Consumerism vs Collection vs Hobby

KBA

Sometimes this topic comes up in several subforums here. I thought some may find this documentary interesting. I dont agree with everything but it is a point worth reflecting on. This is only a preview. The full documentary can be found on Netflix.

Last edited:
Good intro. Consumerism does not buy happiness. What does? We're social animals, so the answer is PEOPLE.

With regard to minimalism and consumerism...... In terms of knives, if you are satisfied with a couple knives, that's great. I read about folks here having an edc knife for every day of the month. Sounds like a hell of a lot of effort to me. I separate want and need. My edc need is mostly satisfied by a Vic SAK. I want all kinds of knives (consumerism) and yeah, I enjoy playing with them. I don't need them.

Reactions: KBA
I watched it, they are from MT. I thought is was pretty good, we have simplified our lives in many ways. Each their own, everyone has to figure their own way of living out for themselves.

A fair number of people want to simplify their lives, some have a hard time divesting themselves of fifty years of family heirlooms and the associated memories (me for one). I imagine it's a lot easier for younger folks to do so.

Easiest way to do the minimalist thing is move out of your large house into an apartment or something that's like 800-1000 square feet. No storage unit rentals. It either fits or it goes..... I don't really want to do that personally. I would like to get rid of my storage units. The cost gets tiring.

Easiest way to do the minimalist thing is move out of your large house into an apartment or something that's like 800-1000 square feet. No storage unit rentals. It either fits or it goes..... I don't really want to do that personally. I would like to get rid of my storage units. The cost gets tiring.

My wife and I are actually doing this. We've never had storage units but we have always had way more than we need. We've designed a 950 sq ft home and are praying over where to move. Not based on the video but this video did parallel our desire to raise our girls more intentionally.

Stewardship comes to mind. How I care for my self, my time, my family. I know I consume my time poorly daily. I'm trying to spend less time online and more time living.

The opening to this documentary really reminded me of the early reserve system and the mad rush of buying certain knives.

Hope you all enjoy your 4th

Last edited:
I have way too much junk inside my house. Honestly, eventually I'd like to move into one of those tiny houses and have a big utility shed in the yard. My business is inside my home and I need storage space.

Although I cannot see the OP doc, this topic feels current for me.

I am scaling down hugely, have trailered to the re-store, the re-use-building, the Salvation Army, metal recycling ... anywhere use can be made of 'stuff' as I now call it.

Freeing up. I plan to relocate to minimal digs in a few months. I don't need stuff. I look forward to the lack of stuff. I want time not looking after stuff ... to explore more living. No maintenance, no dusting, more canoeing. Hey, go for a swim, don't dust that. Camp where it is all water, granite, sky ... simplicity calls. In real life as well. Hope I have understood the OP's post ... sight unseen.

I am scaling down hugely, have trailered to the re-store, the re-use-building, the Salvation Army, metal recycling ... anywhere use can be made of 'stuff' as I now call it.

Freeing up. I plan to relocate to minimal digs in a few months. I don't need stuff. I look forward to the lack of stuff. I want time not looking after stuff ... to explore more living. No maintenance, no dusting, more canoeing. Hey, go for a swim, don't dust that. Camp where it is all water, granite, sky ... simplicity calls. In real life as well. Hope I have understood the OP's post ... sight unseen.

For sight unseen I would say you nailed the point of the doc. If you would like to watch it, it is a documentary called: Minimalism and be found on Netflix.

What caught my attention was reflecting on how my children are being raised in a world of 1st world problems and how easily they are accepted and considered the norm.

On a side note:

Anyone who is interested in giving away stuff to Goodwill should research the owner, his intention, and the impact Goodwill has on the economy of third world countries.

I think this is kind of sad news relative to your gardening activities and all the related kinds of things you have mentioned about living where you do.

For sight unseen I would say you nailed the point of the doc. If you would like to watch it, it is a documentary called: Minimalism and be found on Netflix.

What caught my attention was reflecting on how my children are being raised in a world of 1st world problems and how easily they are accepted and considered the norm.

On a side note:

Anyone who is interested in giving away stuff to Goodwill should research the owner, his intention, and the impact Goodwill has on the economy of third world countries.

I think Taldesta has nailed the point of consumerism quite nicely and reflecting on a move toward a more simple but fulfilling life.

What about Goodwill and the Third World? I haven't researched them. When I donate stuff to them, it is almost always a choice between the dumpster and Goodwill for something that is still in good shape such as clothes or a piece of furniture. If something is still good, I'd rather see someone else get some good use out of it. Clothing I donate is often essentially brand new and sometimes still have the tags on them. I buy stuff and it gets ignored or moved to bottom of the pile. It is not uncommon at all that I buy clothing and wear it once (or never) and never really look at it again. My standard wardrobe is a Carhartt tea shirt and khaki/something similar pants. Everything else is seldom worn and there is a lot of the everything else.....

When you say First World, I assume you mean the developed Western nations. There have always been problems. Maybe you could expand on the "accepted and considered the norm" aspect a little (without it becoming political ;)).

Last edited:
My question is does Taldedta have kids?

Let me take some time to give your questions justice. I'm at the doc now getting my elbow looked at (boxing mistake).

I'll also try to find the links on Goodwill so it is not just my thoughts

Kids complicate things unless they are grown. It is a decision to keep the extra space for kids and grandkids sleeping over occasionally or "not". I don't have any kids at home. We do have frequent visits from grand kids. Those small houses seem to be a blend between a mobile home and an efficiency apartment. I've lived in an efficiency apartment before..... while I was comfortable, there simply wasn't enough room and I hate to be forced to "make the bed" every day rather than just tossing it back together semi-made.

