Couple of Pics

Not Fiddlebacks but some cool critters that I had to move prior to a camping event at my place:

Patch by Rick Stowe:
0A86CA2A-1FB7-4533-A76E-99FCFD36A7BA_zps892mnx1g.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Knives by Andy Roy:
21FC0C91-1CEC-4EBC-B1D7-2D48B1C030FC_zps7wbdpk74.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

To be fair, they are in the same genus, and both are colloquially called moccasin's around here. They seem remarkably participatory in these photos :)

cool pic DJ. I found the nest at my house and was able tear it down, catch and relocate the last one.

Much easier snake to get along with than a Water Moccasin. Copperheads always move away from people. Carl Rechsteiner used to keep them as pets. I've been chased by Cottonmouiths that we weren't even threatening. Plus, a Cottonmouth is an ugly mean looking SOB. Those are pretty. I don't understand how you got them to pose like that though. My neighbor killed one a few years back with a shovel then called me over to identify it. She was appalled when I skinned it out right in front of her. I cured the skin and inlaid it in a sheath or two. Still have a small piece. I came very close to death once at the hand of a GIANT Water Moccasin in S. Louisianna. One of the scariest moments of my life.

No offense TripleT, but it doesn't suprise me that in 'gator' country they lump these two totaly different looking snakes with totaly different personalities together. LOL.

When we were out Mtn Biking earlier this week my son ran up and (nearly over?) a Copperhead that was out Sunning in the Dupont State Forest. He was rather freaked out about it and for that matter so was the snake which then moved off the trail into some nearby tall grass. It was quite agitated and making very loud hissing call. Fortunately... My son did not get bitten. We moved on and so did the snake.

Kermit, love to see the pictures of your "pets" with some awesome knives. The rest of the photos of the weekend looked great as well.

Yup. This exactly. I've come across Copperheads that actually let me gently stroke their backs (very carefully...and from behind as they crawled away). And I've had Cottonmouths chase me out of pond. Literally chase me. And I'm telling you without shame, I was running! I've met rattlesnakes that were far less aggressive!

I also wonder how you got them to pose like that, and laughed at TripleT's message: "They seem remarkably participatory in these photos"! Man, you've got a way with words.

Incredible pictures!

Much easier snake to get along with than a Water Moccasin. Copperheads always move away from people. Carl Rechsteiner used to keep them as pets. I've been chased by Cottonmouiths that we weren't even threatening. Plus, a Cottonmouth is an ugly mean looking SOB. Those are pretty. I don't understand how you got them to pose like that though. My neighbor killed one a few years back with a shovel then called me over to identify it. She was appalled when I skinned it out right in front of her. I cured the skin and inlaid it in a sheath or two. Still have a small piece. I came very close to death once at the hand of a GIANT Water Moccasin in S. Louisianna. One of the scariest moments of my life.

No offense TripleT, but it doesn't suprise me that in 'gator' country they lump these two totaly different looking snakes with totaly different personalities together. LOL.

back in 2012 we had a big summer drought here in MO. We my wife went to the spring has to get a bucket of water and a cottonmouth raised up in this cold water and almost struck her right on the arm. They are a terrible and aggressive snake and I will kill any of them I see.

We don't have any cottonmouths in Northern Virginia. But our dog found a copperhead in our backyard just about a month ago. Luckily no dogs or snakes were harmed, but it sure startled the heck out of me.

Can't say if I found those two the first thing that would come to mind is "Photo shoot, quick get the Fiddlebacks." But I certainly respect you for it. They are beautiful creatures. I had a Peruvian long tailed boa when I was young that resembles them some.

Can't say if I found those two the first thing that would come to mind is "Photo shoot, quick get the Fiddlebacks." But I certainly respect you for it. They are beautiful creatures. I had a Peruvian long tailed boa when I was young that resembles them some.

my first response was to back outta the thread.

yep
im afraid of snakes

Regarding the pose...there are many potential explanations:

1) Snakes in my area have a defeatist attitude since wholesale slaughter is common. They are expecting sudden death so they figure "why bother?" Every species of snake in my neck of the woods is perceived as a copperhead with an AK-47.

2) Most of the snakes are really competitive since a few from my property have gone on to be successful. If you walk into the woods here, a snake will pull on your pant's leg, hand you a resume, and request to pose for a pic.

3) The snakes are fans of high quality blades and are honored to have a picture with them. As a matter of fact, the snake on the right asked me if I didn't at least have a Busse to pose with:D

On a serious note:

As Mistwalker said, copperheads are the most common venomous snake in eastern TN. It is about impossible to find a timber rattlesnake. I have one on my property that has been there > 10years but haven't seen him in a good while. The lady who lived in my parent's house in the 50's died from a copperhead bite to the neck. I have only been bitten once by a copperhead that I stepped on (partial envenomation) and once by a large timber (relatively dry bite). Have been bitten by a nonindigenous Fiddleback once and Black Widow x 2.

My kingsnake population has disappeared so I have been seeing more copperheads over the past 2 years.

Juvenile cottonmouths sure do look alot like their cousins, though.

virginiaherpetologicalsociety.com said:

Keep the pics coming, Dysphoric Joy! I really enjoyed them.

Regarding the pose...there are many potential explanations:

1) Snakes in my area have a defeatist attitude since wholesale slaughter is common. They are expecting sudden death so they figure "why bother?" Every species of snake in my neck of the woods is perceived as a copperhead with an AK-47.

2) Most of the snakes are really competitive since a few from my property have gone on to be successful. If you walk into the woods here, a snake will pull on your pant's leg, hand you a resume, and request to pose for a pic.

3) The snakes are fans of high quality blades and are honored to have a picture with them. As a matter of fact, the snake on the right asked me if I didn't at least have a Busse to pose with:D

On a serious note:

As Mistwalker said, copperheads are the most common venomous snake in eastern TN. It is about impossible to find a timber rattlesnake. I have one on my property that has been there > 10years but haven't seen him in a good while. The lady who lived in my parent's house in the 50's died from a copperhead bite to the neck. I have only been bitten once by a copperhead that I stepped on (partial envenomation) and once by a large timber (relatively dry bite). Have been bitten by a nonindigenous Fiddleback once and Black Widow x 2.

My kingsnake population has disappeared so I have been seeing more copperheads over the past 2 years.

This is great! :D

Back