Couple of Pics

Small world. I grew up on a rice farm in between Rayne and Crowley and am all to familiar with these bad tempered critters. Don't know if it is a mean temperament or curiosity but these are the only snakes that were always willing to come meet me when walking levees or running crawfish traps.

Beautiful little hog nose snake. He hisses and puffs up. Thanks to DJ for the confirmation.

Just checking in for an identity assist. This is just a little fellow. We're thinking either Spread Natter (or Adder?) or Hognose. When we went to release it, it did a whole writhing around deal and then laid on its back to play dead. It was also able to flatten out its head. Location: Victoria/Inex TX which is in South TX, 25 miles from the Gulf, 100 miles west-ish of Houston.

edit: Looks a lot like bmurray's Hognose and just saw that post. Didn't get his head to take shape like bmurray's though.

Thanks

(Shown in a small Folgers container)

Snake%202.jpg

20160904_141453%203.jpg

I'm not 100% certain but it looks like a baby hognose. I'm pretty sure that the hognose is the only snake that does the whole play dead thing as well. Again, not 100% on that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beautiful little hog nose snake. He hisses and puffs up. Thanks to DJ for the confirmation.

How big was this one? Looks maybe about the size I posted. Funny how their heads/necks can take on different shapes.

And...on the road today.

His shell was pretty scarred up. I'm thinking this guy has seen some rough days, and is a tough survivor.

Deer hunting last Friday, I spooked up a couple nice sized (~3') buzz worms while hiking around (Prairie Rattlers), not 10 minutes apart. :eek: These guys should be going into hibernation before too long. These are the biggest hazard hunting in this area this time of year. Yeah, a pack of Coyotes could jump you, or a Mountain Lion could rip your throat out in an instant, or a Black Bear could make you have a really bad day, but it's a LOT more likely to get bit by a rattler. :thumbdn: :barf:

This guy wasn't too aggressive. He warned me of his presence before I got too close to him on the path, and then just started to wander away. Let me get a good pic of him before we parted ways.

#2 (video, click it)

However, this guy was NOT in a pleasant mood! :grumpy: I was walking down a road at this point, and was pretty much in the middle, when this guy, at the edge of the road about 8 feet away, gets all pissy and starts rattlin' and immediately coils up. That's not typical in my experience. I had to get a video to send my wife... She freaked!!! :D I was still plenty far enough away that he couldn't hit me, but she has this Hollywood vision of a snake leaping 10' into the air to bite you. :rolleyes:

Hunting on Sunday morning, I saw this decent-sized Wolf spider. She was only about 2.5" across. :D

Last edited:
Great pics Spyder.

DJ...how the hell do you do it? You just step out your back door and see Copperheads everywhere?

And why the hell am I jealous?

#2 (video, click it)

However, this guy was NOT in a pleasant mood! :grumpy: I was walking down a road at this point, and was pretty much in the middle, when this guy, at the edge of the road about 8 feet away, gets all pissy and starts rattlin' and immediately coils up. That's not typical in my experience. I had to get a video to send my wife... She freaked!!! :D I was still plenty far enough away that he couldn't hit me, but she has this Hollywood vision of a snake leaping 10' into the air to bite you. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing! That reminds me of the movie Elf and the quote "He's an angry elf" :)

DJ...how the hell do you do it? You just step out your back door and see Copperheads everywhere?

And why the hell am I jealous?

Because that area of the Tennessee hills got its name for a reason ;)

[video=youtube_share;xvaEJzoaYZk]http://youtu.be/xvaEJzoaYZk[/video]

Exactly. Song is fairly accurate as well.

Used to be a fairly accurate description of the hills here. Then the old timers got to old to make shine, and now the issue is getting to be paranoid speed freaks guarding meth and heroine labs with scoped rifles from what a deputy friend told me. Pretty sad. I know a group of coon hunters in Sequatchie Co. that are all combat vets. Spooking those old boys while they're out hunting could start an interesting little war :) .

Used to be a fairly accurate description of the hills here. Then the old timers got to old to make shine, and now the issue is getting to be paranoid speed freaks guarding meth and heroine labs with scoped rifles from what a deputy friend told me. Pretty sad. I know a group of coon hunters in Sequatchie Co. that are all combat vets. Spooking those old boys while they're out hunting could start an interesting little war :) .

Accurate description of the little hollow I live in. The guy up the road used to sit on his porch with his scope AR, glassing anyone who came up - it's a dead end road, and it gave him all the time he needed to prep if the sheriff was paying a visit. Until our friendly neighborhood LE officers decided to do a bit of nighttime woods work and came over through the forest from the back of his place. Let's just say the ol' boy no longer lives up the road - he's in a slightly more secure facility.

Love me some Steve Earle!

Back