have never been able to find an advertisement or one in original packaging so I dont know the model number or Colonials name for this.

The Prov USA tang stamp tells me yours was made in the 60's or 70's.

The most common names for this kind of knife are fish tail jack and cross bar jack. Some also call it a stiletto.

Colonial had a switchblade version of this knife until they were made illegal in the 1950s. It was called the shur snap.

Here are a few pictures of my Colonial fish tail jacks.

A fish tail jack with the same Prov USA stamp as above.

Colonial%20fishtail%201_zpszvjf5yjt.jpg

Colonial%20fishtail%20all%201_zpslnnjcrnv.jpg

These little ones all have the Prov RI tang stamp. They were made in the 1950's.

Colonial%20fishtail%20small%201_zpsfauhp5nq.jpg

Colonial%20fishtail%20small%202_zps95h89ka8.jpg

Hi sgiacoppo. Welcome.

I dont have much information on this one. I have never been able to find an advertisement or one in original packaging so I dont know the model number or Colonials name for this.

The Prov USA tang stamp tells me yours was made in the 60's or 70's.

The most common names for this kind of knife are fish tail jack and cross bar jack. Some also call it a stiletto.

Colonial had a switchblade version of this knife until they were made illegal in the 1950s. It was called the shur snap.

Here are a few pictures of my Colonial fish tail jacks.

A fish tail jack with the same Prov USA stamp as above.

Colonial%20fishtail%201_zpszvjf5yjt.jpg

Colonial%20fishtail%20all%201_zpslnnjcrnv.jpg

These little ones all have the Prov RI tang stamp. They were made in the 1950's.

Colonial%20fishtail%20small%201_zpsfauhp5nq.jpg

Colonial%20fishtail%20small%202_zps95h89ka8.jpg

Thanks! Your collection is pretty impressive. As a newbie it gives me something to inspire to!

Here is something I have been trying to get a good picture of for quite a while. I still haven't got a good one. But I'm giving up and posting this one. :D

This is Colonials CY 100 Master Brand cabinet. These were made and used in the 60's and 70s. It originally had a felt display in the front displaying 12 knives. The inside was where the knives for sale were stored. I think we all know how that works.

Rather than restoring it to hold the original knives I am just going to store and display some of my collection in it. I like seeing them in here.

Colonial%20Display%201_zpsbewz1fol.jpg

This shows the knives that were sold in the CY100 cabinet.

Colonial%20CY%20100%20shells%202_zpsij5dzqz0.jpg

I know exactly what you are talking about. The pin is actually a tubular rivet on these with the press on bolsters. Here is a picture that shows you both sides. :thumbup:

5020ea21-9bc7-46c4-9c4d-d4a0fb2c8067_zpswgl1oqxl.jpg

b21e7c68-1e19-47ac-b9e2-00370c1ce130_zps9lpipbwi.jpg
Thanks, B.Mauser. Your reply just recently registered in my brain. The other side of the tube is much less impressive, and I may have to start fooling with my Anvils after all.

Back