Review CPK Mark's FM7 Folder Specs

CPK Mark

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I've had lots of inquiries about the folder I debuted at Blade this year. I apologize for just now getting the information to you guys, but Nathan doesn't let me off my chain too often.
The main questions have been specs on materials and dimensions.
OAL is 9.5. It is a substantial knife.

Blades are cpm 3v and mic out around .215 (nice and thick). Of course they were heat treated at the CPK compound so we all know what that means. I hollow ground these blades on my Burr King with a 10" wheel for the primary grinds and an 8" wheel for the top grinds. Did a few compound grinds as well. Prototypes were sharpened at 22.5 degrees.

The Frame and lockside are constructed from 6al4v knifemakers grade titanium. This stuff is well worth it's higher cost. It is flat and free from surface imperfections. I love it.
Both frame and lock mic out at .204. The lockside also utilizes a D2 tool steel insert (HRC56) that interfaces the locking tang on the blade. The insert has a 5 degree angle while the blade uses 7 degrees. This insures the proverbial "bank vault" lockup while making disengagement a breeze. The insert also has a tab integrated that fits a machined slot to make it impossible to overspring the lock.

For the action, I've utilized an AKS .250 pivot and bearing system, also using their thrust washers. For this knife, it is my opinion that this is the finest system available. Very tight tolerances. The original prototypes used (.0625) 52100 detent balls. The later protos use ceramic as will any possible future runs.

The backspacer is solid g10 that is handlapped on a surface plate to match the blade and counterbore math.

Finally, the pocket clip is machined from a billet piece of 6al4v titanium that uses a ball-bearing to retain the knife in your pocket. Holds it tight but doesn't make it impossible to remove.

I'm sure I've forgotten some things but I'm tired. I will also post pics of parts as well as comparasion pics with other folders. Thanks for your time

Last edited:
Every direction you guys go is just so right.. I have literally been fist pumping and saying "yeeeeessssss" through clenched teeth every time any of you Carothers folks post something new.. thank you for excellent decision making and perfect execution. It's like you're in my head.

Thanks Mark. Austin absolutely loves his. He carries it EDC and is using it.

Put me down for one, if you make some more. I should have claimed one at the show.

Thanks for sharing Mark.

Do these fit under the CPK brand, or will they feature your own Marking?

Are these going to be a regular offering, or are you working these as a side project?

We've all been anxiously awaiting a folder from Nathan for a while now, so I am sure you are going to get a lot of interest!

Don't mean to speak for Mark, but this was covered somewhere in the forum, in the Blade Show threads I think. They're Mark's, not of the CPK brand.

Don't mean to speak for Mark, but this was covered somewhere in the forum, in the Blade Show threads I think. They're Mark's, not of the CPK brand.

I apologize if I was incorrect when I said "Carothers folks". I didn't realize it was a separate brand.

But regardless, fantastic design and work.. I'm super psyched!

Thanks fellas. Bob is correct. I will try to get some pics up tomorrow

Sounds awesome. Looking forward to the pictures. I have an itch that only a 3V folder can scratch. :thumbsup:

Sounds like a beast of a folder. What is it behind the edge or what was it taken down to before sharpening?

Mark, reading your post makes me think you're just the right man for the job. I'm looking forward to meeting you!

Wow sounds like a tank of a folder !! My kinda knife :)
Put me down for one,, to start lol

Hi Mark, apart from price, availability and your intended marketing format; some other details such as blade dimensions (length, height) and the weight of the folder. Since you had already mentioned that this is a hefty folder, I am not expecting something for easy CA summer carry (cargo shorts and as such in warmer climates) or even an EDC folder per se, but perhaps a very rugged and stout folder which can sub if one is in a pinch for a fixed blade knife of similar weight and dimensions.

As far as the more "dainty" and delicate slicer type of folders go, I already have my fix of favorite models and manufacturers although this does not negate the appetite for peeking in a different direction. As for a midtech or custom brute of a folder that I can swear by on my life, I have none on the roster! So for now, this is my conundrum.

Thanks for taking time to share some of that with us. Sounds like a helluva stout folder.

Tried to post pics last night but I guess they are too big. I'll try to work that out at some point today.
Oal- approx 9.5"
Blade length - 4.0" from end of frame. 4.5" from pivot to tip and Frame is 4.96" from pivot to butt
Blade width - 1.56"
Weight- 10.0 oz. with deep 10" hollow grinds. Some may be a little heavier.

Last edited:
I'll post up your pictures if you like

Back