Just a few thoughts, links, and of course, opinions :D

1st world problems

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...better-than-most-of-the-rest-of-humanity/amp/

Even though we still have a gap

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2015/09/30/america-wealth-inequality/?source=dam

http://moneytipcentral.com/youre-richer-than-you-think-and-these-graphs-prove-it

Yet, even though the poor amongst us are still more wealthy than most of the world, we cry inequity, or cry over and complain in missing a knife reserve or complain that we don't have 4K or even 1080p tv, or we don't have etc in comparison.

By 1st world problems I am referring to the large percentage of people who fill entitlement and seek 20% more in their standard of living. Those who do not appreciate what they have and focus for the most part on themselves. I could go on.

Yes poor countries hold the same habits actions but for the most part are still community and family based. Not individual based

Our children learn EQ through our influence

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.to...elligence-will-take-kids-farther-in-life/amp/

Yet parents need to work 60 hrs each to keep up their standard of living and neglect to be true parents. Thus kids are raised by MTV, Tv in general, their peers, and more and more politically based school systems. They then and turn and raise their kids the same way creating more of an addiction to greed, lust, slothfulness, and only keep a desire to build their own kingdom. Who are apathetic to the needs of others and their own resources that could help.

I'm not saying all but I am saying a majority.

What Goodwill states

http://www.goodwill.org/uncategorized/think-before-you-donate-and-get-the-facts-about-email-rumors/

On the other hand

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1876905

https://www.google.com/amp/m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57e06b96e4b0071a6e092352/amp

https://nonprofitquarterly.org/2015...treasury-agents-after-whistleblower-is-fired/

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/12/business/second-hand-clothes-africa/index.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th.../second-hand-clothes-charity-donations-africa

Last edited:
I think this is kind of sad news relative to your gardening activities and all the related kinds of things you have mentioned about living where you do.

Thanks, you are right ... but not to worry :) You might remember a post in 2017 gardens with pics taken of my shovelling snow off the roofs of the house and shop for the third time this past winter? I posted my thoughts of my future in a little house with a pointy roof and shorter laneway. I think my days of climbing up an old tv antenna to spend hours hefting shovels of snow are not on my 'love to do list' any more.

You seem to get that I am very, very conflicted about parting with this home - and the land and this wilderness river ... one my parents built upon their retirement in the early 70's. If I want to realize any part of my ambitious bucket list (car camping travel) ... if I want to manage my property without help ... if I want to make decisions about property and future ... rather than waiting for the time when others would have to do it for me - the time is now. While energy, health and driving acumen :D are on my side.

Growing things ... goes with me ... and my new digs are actually familiar - on the Muskoka River, where I have lived in past. The property needs a lot of tlc in the landscaping (and other) areas. All three pups, Tal, Dez and Daisy ... have lived there before too.

And, you are wondering ... what will become of ....

Well, I plan to take Lumpy with me ;)

Thanks, you are right ... but not to worry :) You might remember a post in 2017 gardens with pics taken of my shovelling snow off the roofs of the house and shop for the third time this past winter? I posted my thoughts of my future in a little house with a pointy roof and shorter laneway. I think my days of climbing up an old tv antenna to spend hours hefting shovels of snow are not on my 'love to do list' any more.

You seem to get that I am very, very conflicted about parting with this home - and the land and this wilderness river ... one my parents built upon their retirement in the early 70's. If I want to realize any part of my ambitious bucket list (car camping travel) ... if I want to manage my property without help ... if I want to make decisions about property and future ... rather than waiting for the time when others would have to do it for me - the time is now. While energy, health and driving acumen :D are on my side.

Growing things ... goes with me ... and my new digs are actually familiar - on the Muskoka River, where I have lived in past. The property needs a lot of tlc in the landscaping (and other) areas. All three pups, Tal, Dez and Daisy ... have lived there before too.

And, you are wondering ... what will become of ....

Well, I plan to take Lumpy with me ;)

I bet you would like Wendell Berry

My question is does Taldedta have kids?

Oh, yes! I have almost been able to completely block out their teenage years, but sometimes ... when I close my eyes :eek:

My daughter lives in Florida and my son has returned from the West to this area. Both help me out in ways beyond measure! And I help them whenever I am able as well.

Oh, yes! I have almost been able to completely block out their teenage years, but sometimes ... when I close my eyes :eek:

My daughter lives in Florida and my son has returned from the West to this area. Both help me out in ways beyond measure! And I help them whenever I am able as well.

For some reason I imagine my dad saying the same thing about my 20s ;):D

Gotta love dads' memories ... so much kinder than being there in real time!

I think Taldesta has nailed the point of consumerism quite nicely and reflecting on a move toward a more simple but fulfilling life.

When dad died in 2010, I moved everything I owned here in my van (several trips) and one mickey-mouse trailer. Including my composter and (frozen) contents :eek:

Dad and mum had built here in the early '70's upon his retirement at age 55 ... and until dad was 90, he operated a busy machine shop here - catering to local logging companies, skidders and everything else imaginable.

So, I had my work cut out for me. Think ... 45 years accumulated 'stuff' at a country machine shop. Dad was a depression era Saskatchewan kid and he had smarts to re-use every material he came across. This attitude is honest gold to me ...

I bought a serviceable trailer, an electric winch that attached to the trailer hitch on my van (worked off the battery) ... and I winched, loaded, transported every re-usable bit of material found. Sometimes I had to excavate solid metal parts. My proudest moment hovers between winching the carcass of a 1930's Willis Jeep out of tree trunks grown through it ... and ... dismantling and recycling the carcass of a rotted out Holiday Trailer that dad had always planned to turn into materials storage 'shelter' out behind the shop.

In my time here I have loved deeply this property and every memory of my parents on the morning air. I believe I have honoured my parents' memory in my shaping of their retirement dream home and land. The glorious flowers bloom. It is my time to go. :(

Back