Cord Wrap Adhesive

Hi Guys,

I am making a walking stick from a pakkawood dowel and would like to attach a paracord lanyard to it without drilling a hole through the wood. I have seen some cord wrapped knife handles in which the cord was dipped in an adhesive that seemed very strong. The adhesive looked to be much thinner in viscosity than the regular epoxy you get from the hardware store. What adhesive is being used on cord wrapped knives and would it be strong enough in adhesion as to not slide down the smooth surface of the pakkawood dowel?

Thanks,
Bill McGrath
tuhonbill@pekiti-tirsia.com

Greetings Bill. Standard epoxy from the syringe locally available is what most use to apply a good light coat after cord wrapping. This helps to seal the cord together and to provide a good surface to grip with. I am not aware of the practice of actually gluing the entire cord surface onto the handle. Could get a bit messy. And difficult to remove if a mistake is made. Perhaps another post on the Shop Talk forum will elicit a greater response. Good luck

Nakano

BTW- SCO Derek G. says hello...

I use Devcon 2-ton epoxy for my cord wrapped knife handles. DO NOT use the 5 minute version though. If you do dissappointment will follow. I would tie your knot however you want then mix and apply the epoxy. If you do this where it's warm you won't have too long to work with the epoxy. The package sayes 20 minutes but at 80 degrees you'll have under 10. I apply it thick so it can soak in then wipe off the excess. You may want to tape off areas you'd rather not have epoxy contact. Have fun!

Bill Siegle

I use laminating epoxyresins for impregnating my cordwrapped handles.
It's thinner than the epoxy glues. For fixation of the wraps before the epoxy I also use several kinds of cyanoacrilate (superglue).
I also make my own scales in linen, kevlar or carbonfiber using the laminating epoxy.

Jan

Back