Recommendation? CQC-10 or other spearpoint/bowie style

Very keen to find end user impressions on how they feel the ergos on this knife are.

I like the ergos on the Kershaw Emersons CQC-8K, 6K, 4KXL and on the real stuff, the CQC-8 and CQC-7W.

I thought not having a thumb disc could make sharpening easier. But I don't know how people have found it versus the thumb disc in actually opening the knife.

Also, what do you guys thing about this knife in general? Been thinking next time I can buy one, it'd be a commander, one of these, or whatever is nice and spearpointy or clippy from about 3.5" to 4". I wonder do I already have the sweet spot in the cqc-8 but open to ideas! Thanks.

CQC-10-SF.jpg

The 10 is a good all around knife, one of the more simple Emerson designs but if it were between a spearpoint or bowie I would choose the bowie all day long.
Either a 13 or a Sheepdog are good choices. Good handle on the Sheepdog and even better on the 13. Similar blade on both with a nice pointy tip that doesn't get too thin.
I have never had an issue with the thumb disk while sharpening but if you did it is easy to take off and put back on every so often.

I prefer spearpoint. The cqc10 is in my opinion one of Emersons best designed production knives. Now the reason I prefer spearpoint is because as Emersons are often carried with the potential to be used as self defense backups a spear point is better for stabbing if using edge facing inward grips.

Love the 10, feels awesome in hand, blade shape is great and it's a beefy work horse.

I view my 15 as the in case of deployment knife and the 10 as I'm going for a hike/weekend knife...if that helps at all! ;)

Thanks gents. It went unstated in my OP, the big problem is not being able to handle one prior to purchase.

It looks like I will like the handle, given the other models I have liked. My only concern I guess would be one hand opening with the hole. Is it about as easy as using a thumb disc or spidey hole?

Cheers!

Opening an Emerson with the hole is no challenge at all. And while it is certainly not a smooth as a Spyderco, it is no harder than using the thumbdisk.
Even on my little Micro Commander with its little hole I have no problem opening the knife at all. Emersons as a general rule open up more like a Chris Reeve Knife with a hydraulic sort of smoothness rather than a flick open type of knife. On some with larger blades like my Super Roadhouse the blade flies open with no problem, but on my CQC7s (cqc7f not included) the knife opens more hydraulically.

I am not sure if you know this but most Emersons upon purchase should be opened up and cleaned of the copper fleck containing grease that comes as a standard lubricant. After that apply some of the lubricant of your choice (I prefer Benchmade BluLube) and the knife will be considerably smoother.

Thanks, glad to know that you find the 10 easy to deploy, that'd be on the shopping list, although I have to say I'm really also dead keen on acquiring a commander and any one of those other clip points.

I need help. I don't actually need new knives, but you know how that goes. :p

Regarding the stock lube, Do you really need to strip and clean them, when new? I bought two recently, a CQC-7 and an 8, BOTH virtually brand new and honestly, have no issues with their opening them. I figured if it's looking fine from the outside, I don't need to screw with it yet till I have to delint the knife of pocket fluff. Of course, I don't expect to centrifugally flick them open.

If "something bad" will happen if I leave the copper grease in, then, yeah, I'll strip them down today. Thanks.

No you do not have to strip them down and relube them. I was just saying that because many people find the stock lube they come with abit thick for their liking.

Nothing bad will happen if you leave the copper fleck grease on. Infact it seems to help the knives break in faster.

The CQC-10 is a great piece. The thumb hole makes it easier for some cutting tasks since there isn't a disk to impede longer cutting strokes. Makes slicing a little easier. An honorable mention for another knife would be the Vindicator. Has a nice clip point and a recurve. Just be warned that it does have a beefier handle when compared to the slimmer CQC-8 or 4KXL.

I have had a 10 since the end of Feb and I LOVE IT! I REALLY like the spidy hole Vs the thumb disc. Nothing to get in the way of a cut all the way to the handle. Great all around blade shape and size and opens with authority from the pocket.

Don't worry about the Factory grease. Just practice opening the knife and it will get to be smooth and reliable every time. Practice practice practice.

Thanks, gents. Trouble is now, one of ye mentioned the 15 as well and I'm drooling over that and the aftershock as well!

Still, I think that CQC-10 spearpoint should come first in priority as it is somewhat unusual for an Emerson.

Yes, I think it will.

3 months from now, I'll let yous know!

I have a bunch of production Emersons - too many actually.

I am very partial to the 8 and the Horseman; they get the most pocket time by far and the most use. I like just about all of them - but the shape of the 8s gets done most of what I need done with a folder just fine - and it's sexy! If it ever needs be pressed into service for something else, I'm sure it will be up to the task though thankfully that day has not presented itself.

That said, I was selected to possess and use a CQC-10 on another forum which had a pass around of sorts of the CQC-10; the "Travelling 10." I was basically on vacation, although the weather did not allow for the fishing and boating we had hoped for, but it was a week off in Key Largo in preparation for towing my boat north 1300 miles. Though I did not demolish any buildings, break down cement walls, survive in the wild or kill bad guys with the 10, it was my EDC for the trip. It was the first time I ever so much as touched a CQC-10.

Well, the 8 may still be my favorite, (what's not to like about that sexy, slender curve and get 'er done design?) but after returning the Travelling 10 to its owner I purchased one - should hopefully arrive before I go to Atlanta.

I would dare say that the CQC-10 is the do-it-all Emerson, despite the admitted attributes of other models in the range. Not the sexiest, not the prettiest, not the most tactical looking and not the most unique - its understated appearance and formidable functionality are appealing.

Last edited:
Back