CQC-7 is a pretty awesome knife

I use a Spyderco Double Stuff for my Emersons and it does a great job with the chisel grind. Match the angle on the ground side as closely as you can, and just a few light strokes on the other side as shallow as you can go. Scary sharp in no time.

^ thanks. It's my daughters 3 wheeler. :) lol her name is Emerson to believe it or not. Long story but true. Lol

I would be willing to wager that the CQC-7 is the gateway knife that got so many of us into Emersons.

Last edited:
Salty, YES the 7 was my gateway Emerson. I now have 6 emerson blades and want more, which brings a question I need help with.
I work in LE, no not a road cop any more, dispatch. The Sheriff requires us to be armed on duty though and I carry my Ruger SR1911cmd (ME LIKE!) I now carry a Rendition but am wanting a deep carry(ankle carry) for another knife. I was thinking the mini cqc7 with out the wave feature, BUT the question is should I get a straight edge or get serrations with it. It will be a last ditch emergency only blade for when things have gotten REALLY bad and I am still functional.

Any of Y'all got any ideas of which one and why?

This is kind of an old thread you revived so I don't know if the previous posters will answer your question.

To me the choice to get serrations largely depends on how your sharpening abilities are. If you are able to keep your knife sharp you may not need serrations. However others prefer serrations because they feel the get aggressive tearing cuts out of them.

I don't think a folder would make a very good knife for ankle carry. I would think the best knife in Emerson's line up for ankle carry would probably be his version of La Griffe knife. That is more along the lines of what I think of when it comes to a backup last ditch deep cover knife. You can also hide the La Griffe in many places as it is a neck knife as well. You can hide it in waist band, up your sleeve and practically anywhere.

Way to go on the Emersons though. Emersons are some of my favourite knives on the market. The CQC7 was the first higher end and real tactical knife that I got.

Lapedog, thank you for answering. I already have an A.G. Russell ringer knife, the hooked bladed one. It's not all that large but would be wicked if ever needed. I am looking mainly for just something to carry and I agree I personally think the 7 is to large for this purpose but is about the smallest emerson makes. You maybe just made up my mind for me and thank you.

I need to get me an Emerson knife soon.

I got a 7BW and love it but love my CQC-8 much more, nice (larger) size, ergos, nice belly for cutting. 'Tis a beautiful knife indeed. There's also a mini 8 ("horseman") if you prefer smaller.

I'll warn you, you buy one, you'll likely want more. That's my problem.

The 7 is the right size and right design for so many things. I like the knife so much that I am willing to put up with the chisel grind, chisel edge ... and both of which being on the wrong side for us right handed folks.

Back