Convexing a Bk16

Dr Rez

Pisser of the Couch
I just received a Bk16 (at last at last) and would like to know if any of you have had good luck with convexing the edge? Could you share any experience you have had with different grinds on a 16 or 17?

Most of my bushcraft knives have a scandi grind so I typically convex them on the stone freehand (scandivex?). I have had a lot more luck in terms on the edges not rolling or chipping out on me this way. What is the best way to convex a FFG like the 16?

As a side note I have found that lots of bars or restaurants have smooth granite or stone sinks in the bathrooms. Call me crazy but I find them to be an incredibly good stropping surface, not to mention soap and fresh water right there to clean your blade after polishing that edge. Next time you are out for a pint or bite remember… take some extra time if you see a good surface to get your tool back in shaving condition.

Side side note is that everyone should one a cheapo knife to practice different sharpening techniques with. Cheap does not mean a 3 dollar flea market knife, but something that doesn’t break the bank yet has a reasonable steal like a mora.

I convex all my outdoor knife edges with a worksharp knife and tool sharpener.
Been digging the Ken Onion version lately.

I have been looking at the Ken Onion worksharp, how do they worksharp compare to the $50 1" x 30" Belt sanders? I would think the belt life would be better with the 1x30.
Belt life would indeed be better, but the 1x30 is not really an ideal knife maintenance tool. It can certainly be done, but the biggest problem is that the belts run too fast which can heat up the blade and ruin your temper.

The Onion Worksharp has adjustable speed which allows you to run the belts nice and slowly, and it is also easier to control your angle with it than with a 1x30. Both of those facets allow for much more precision and control.

You'd be better off doing it by hand with a mouse pad on a glass or stone block than the HF 1x30

I have been useing a worksharp with a half worn medium belt, then a fine belt to get a good hair popping affect. I usually finish it with a ceramic rod. Unless you get the KO model the regular worksharp has a 20 degree attachment which works out well because most Beckers are 20 degree.

I just picked up a nice ceramic rod, I like to use it to finish off my edges, I don't need any sharper than it gets on a ceramic rod.

Thanks everyone for the replies here. I convexed my BK11 and the BK16 yesterday and was able to get them both hair popping sharp with what i THINK is a solid even convex edge.

Back