Colonial Knife Co Providence R.I.

Here is something I have been trying to get a good picture of for quite a while. I still haven't got a good one. But I'm giving up and posting this one. :D

This is Colonials CY 100 Master Brand cabinet. These were made and used in the 60's and 70s. It originally had a felt display in the front displaying 12 knives. The inside was where the knives for sale were stored. I think we all know how that works.

Rather than restoring it to hold the original knives I am just going to store and display some of my collection in it. I like seeing them in here.

Colonial%20Display%201_zpsbewz1fol.jpg

This shows the knives that were sold in the CY100 cabinet.

Colonial%20CY%20100%20shells%202_zpsij5dzqz0.jpg
Many thanks for this thread, B. Mauser! I have long enjoyed Colonial products also since carrying a 1200 Forest Master as a youngster, when it was all I could get, and your posts here and elsewhere are very informative. I have been quite impressed with Colonial's current 2205 all stainless scout knife, which I carry more often than a lot of my high end stuff. It is nice to use a knife that is connected to my old Forest Master. When I ordered the 2205 I sent an e-mail about my old Forest Master missing its bail, and they sent a replacement bail they had in storage. Nice folks. It was nice to finally replace the bail after all these years and have the Forest Master of my youth "restored." Great to have your research on these often underappreciated classics!

Many thanks for this thread, B. Mauser! I have long enjoyed Colonial products also since carrying a 1200 Forest Master as a youngster, when it was all I could get, and your posts here and elsewhere are very informative. I have been quite impressed with Colonial's current 2205 all stainless scout knife, which I carry more often than a lot of my high end stuff. It is nice to use a knife that is connected to my old Forest Master. When I ordered the 2205 I sent an e-mail about my old Forest Master missing its bail, and they sent a replacement bail they had in storage. Nice folks. It was nice to finally replace the bail after all these years and have the Forest Master of my youth "restored." Great to have your research on these often underappreciated classics!

Hi Bartleby. Nice to meet you.

You're welcome! I'm happy you enjoy this thread. Underappreciated classics is a great way to describe them. Its so great to have everyone here to discuss these with. I am enjoying this thread a great deal also.

I love to hear about other people that still have a Colonial that survived their youth. That is really interesting that they had a Forest Master bail for you at Colonial. When the Paolantonio family says lifetime warranty they really do their best to stand behind it. Wonderful.

I've got a lot of replacement bails from eBay. I am the one that buys all the broken and way over sharpened Colonials, especially Forest Masters. As long as it has a bail for me to recover.

That 2205 sounds like a nice one. :thumbsup: I wish one of the Camillus versions that I had as a kid had survived.

Brian

Thanks, B.Mauser. Your reply just recently registered in my brain. The other side of the tube is much less impressive, and I may have to start fooling with my Anvils after all.

You're welcome Jer! Sounds like a fun project to me. I would definitely be interested to see what you come up with if you decide to give it a go.

Brian

Hi Bartleby. Nice to meet you.

You're welcome! I'm happy you enjoy this thread. Underappreciated classics is a great way to describe them. Its so great to have everyone here to discuss these with. I am enjoying this thread a great deal also.

I love to hear about other people that still have a Colonial that survived their youth. That is really interesting that they had a Forest Master bail for you at Colonial. When the Paolantonio family says lifetime warranty they really do their best to stand behind it. Wonderful.

I've got a lot of replacement bails from eBay. I am the one that buys all the broken and way over sharpened Colonials, especially Forest Masters. As long as it has a bail for me to recover.

That 2205 sounds like a nice one. :thumbsup: I wish one of the Camillus versions that I had as a kid had survived.

Brian
I carried a 1982 Camillus a lot when I was a younger guy, I really like the Colonial 2205 a bit more. I think that my preference is partially from its ergonomics (the beveled edges of the handle are not as blocky/sharp feeling), and part from sentiment, it being a Colonial.

I haven't posted in a while because I haven't added to my boxes. But here are a couple I picked up and cleaned up. They were only in good shape.

I haven't posted in a while because I haven't added to my boxes. But here are a couple I picked up and cleaned up. They were only in good shape.

Hi Ed. Nice to see you.

Thanks for sharing your new finds. Very cool. Nice pictures too, very clear.

