Companion Scales and Business Update 1/10/16

Brian.Evans

Registered Member
NEW UPDATE--1/10/16

060027b6d42c5394cf481b991a7ebbc0.jpg

The backordered scales are packaged and ready to ship. I am on shift tomorrow for a 24, so I will be shipping these out on Tuesday after I drop the kiddos off at school.

I will be sending out an email to the people that were high enough on the Companion wait list to get a knife this time within the next hour or so. It is about 1015 CST here. I have around 30 to send out.

AS OF RIGHT NOW, THERE WILL BE NO MORE COMPANIONS FOR THE FORESEEABLE FUTURE. It is with a heavy heart that I say that. I don't have a manufacturer. He went dark and has not responded to several emails over the past month and a half. Once I ship the 30 or so out, I have no more knives in stock and have no more in the pipeline. In fact, unless I get a manufacturer, I AM DONE WITH KNIVES COMPLETELY. Of course, I will continue to support the knives that already out there with regards to warranty claims, etc., but I have no way of making any more right now.

I am working on a solution, but I can't discuss it right now as it is pretty tenuous. If it happens, it will be awesome, but I don't know if it's going to go or not.

I thank each and every one of you that has become a member of the Evans Knife and Tool family over the past several months. My life and my business have taken some pretty wild swings over the past 6 months, hopefully it starts settling down soon. I've been battling depression and just general malaise over not getting to see my kids, my life changing so much, my business changing, all that crap. I was pretty far down the rabbit hole, to be honest. My weight ballooned up to around 304 lbs, which was the highest it has ever been. My apartment was a wreck, just junk and trash, and clothes everywhere. I didn't give a shit what happened next and I really didn't care about anything.

At the urging of a friend, I went to the doctor and had my lipid panels and Vitamin D3 levels drawn. My cholesterol was through the roof. Vitamin D is supposed to be 60-80 and mine was 12. My doctor wanted me to go on statins, which is a scary conversation given that I'm only 30!

I made a decision that I couldn't live like this anymore. I had too much going on and too much to do to feel like crap all the time. I cleaned my apartment spotless and have been keeping it that way. My kids have been through enough chaos, they need somewhere to live that isn't full of it because of clutter. I began losing weight. Today is Day 13 with no sugar, artificial sweeteners, or caffeine. I have been very religious about following low carb/high fat eating and it is showing. I feel much better, have more energy, and the back pain is gone. I've gone from that 304 lbs to 283.8 as of this morning. I started on prescription high dose D3 supplements yesterday, so hopefully that issue will self resolve.

I feel like I'm finally taking back control of my life and my future again. I don't know exactly where my life is going to be in a year, but I have to believe that it will be better than it is right now. Thanks for listening.

Thanks so much for keeping us updated, Mr. Evans. I know what it's like to deal with depression; I'm sorry you're going through that. On the other hand, it's great to hear that things are starting to improve! I regret not becoming an EK&T customer sooner.

Are the prices on the thread in your signature current, or the prices in the latest email?

Last edited:
Thanks so much for keeping us updated, Mr. Evans, and it's great to hear that things are starting to go better! I regret not becoming an EK&T customer sooner.
Are the prices on the last thread current, or the prices in the latest email?

The prices in the email are the current prices.

I just wanted to stop in and say thank you. ever since I received my companion on your very first run, it has been with me every day. I would have to say it is my most used EDC knife. you make an excellent product, sir. you were an absolute pleasure to work with as well. I hope things continue to improve for you, my friend. you work hard, and hard work pays off in due time. prayers up for you and yours! and thank you for the update!

I am not a customer ,I was about to be .. I am happy to hear you are doing better and I will keep you in my thoughts. Please keep your positive actions moving forward for yourself and your children, If you are doing well they will follow. Just some positivity from a possible future customer.

I'm sorry to hear you have to go through that. I was there so you can believe me when I tell you it will eventually smooth out and life will be fine again. Hang on to your kids and keep faith in your knife talent. You gave us the Companion, which is an outstanding little knife. Don't let such talent go to waste. I believe you can make yourself a prominent place in the knife world. I wish you all the best !

I'm glad to hear you're back on track. I'm sure more will fall into place.

And we need more knives like the Companion.

Good to hear you are back on your feet after what you've been through. I can say I'm utterly gutted I didn't get there in time for a companion. It was going to be my first January pay check treat!!

Hopefully you'll find a new path :)

I should have paid for the upgraded autograph version when I ordered mine since they will certainly become collector items.

Seriously though, great to hear about the turn around. Make sure to take care of the little ones. Be a good example for them and the rest will fall into place.

NEW UPDATE--1/10/16

I feel like I'm finally taking back control of my life and my future again. I don't know exactly where my life is going to be in a year, but I have to believe that it will be better than it is right now. Thanks for listening.

You have my full support Brian! I am happy to hear your losing weight and you are another inspiration for myself, I wish you all the best with continuing to produce these amazing knives and I hope your personal life continues to grow better for you and your children, if you need anything you let me know, thanks

It takes a lot to lay it all out on a public forum, I wish the best for you. Looking for a silver lining maybe. Not having the Companion "stuff" to worry about will give you some time to take care of yourself and kids. Then when you get the supply issues worked out you can start over better then ever.
I sure am glad I got mine. I will continue to stop by here and watch for updates.

Best Wishes Brian. I'm new to this forum and was on the waiting list for the 4th run. I received an email from someone selling their companion. The knife was sold before I read the email. If anyone is selling one I would be interested. Thanks
lisportsfan@gmail.com
JDHill
PS Brian,
I'm former NYS EMS a million years ago. Be Safe!

Brian, as everyone prior to me has said, I am pulling for you and only wish you the best; not as a knife maker but as a person. Being a Christian, I rely on my instruction book (Bible) for life's troubles. James said when, not if, you experience various "trials" we are to rejoice knowing that these "trials" produces endurance but endurance must do its complete work, so that we are complete, lacking nothing.

Life is never guaranteed to be easy, in fact, I know of no one that hasn't experienced "crap" in their lives. It is how we respond to those episodes that make us who we are. My prayers are for you to have patience and peace while you work through these tough times. The sun will shine on the other side.

I got my Companion in September, which was I believe the second run? Like many, I added just about every different set of scales to my order. It just further illustrates how great knives like this Companion & G.E. Chen's Duty & Duty II knives need a lot of variables to go right for the makers to get them to us, even though the demand side of the equation is so very strong.

On a more personal note, I too had my life turned upside down about 4-5 years ago via divorce. The downward spiral you experienced is normal, & the cool part is, after you've battled back, you get to reap the rewards of an even more successful & stable life than you had previously...you find yourself with the right woman - someone you can actually trust, your kids are happier & you're happier and much stronger for it, scars aside. I can see from this update that you're well on your way to that bright future...I just wanted to be one more voice that can tell you from experience that your shattered life is repairable, & the really cool part is that the 2.0 version of your life really can be the upgraded version...& that cliché about time healing all wounds - well, I don't know about ALL wounds, but it does heal these types of wounds if you're strong enough to look up & move on, which you've just begun to do. And you're only 30yo - keep your eyes up bro!

Very glad you have decided to better yourself and get healthy! With that said, man I am bummed I missed out on a companion. Saw it in a youtube video and my first thought is I have got to get one. If you ever start again I believe you will do well! Best wishes and keep at it.

I wanted one so badly, I missed the last run by a day... I'm sad to see you stop making them, finally a neck knife that I liked. If any are available I'd nab it.

Back