Those are going to fit right in your box. :thumbsup:

I went to Rhode Island Antiques Mall right on the side of I95 a few months ago and saw a box with about a dozen Colonials in it for sale. Has anyone one this forum been there?

I went to Rhode Island Antiques Mall right on the side of I95 a few months ago and saw a box with about a dozen Colonials in it for sale. Has anyone one this forum been there?

Wow! I wish!

I have talked to my wife before about how much I want to take a vacation there so I can shop for Colonials and see the old Colonial factory in person. Visiting the motherland I call it. Buying a Colonial in Rhode Island would mean so much to me. I have never seen a Colonial for sale in person. Other than the few I got from my grandfather I bought all mine online. I guess they just dont make it out here to Colorado often. I have bought them online from people in Rhode Island before but its not the same thing. But that's pretty cool too.

I buy so many Colonials online and rarely do they come from anywhere but out east. I have been keeping track of which states I buy them from.

The states I buy them from most, in order of most bought, are New York, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Connecticut. I have only bought 2 from west of Colorado. 1 from Arizona and a Forest master from someone in Hollywood CA.

I got a new one yesterday I am excited to have. Its a Kinney shoes knife. I have a black one but I have been trying for years to find a nice white one to go with it. These are very hard to find, especially with out cracked or broken handles.

I can remember my mom taking me to Kinneys to buy a new pair of buster browns when I was a kid.

These knives were ordered from Colonial by Kinney Shoes. They gave them to the employee of the month.

FBIPxk.jpg

4uuQ3I.jpg

4uuQ3I.jpg

DqHs9E.jpg

89N5Ci.jpg

Last edited:
Newport, Rhode Island is a great vacation spot–so long as you go when it's not crowded–and it's only about 45 minutes away.

The Photobucket situation sure has made a mess of this thread. I am going to try to replace all my pictures and keep this going.

I also have a couple new finds to post here soon. I am working on pictures today. :thumbsup:

The Photobucket situation sure has made a mess of this thread. I am going to try to replace all my pictures and keep this going.

I also have a couple new finds to post here soon. I am working on pictures today. :thumbsup:
Thanks! I really enjoy this thread, and always take a look at it as you go along. Much appreciated!

June was a very lucky Colonial month for me. I found a couple I have been trying to find for years. First the white Kinney shoes knife. Then 2 more rare ones before June was over.

I love the old colorful celluloid handled knives. Probably my favorite ones are the end of day knives.

I have been looking for one by Colonial for a long time but have never seen one that wasn't in very bad shape.

I found 2 in June.

This first one I found is an end of day cigar jack. It has the curved tang stamp,aluminum handle pins and was made in the 1930's.

I saw one of these on Ebay a few years back but It was in bad shape with cracks and pieces missing from the handles.

This one has some minor dings and scratches but no cracks anywhere in the handles, has been used very little and is in great condition.

uRVfS2.jpg

8Cp8vN.jpg

POSGNS.jpg

Then A week later I found a very interesting Colonial end of day Fish Knife. It has 2 main blades as well as the combination fish scaler, hook remover and bottle opener blade. It was made in the 1940's.

It has seen more use and probably cleaned a few fish but the knife is still in good shape with very nice handles with no cracks at all.

It is very thick with 3 springs.

2bSVMz.jpg

Qfyvay.jpg

3CgHkh.jpg

I have a similar fish knife with a colorful celluliod handle. It has only 1 blade. The main blades in both fish knives are the same with the same tang stamps.

m0d0yf.jpg

Cfp30B.jpg

Sorry, what's "end of day"?
Beautiful knives.
The pattern started out when small celluloid bits from trimming the material were gathered when cleaning up and then melted together to form the random colorful patterns, once enough scrap was gathered. The bits were the left overs at the end of work each day, hence "end of day."

Last edited:
I love the old colorful celluloid handled knives. Probably my favorite ones are the end of day knives.

I have been looking for one by Colonial for a long time but have never seen one that wasn't in very bad shape.
Those are some very nice examples! I too like the colorful nature of EOD celluloid, each one is so unique. Lucky (well, in a collector's world, translate to that to darn persistent) to find them in such great shape!

Back